Gear Talk > Third Party Manufacturers

GigaPan - check out some of these Gigapan images - 272 GIGApixels?

<< < (3/3)

Northstar:
I spent some more time looking through these images and I just find them so amazing and interesting...I gotta learn more about this software...

CarlTN:
I do enjoy gigapan images, but I wonder if there is a commercial appeal?  How much money can you make by taking gigapan images (if you want to, that is)?  I mean, I would really rather look at a very large (or even just a 40x60) print, rather than zoom in on a computer screen.  Is there a market for selling billboard-size prints that people can place their noses against?  Maybe it's just me.  I recall the guy who used a large film format camera, scanned the negatives, and got images of several gigapixel from them.  Then some art gallery displayed large prints.  Not sure anyone bought them.  In a way that's more interesting, because the time the shutter was open, was much shorter than the time it takes to use a gigapan.  I just see this as a cool novelty, but maybe it's just me.  Nothing wrong with taking photos for fun or to just generally document a place, I guess.  Certainly the panoramic effect, can be intoxicating...but I don't think a panoramic shot needs to be much more than half of one gigapixel...of course I'm just thinking of making a 60 or 90 inch print from the image, rather than zooming in online.

Normalnorm:

--- Quote from: CarlTN on February 02, 2013, 12:36:07 AM ---I do enjoy gigapan images, but I wonder if there is a commercial appeal?  How much money can you make by taking gigapan images (if you want to, that is)?  I mean, I would really rather look at a very large (or even just a 40x60) print, rather than zoom in on a computer screen.  Is there a market for selling billboard-size prints that people can place their noses against? 

--- End quote ---

That is a great question as it seems that so many on the web are obsessed with resolution.
I did read an article about a fellow who used one to make hi res images of house interiors.Fine art applications are also a possibility but one is limited to minimal motion in the subject. For me, I use traditional image stitching to generate hi res images of art work for giclee printing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version