July 29, 2015, 06:29:25 PM

Author Topic: Need Best Monitor for Photo Edits  (Read 10362 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Need Best Monitor for Photo Edits
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »
I'm building a new desktop just to handle my photo editing.  I'm putting all the good stuff into it (SSD's, i7, etc. etc.).  However, there are so many good monitors out there.

What's best?  What do you all use and love?  Whatever I use will be calibrated - I just want suggestions for specific models.  I'm guessing ISP, right?

Can you all help?

Thanks in advance.

Dell UP2414Q has UHD, programmable screen uniformity compensation, programmable internal high bit LUT, very wide gamut, IPS, uses advanced variable direct current driven backlight powering of the LEDs and does not use PWM (pulse width modulation to flicker the backlight in order to change the intensity as many screens do), very good price for UHD now.

Dell is coming out with a 27" 14MP beyond UHD monitor very soon. I imagine it will be similar to the above model otherwise. The price is steep though and might take a year to come down.

I personally upgraded from a NEC PA241W to the Dell UP2414Q. The Dell calibrates (much more slowly and more of a pain, I used a mix of the built-in software for calibration and then Argyl for profiling) fully as precisely and accurately as the NEC did and it has the newer, less grainy panel type. The PA NEC do have unlimited profiles while the Dell forces you to use internal storage for profiles only and they give you just a few bytes of storage (crazy in this day and age) so you can only store profiles for miniDP connector and two more for the DP connector for a total of four. However the only UHD Nec monitors out now are EA series and they only let you program the native gamut mode, you can't reprogram the sRGB simulation at all so it ends up giving a far less accurate tone curve than the Dell does for sRGB + sRGB TRC or sRGB + Gamma 2.2.

The UHD is astonishing. I can't stress enough how much better UHD/4k looks than the lower res 2560x or HD monitors do.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:05:07 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »
Have you considered the new iMac Retina Display?
+100

Why put this all together and then be dealing with the clutter.  iMac Retina and done (upgraded video card & SSD only, do RAM aftermarket).  Otherwise, the Dell Ultrasharp models are a descent option.

The problem with the Apple is the display is the computer and it lacks wide gamut and internal calibration and screen uniformity control. The 14MP is pretty astonishing though so it's certainly very good all the same.

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 02:08:17 PM »

I have the Dell U2414Q which is 4K with excellent colors, but it's a pain to get above 30 Hz update, even though it's supposed to support 60 Hz. In fact, I haven't succeeded :-(

You need to connect it by DisplayPort connector to get 60Hz and you need to go into the control panel and make sure you have DisplayPort 1.2 enabled set to true.

What are you trying to drive it with? Some Macs are locked to drive 4k/UHD at only 30Hz or even not at all (like my old MAC Mini, a hack gets it to drive UHD at 30Hz with no problem though, not sure why Apple locks things that their hardware supports just fine, I guess they want you to have to buy a new machine!!!!). It's trivial to drive it at 60Hz with my main Windows box.

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »
If you want the best, NEC or Eizo

Next level down, I really like the Asus ART series.  1+ billion colors,  will run 2550x1600 or what ever the exact resolution is and has great viewing little glare, and one of the few monitors that really goes through decent calibration out of the factory and gives you a report with your monitor of its results.

Cannot recommend Dell or HP. 

I have owned or worked with a dozen of each in their better monitors and with Dells ran into a TON of dead pixels over time, and with HP just some washiness with their image

I went through no less than 4 of the Dell U2410s like 6 years ago and after a month or two dead pixels would develop.  I go so sick and tired resolving with techs over India as well as by the 2nd replacement, they were sending Refurbs, not new, and that really pissed me off.  If I have something die in warranty, I do not want a cheaper refurb. 

I started really watching my serial numbers because I was convinced I was going to get one of my old monitors back.  I finally got a refund, but had to pursue it as a claim with AmericanExpress and charge protection

Your mileage may vary

The Premiere Color Dells now like UP2414Q perform great.

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2014, 02:11:10 PM »

Don't be afraid buying the most expensive one that fits your need - a good screen should last more years than any decent computer, and you will be staring at it all the time. Make it worth it.

+1

It's crazy that people will spend thousands and tens of thousands on camera gear and then want to limit the monitor budget to like $250. Some spend $1200 just to get a slightly higher res lens or this or that and then get the cheapest monitor they can. So you get all these technically perfect images but then don't have anything to see them on in good fashion.

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2014, 02:50:38 PM »
Unfortunately the lack of 30 bit support in Mac OS puts that out of my reach. I don't mind Windows 7, I have both a Mac and a PC hooked up to my NEC PA271w, but I can't say I've ever wanted to migrate my photo editing to that platform.

My understanding is that even in Windows 7 running in 30 bit requires a lot of compromises in the OS. I've considered putting a 30 bit card in the PC and switching back and forth to see if there is a considerable difference but why torture myself. In any event, I generally find that the seemingly superior image quality of any new display wears off in about a week or two as my brain adjusts to the new normal. Just like a new TV or stereo speakers.

Apple, despite their many flaws and indifference to the needs of their professional users, still works best for me.  It can be a bit of love/hate relationship but divorce is out of the question.

What compromise?

Not all programs will use it, but I have yet to have an issue with having to make a change to my system running 30-bit and some software I run is 10+ years old.

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2014, 02:58:37 PM »

Don't be afraid buying the most expensive one that fits your need - a good screen should last more years than any decent computer, and you will be staring at it all the time. Make it worth it.

+1

It's crazy that people will spend thousands and tens of thousands on camera gear and then want to limit the monitor budget to like $250. Some spend $1200 just to get a slightly higher res lens or this or that and then get the cheapest monitor they can. So you get all these technically perfect images but then don't have anything to see them on in good fashion.

It is not crazy at all.  Most people are extremely foolish in this regard. 

I used to see it in the home stereo world where they would have all their money in Amps and components but nothing in speakers.  In the car stereo world, they would have great head unit and speakers, decent amps but lousy cabling and power. 

$3000 suit, $150 Johnson Murphy shoes...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2014, 02:58:37 PM »

PFerrara

• SX60 HS
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »
I like my Viewsonic VP2770-LED.  But I don't really have any other monitors I can compare it to.  It was a big upgrade from a 4:3 ratio Viewsonic I used to use (now in the kid's room).  Never had a problem with the old Viewsonic which is why I stuck with the brand.

http://www1.viewsonic.com/products/vp2770led.htm

retina

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »
+1 for NEC & EIZO

dilbert

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 01:29:57 AM »
Word of warning.

The industry making screens and panels jumped the gun and has been producing screens that are not capable of displaying the full 4K/UHDTV gamut. Avoid paying a premium for anything that is "4K" unless it is also "Rec 2020 compliant."

That aside, any monitor that has inbuilt calibration (e.g. NEC Spectraview) is a "best fit" for photo edits.

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »
Word of warning.

The industry making screens and panels jumped the gun and has been producing screens that are not capable of displaying the full 4K/UHDTV gamut. Avoid paying a premium for anything that is "4K" unless it is also "Rec 2020 compliant."

That aside, any monitor that has inbuilt calibration (e.g. NEC Spectraview) is a "best fit" for photo edits.

nothing is fully rec. 2020 compliant though at the moment

If you wait for that you probably wait for a number of years and lose out on incredible 4k+ for all that time.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2014, 05:41:50 PM »
NEC Spectraview series.
Sold my PA271 and looking to upgrade to the PA322 - this is a 4K monitor, with SpectraView calibration, available any day now.

I recommend a look at Lloyd Chambers "Mac Performance Guide" regarding the new iMac.
  http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20141103_2226-iMac-goes-back.html

He is reviewing 4K monitors, should have the LG up for review soon.

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20141102_1056-LG-4K-display.html

Lastly, here is a interesting article regarding true monitor calibration:

http://diglloyd.com/articles/Recommended/display-calibration.html

Thanks.  Very interesting.  One thing I have is that I need to keep my monitor brightness turned down, else the monitor is too bright and the print is too dark.  I know a lot of people who have work around for this (apply a curve, adjust levels x points, ...) but in the end, just dim your monitor.  It is much simpler.

harryjackson442

• Canonflex
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »
Yes IPS panel monitors are the best for photo editing.And if you are looking for specific models,here are top products that have been tried and tested over time: Dell U2412M, Asus PB278Q, Dell U2711, Samsung S27B970D, Nec PA301W, Apple Thunderbolt MC 914 LL/B, Eizo CG246, and a few others. If you wish to see more including info that shows what makes them the best for photo editing, see this page

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »

Bishop80

• SX60 HS
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »
...What's best?  What do you all use and love?  Whatever I use will be calibrated - I just want suggestions for specific models.  I'm guessing ISP, right?

Can you all help?
Thanks in advance.

As if you didn't have enough suggestions already :)   I have been using the HP DreamColor LP2480zx 24" IPS display for several years now and have been pleased.  It has RGB LED backlighting and covers 100% of sRBG and Adobe RGB and then some.  I drive it with an ATI FirePro V3800 10-bit card over DisplayPort (this card has 10-bit support in Photoshop).

FYI: the Dreamcolor Calibration Solution device is required to calibrate the monitor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »