Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

6D not usable for shooting video?

<< < (2/12) > >>

paul13walnut5:

--- Quote from: titokane on January 25, 2013, 11:15:01 AM ---If you have the $1000 more to spend the 5D3 is great, but if not the 6D is a great alternative. We've been filming around moire issues for years with the 5D2 so saying the 6D isn't usable for shooting video is like saying a new Camry isn't drivable because it only goes just as fast as a Camry from a few years ago and not as fast as a new Lexus.

I've been using the 6D for video since it came out. My clients are happy with the results. Other shooters are constantly blown away by the low-light capabilities. If you absolutely have to shoot moire-inducing patterns regularly, and can't get around it by turning the in-camera sharpening off, tweaking focus, or pointing the camera somewhere else, you obviously know which camera to buy. Otherwise, if you can't figure out how to shoot a good video on the 6D spending the extra grand isn't going to help.

--- End quote ---

+1

Moire is potentially an issue on any camera, just so happens the roof tiles hit the magic pitch to annoy your sensor.  I get the same issue on XDCAMHD when I film anybody with a foxtooth patterned garment.   I remember having to butcher a PL filter and fit some stockings in place of the glass on the first firmware version of the VX1000.  And I combat moire regularly on my own two cameras and anytime I;ve used a hired 5D2.

So it's not an issue unique to the 6D.

I treat everything I shoot on a DSLR.  Bare minimum is a half pixel guassian blur over everything.  I can use up to 1.125 on something really bad.

Things that help:

Keeping everything progressive.  From your transcoding or interpretation, to your timeline field order to your output codec, to your DVD or BR burning.  Its a progressive camera, make sure everything else in the chain is progressive.  Don't a assume.  Check.

Marvels DSLR plug-in can help if applied with care.

If you have a locked off shot you can also selectively apply blur using garbage matting.

If none of this makes sense, then I've over pitched it.  You may have got a dud 6D.  You probably didn't.  And someday you'll hit a fabric or texture that does this to your 5D3.

Like titokane said, learn to shoot around it, via on camera settings and or how to fix it in post.

LetTheRightLensIn:
Yeah wow that's quite a mess. I've heard other similar complaints. It's hard to say for sure without shooting the same scene with both but I swear that looks noticeably worse than even the 5D2 and it's obviously miles worse than the 5D3!

Yeah for video the 6D is 100% not the way to get their more cheaply than the 5D3 if you don't need the fps and fancy AF and all (I do in my case anyway, but for those who don't....).

LetTheRightLensIn:

--- Quote from: titokane on January 25, 2013, 11:15:01 AM ---If you have the $1000 more to spend the 5D3 is great, but if not the 6D is a great alternative. We've been filming around moire issues for years with the 5D2 so saying the 6D isn't usable for shooting video is like saying a new Camry isn't drivable because it only goes just as fast as a Camry from a few years ago and not as fast as a new Lexus.

I've been using the 6D for video since it came out. My clients are happy with the results. Other shooters are constantly blown away by the low-light capabilities. If you absolutely have to shoot moire-inducing patterns regularly, and can't get around it by turning the in-camera sharpening off, tweaking focus, or pointing the camera somewhere else, you obviously know which camera to buy. Otherwise, if you can't figure out how to shoot a good video on the 6D spending the extra grand isn't going to help.

--- End quote ---

It depends upon what you shoot. If you shoot natural world stuff or outdoors and don't want to have to pick and chose the few things you can shoot the 6D will no way cut it. If all you do it planned studio shoots or planned scenes where you can pick your outdoor background maybe you can get away with it, but that is an entirely different sort of shooting, not everyone does only that sort of shooting.

LetTheRightLensIn:

--- Quote from: paul13walnut5 on January 25, 2013, 11:28:21 AM ---
Like titokane said, learn to shoot around it, via on camera settings and or how to fix it in post.

--- End quote ---

Or just get a 5D3 so you can actually shoot what you want to shoot....
And you only fix things so much in post.

paul13walnut5:
Yes a 5d3 will fix all your issues.

Pfffffffft.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version