August 02, 2014, 06:02:42 AM

Author Topic: at what shutter speed you turn IS off?  (Read 10066 times)

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
Re: at what shutter speed you turn IS off?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 05:31:37 PM »
Another reason to switch it off aside from the potential effect on AF speed/accuracy is that some wildlife reacts to the sound of it.

???  Wow!  Really??  So does this mean that if you turn off the IS, you only get one shot when the much louder SLR Actuation scares off the wildlife?
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 05:31:37 PM »

Jesse

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 06:36:32 PM »
IS - one of the topics where it seems like no one has any idea what they're talking about.
5D3, 8-15 f/4 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 f/4 IS L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L, 600EX-RT x2, CS6, LR5

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 07:52:19 PM »
Oh boy, here we go!

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »
*sighs* the only time you really should be turning it off is if your shooting fast moving objects/people or on a tripod. And that depends what lens in some cases. IS 3 mode is for fast moving objects for example but doesn't occur on anything but big expensive glass.

The hum in the lens from the IS doesn't get louder by the way!

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 10:23:31 PM »
Another reason to switch it off aside from the potential effect on AF speed/accuracy is that some wildlife reacts to the sound of it.

???  Wow!  Really??  So does this mean that if you turn off the IS, you only get one shot when the much louder SLR Actuation scares off the wildlife?

Actually that wouldn't suprise me for a lot of animals, for example from Wikipedia "Bats that can detect 200 kHz cannot hear very well below 10 kHz". Mice are shown at 1 to 70 kHz and there are many other examples at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range. According to the following page the USM motor runs at about 30kHz:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/usmlens_technology.do

Note sure what the frequency components of the shutter noise are, but I'm pretty sure the loudest components would all be below 1KHz.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 12:38:25 AM »
*sighs* the only time you really should be turning it off is if your shooting fast moving objects/people or on a tripod. And that depends what lens in some cases. IS 3 mode is for fast moving objects for example but doesn't occur on anything but big expensive glass.

The hum in the lens from the IS doesn't get louder by the way!

What if your lens doesn't have IS?  I guess you'd still be right, you can't turn it off.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 01:11:29 AM »
IS - one of the topics where it seems like no one has any idea what they're talking about.

I can't even remember the last time I turned IS off.  Yet, I've read numerous times that you should turn it off when not needed.  For example...

http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm

Maybe Canon's system is better.  Maybe some of my shots would be better without it.  Who knows?

If there are benefits with keeping it off in some cases, maybe there is an argument for a camera setting that allows you to disable IS automatically under certain conditions (eg above a certain shutter speed).
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 01:11:29 AM »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 01:33:08 AM »
I paid a lot of money for that IS...so I leave it on all the time ;D
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 01:33:31 AM »

Never felt this way in the last five years of wildlife photography with IS. I had non lS lenses for 15 years before that and no wildlife got distracted by other sounds in my vehicle (lenses bumping on to metal etc.)

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »
i've never once remembered to turn it off, on countless long exposures mounted on a tripod, on both 70-200 II and 100 L

never experienced any decrease in sharpness
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 01:36:52 AM »

:) Well said!

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 01:49:19 AM »
I'm usually so far away they can't hear it ::)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
I'm done eating my popcorn now so I'll weigh in on this topic.

IS is like Canon vs Nikon.  Everyone has a different opinion so the best thing to do is try YOUR camera with YOUR lens with YOUR eyes and YOUR steady (or not) hands and use IS all of the time and then none of the time to see which shots look better.

For me, I leave it on all of the time except when on a tripod (rare).  I even leave it on when using a monopod but I use mode 2 (please don't start arguments about mode 2 vs monopods vs panning).   ::)

Now everyone go out and start shooting.  8)
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »
I'm done eating my popcorn now so I'll weigh in on this topic.

IS is like Canon vs Nikon.  Everyone has a different opinion so the best thing to do is try YOUR camera with YOUR lens with YOUR eyes and YOUR steady (or not) hands and use IS all of the time and then none of the time to see which shots look better.

For me, I leave it on all of the time except when on a tripod (rare).  I even leave it on when using a monopod but I use mode 2 (please don't start arguments about mode 2 vs monopods vs panning).   ::)

Now everyone go out and start shooting.  8)

mode 2 on a monopod....c'mon, you gotta be kidding me???   ;D  ;)

I did watch a youtube video recently that had the team photographer for the (my memory fails me but I believe it was Tampa Bay Rays (Major League Baseball) and he said that he and his team turn IS off because they thing the AF is faster. (shooting Canon tele's and super tele's)

anyway...this is a subject that I've read alot about recently, and it's starting to play "mind tricks" on me now.  for example, I shot sports the other night and I had way too many oof shots for my liking...so I started thinking, maybe it's the IS.

as charlie brown would say....aaughhhh!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:53:48 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

brad goda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 01:01:52 AM »
hmm interesting ....
not pertaining to shutter speed but I do turn off IS when shooting critically framed shots using tripod and lights... like when shooting 2D art work... the framing gets tight and with IS on there is micro "FLOAT" where the image will shift a bit when stabilized... since no need for IS on these types of work we just turn it off... at first I thought who is moving the tripod but yes its the IS activating and settling into position...  IS has come a long long way... the first canon IS zooms in the 90s didnt quite "stabilize" and would float... i used it on a golf tournament and it got me sick... like boat sick... I thought... this will never take... 
anyway cool to read the posts ... sometimes gotta clear your mind and ego to learn new things.
Mahalo

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 01:01:52 AM »