August 21, 2014, 02:14:38 PM

Author Topic: Curious Distraction: Explain your username, avatar picture, etc...  (Read 28728 times)

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
Hi everyone.  As I reply to some posts, it occurs to me that it would be interesting to get explanations or back stories from many of the user/contributors here on Canon Rumors about why they use/choose the username that they have.  For instance, neuro has explained it before but let's hear it again here all in one place!!  What does TrumpetPower possibly mean?  While we're at it, add some info about the avatar picture you use if you like.

In my case, RustyTheGeek started out many years ago as a domain name people would remember for my IT consulting business when they needed to email me.  Eventually it just made sense to start treating it like a brand, esp since it's never taken when choosing a username on forums, etc.  So there we go!  I still need to get an avatar picture uploaded.  Bad me.

Anyone else care to share?  Even if it seems self explanatory there might be more than meets the eye.   :)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Curious Distraction: Explain your username, avatar picture, etc...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »
I've used my name for various things in the past, mostly on forums but also online games as my avatar username. Not only that, I have registered 'croubie industries' as a business and used it when I subcontracted myself out for various engineering jobs (in a sort of "Vandalay Industries" way, if you don't know what that is then you're too young. Go rent some Seinfeld DVDs).

But the truth of where it came from? Me and a mate, back in high school (so at least 12-14 years ago), were around at his place late one night sampling some 'herbs' that he'd grown in his garden. We started just babbling crap, made up words that sounded cool, and I particularly liked the sound of 'croubie', we even tried to get it to catch on as a slang word for the herbs, it caught on with a few friends (particularly good when discussing nefarious activities around people we shouldn't, like parents).
Then I got a subcontracting job and needed a business name. Well, I didn't need one, but using my actual name sounded less 'business-like', so I made up 'croubie industries' as a sort of 'vandalay industries', but also having a dig at my bosses (who didn't know my other made-up meaning for the words).
13 years later and it's still around, even if it doesn't have the herbal double-meaning anymore (we all grew out of it, as most kids do).
Meanwhile, the global-octopus of croubie industries has stretched into many areas: photography & accessories, hifi/pa/guitar speakers and amps, computers & parts, and I can't think of what else. It's amazing what you can get when you ring up suppliers and say you're from a business (rather than some poor uni student), trade prices and free samples and all the rest.

"And you want to be my latex salesman."
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

paul13walnut5

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »
Paulie Walnuts.  The best character from the Sopranos.  And I'm also a Paul.

The pic is me on my final year project when a student, so 10 years ago this May.  In the last year we had to do our projects on the ENG gear, which at the time I resisted  (if you go from a camcorder to an ENG camera it's quite a leap - black and white viewfinder - having to remember colour temperatures, setting timecodes, back focus acutally built into your lenses to screw you up) but ultimately led to me making my living today (as all ENG cameras be they Sony, Panasonic, Ikegami, JVC, Grass Valley whatever, have the essential controls in the same place)

In those days I shaved my hair because I could, these days as I look at my thinning temple I have no choice.

My pal Adam took this on my Canon EOS 5 (A2e), and the camera I'm holding is a Panny AJ-200E DVCPRO. 

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:24:59 PM »
RLPhoto

Ramon L. Perez Photographer

My photo is of a low-key self-portrait which shows the style of photos I like with my currently most used lens, the 135L.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:32:31 PM »
I've used my name for various things in the past, mostly on forums but also online games as my avatar username. Not only that, I have registered 'croubie industries' as a business and used it when I subcontracted myself out for various engineering jobs (in a sort of "Vandalay Industries" way, if you don't know what that is then you're too young. Go rent some Seinfeld DVDs).

But the truth of where it came from? Me and a mate, back in high school (so at least 12-14 years ago), were around at his place late one night sampling some 'herbs' that he'd grown in his garden. We started just babbling crap, made up words that sounded cool, and I particularly liked the sound of 'croubie', we even tried to get it to catch on as a slang word for the herbs, it caught on with a few friends (particularly good when discussing nefarious activities around people we shouldn't, like parents).
Then I got a subcontracting job and needed a business name. Well, I didn't need one, but using my actual name sounded less 'business-like', so I made up 'croubie industries' as a sort of 'vandalay industries', but also having a dig at my bosses (who didn't know my other made-up meaning for the words).
13 years later and it's still around, even if it doesn't have the herbal double-meaning anymore (we all grew out of it, as most kids do).
Meanwhile, the global-octopus of croubie industries has stretched into many areas: photography & accessories, hifi/pa/guitar speakers and amps, computers & parts, and I can't think of what else. It's amazing what you can get when you ring up suppliers and say you're from a business (rather than some poor uni student), trade prices and free samples and all the rest.

+1 to so many things here!

Oh, there can be a whole other thread for the made up words for croubie.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
My name is Kyle, I (currently) live in St Louis, MO.  Easy 'nough.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

DCM1024

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:48:52 PM »
DCM1024 represents my intials (Debbie Moore) and birthday. Avatar is a photo of me taken at work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:48:52 PM »

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »
FTb-n was my first Canon which I bought in 1974 and carried almost every day in high school for three years as a yearbook photog.  Not very creative, but it's a sentimental favorite camera.
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot S100

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »

Mine's a much similar story, minus the original origins and 415 associations. I'm really a trumpeter, but you can't make a living playing trumpet. But at ASU a couple decades ago I needed something for which I made up something vaguely resembling a corporate identity, and I've been using it everywhere since.

b&

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »

I love it!  What a great first post!  Let's see... The old "RL Co." I used to use.  "Robert Nelms" was a made up name we used as code on various things we would receive in the mail way back... it's all in good fun!  And many of your "ventures" above I have had a hand in as well, esp things to do with audio, computers, etc.  Thanks dude!!

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »
RMC are my Initials, Ryan McMaster and the 33 is sort of an enigma in my life. It pops up all over in my life, for instance, I was born On may 16th in Alaska 16-49=33. My best friend was born on the 17th in Hawaii, same thing (Date-state numerical admission into the Union). Just weird stuff I guess but whenever the number comes up I usually have a spark of brilliance on a Project I am working on or something. My first 3d Printer (I use them for work) Used to give me an error code 33 all the time, which was not a code in the companies DB. Turns out it was related to a software update that had a bug that would cause the extruder to heat beyond the limit set by the operator and could cause a fire. It was supposed to be code 1033 (10 meant error and 33 was the specific type). Weird things like that. Hence my photography is under RMC |33| Photography.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »

Mine's a much similar story, minus the original origins and 415 associations. I'm really a trumpeter, but you can't make a living playing trumpet. But at ASU a couple decades ago I needed something for which I made up something vaguely resembling a corporate identity, and I've been using it everywhere since.

b&

I guessed it right!  I suspected that meant the musical instrument!  And FWIW, it was your username that inspired me to start this thread.  ASU = Angelo or Arizona?  I'm originally from San Angelo, TX where there is an ASU located.  Oh, and from what I know, it's not easy making a living playing a camera either!  And around these parts, I think it's 420.   ;)

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
I guessed it right!  I suspected that meant the musical instrument!  And FWIW, it was your username that inspired me to start this thread.  ASU = Angelo or Arizona?  I'm originally from San Angelo, TX where there is an ASU located.  Oh, and from what I know, it's not easy making a living playing a camera either!  And around these parts, I think it's 420.   ;)

Arizona State University; I don't make any (significant amounts of) money from photography, either, but from database programming; and I don't partake, so I'm simply impressed with myself that I managed to get within 1% of the right figure....

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »

crasher8

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »
never

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
ZIM…… He’s just a regular guy trying to do his best to destroy worlds, without the best of kit  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »