August 21, 2014, 12:21:34 AM

Author Topic: Curious Distraction: Explain your username, avatar picture, etc...  (Read 28717 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: Curious Distraction: Explain your username, avatar picture, etc...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »
"Distant Star" comes from the Jimmy Webb song "Where Words End" sung by Johnny Rivers on his "Shadows on the Moon" album a few years ago.

Lyrics:

Where Words End (Jimmy Webb)

I sat me down on the highest rock
on the hill at Big Sur
It was dark and all the stars were spread out wide
As wide as my love for her
I was sure that I was falling
I felt time and space extend
and I thought I heard her calling from a place
a place where words end
Where words end...that's where my love begins
And reaches just as far as any distant star
Where words end there will be no might have beens
She'll be waiting..my best friend just across the river
Where all the words end
So I gave some thanks in silence and for all the good it's done
As a brand new constellation bloomed in space in the shape of my mother's face
In that starry dome of silence I could have heard a falling pin
She was smiling in the starry crown of grace and I watched her stars ascend
Where words end that's where my love begins
And reaches just as far as any distant star
Where words end there will be no might have beens
She'll be waiting for me there just across the river
Just across the river, Just across the river
Where all the words....
Where all the words end

And you can hear it here:

Johnny Rivers Where Words End Small | Large

In addition to it just being beautiful, that's my criteria for good photography -- where words end.

As for the avatar, I just popped it up there a day or two ago. Reminds me of the old railroad crossings that always had a sign saying:

STOP

LOOK

LISTEN

So, it's sort of all aspirational, I guess. One day I'll take a picture as beautiful as that song and as ephemeral as a distant star. And one day, I'll post things where people will stop, look and listen!

Thanks for asking.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »

Tabor Warren Photography

• Rebel T5i
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 06:01:04 PM »
Tabor Warren Photography is... well... the business name. The photo is from a vacation I had with my wife to St. Charles, MO last year. She loves the bug glasses, and being the primary photographer, there are not too many photos of myself.

-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x2, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2 & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

skullyspice

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photojensen.com
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 06:20:20 PM »
Long time fan of heavy metal music with a mild obsession for the Spice Girls. Skullyspice.
5D3, 1vHS, 1nRS, F-1N x6, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X100
50 F1.2L, 100 F2.8L Macro, 200 F2.8L, 40 F2.8, 17-40 F4L, 24-105 F4L, 70-300 F4-5.6L
www.photojensen.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »
ZIM…… He’s just a regular guy trying to do his best to destroy worlds, without the best of kit  :P

GERMS!!!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »
Also...  My education is in neuroscience, I spent 8 years teaching neuroanatomy to medical students (as well as gross anatomy, histology, etc.).   For many years, my 'day job' was quantitative neuroanatomy - assessing gene expression changes in the brain.

My avatar is a self portrait - a sagittal MRI of me.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »
RMC are my Initials, Ryan McMaster and the 33 is sort of an enigma in my life. It pops up all over in my life, for instance, I was born On may 16th in Alaska 16-49=33. My best friend was born on the 17th in Hawaii, same thing (Date-state numerical admission into the Union). Just weird stuff I guess but whenever the number comes up I usually have a spark of brilliance on a Project I am working on or something. My first 3d Printer (I use them for work) Used to give me an error code 33 all the time, which was not a code in the companies DB. Turns out it was related to a software update that had a bug that would cause the extruder to heat beyond the limit set by the operator and could cause a fire. It was supposed to be code 1033 (10 meant error and 33 was the specific type). Weird things like that. Hence my photography is under RMC |33| Photography.

RMC33- "McMaster" has to be like one of the best names ever! It's better than McLovin! I'd be rocking that all over the place if that was my name.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »
RMC are my Initials, Ryan McMaster and the 33 is sort of an enigma in my life. It pops up all over in my life, for instance, I was born On may 16th in Alaska 16-49=33. My best friend was born on the 17th in Hawaii, same thing (Date-state numerical admission into the Union). Just weird stuff I guess but whenever the number comes up I usually have a spark of brilliance on a Project I am working on or something. My first 3d Printer (I use them for work) Used to give me an error code 33 all the time, which was not a code in the companies DB. Turns out it was related to a software update that had a bug that would cause the extruder to heat beyond the limit set by the operator and could cause a fire. It was supposed to be code 1033 (10 meant error and 33 was the specific type). Weird things like that. Hence my photography is under RMC |33| Photography.

RMC33- "McMaster" has to be like one of the best names ever! It's better than McLovin! I'd be rocking that all over the place if that was my name.

Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »
Mine is just my site name obviously, http://www.extremeinstability.com/ ...which I named it back in 1999 or 2000.  Needed a storm chasing related term for the site and saw that mention on a national weather service page talking about the setup for a first chase of mine.  CAPE is convective available potential energy and pretty much 1000 j/kg and under is low and I guess I always took extreme instability as being 5000 j/kg and above.  It's stuck since then, though I often regret the choice as I don't feel I've chased "extreme" enough to warrant extreme being in the name.  That and well extreme instability has never proved to end up that impressive storm-wise usually.  Usually means more of a cap in place and weaker shear periods.  Kinda stuck with the name now though.  And lordy are there few url naming options now.   

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 08:12:09 PM »
Also...  My education is in neuroscience, I spent 8 years teaching neuroanatomy to medical students (as well as gross anatomy, histology, etc.).

I think most people would consider almost all anatomy "gross," but that's probably not the same definition of the term that you're using.

Still, I'd strongly recommend that everybody should go to the Body Worlds exhibition when it comes to town. Yes, even if you think it's gross. You'll get over it.

b&

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 08:18:21 PM »
My forum name reflects the fact that I am drawn more to bright, clear, intense colors than muted or pale ones. My avatar is a photo of some flowers that I took during a visit to the gardens at the Winterthur estate. The colors in the image are purposely over-saturated to create a fun not realistic effect.

jp121

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »
My initials plus my birthdate (Jan 21). It's also my car number plate.
5DM3 | 50 f/1.2L | 100 f/2.8L MACRO IS | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-105 f/4 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 08:31:44 PM »
Mine is self-explanatory: Unfocused – Pictures Sharp, Life Not so Much.

I'd probably be a lot more successful if I were more focused, but it isn't going to happen.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »
GDub is the (kinda sorta) sound of my firstname and lastname initials--"GW". But... because "GDubya" puts a Texas spin on it (if you catch my drift), I went for an alternative version. ;) In truth, I was called GDub (sounds like "Jee-Dub") at work for years and it stuck. The avatar picture is a replica of my Gravatar--gravatar.com.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:53:09 PM by GDub »
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 09:13:21 PM »
My name is Scott, and I don't go by Scotty.  I noticed, however, a hamburger restaurant in Dallas called "Scotty P's".  As my last name also starts with a "P" I had to go in and get a cheese burger and a tee-shirt. 

Something about wearing that tee shirt in my laundry rotation for a couple of years made it stick in my mind. 

Hence my username.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

eli72

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »
I graduated from Yale University (their sports teams are known as the Elis after the founder, Elihu Yale) in 1972 where I first got an interest in photography. No avatar because I'm usually the one behind the camera!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »