August 28, 2014, 09:52:40 PM

Author Topic: Curious Distraction: Explain your username, avatar picture, etc...  (Read 28852 times)

glongstaff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • glongstaff smugmug
Re: Curious Distraction: Explain your username, avatar picture, etc...
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2013, 08:30:01 AM »
Straight forward...initial of forename followed by surname

I do have a nickname given by mates that has stuck for many years : Gizmo

As I work in IT and IT faults are sometimes known as Gremlins ...and the film Gremlins has the main character Gizmo....
5D MKIII, EF 24-105mm F/4 IS L USM, EF 85mm F/1.8, EF 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 USM,  Sigma DG 150-500 5-6.3 APO HSM, Speedlite 430EXII

EOS 350D, EFS 18-55mm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2013, 08:30:01 AM »

hyles

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2013, 08:54:28 AM »
I have a deep interest in nature, and i really like butterflies (spider and snake as well), so Hyles it is a genus of moths belonging to the Sphingidae's family. First time I was looking for a name it was available, so i kept using it.
Attached an adult Hyles livornica while feeding, and a young caterpillar of Hyles euphorbiae.
Diego

scotty512

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2013, 09:03:29 AM »
scotty512 is a moniker that was given to me by the first ever dating site that i used many moons ago (yes I will admit to having used them!!)

and it has generally become my moniker for most online accounts now
5D MkIII, 40D, 50 F1.4 100-400 L, 70-200 f2.8 L II, 24-105 f4 L, 2x converter, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-85

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »
I joined a website many years ago and was trying to think of a suitable name. It started off as Kernuak Piskie, but was the shortened to Kernuak, which means Cornish in the Cornish language. My grandfather was Cornish and his family are from Cornwall as far back as I can trace, back to the late 1600's on one branch. My avatar photo was taken while I was on the drinking water lake for Oslo. We were collecting water samples for a research project, looking for sources of fungal infections in leukaemic patients. It was actually my first week in Norway, in March, so yuo can imagine our hands were pretty numb from holding bottles under the water. The one thing on my mind at the time was not to drop one of them :P.

Ha, that explains the origin of the name 'Kernow' for Cornwall, in native speak! I have used the name Kernow instead of Cornwall for my neighbouring County but was unaware of it's origin!
And the name for the Celtic language that used to be spoken in Devon was Dewnansek and the name was Dyfneint, hence Devon (I'm originally from Exeter or Isca, meaning water). Cornwall is the Angilicised version, derived from Kern Wealas, meaninig the Kern foreigners, as opposed to Wales from the same root. Incidentally, both Cumbria and Cymru, the Welsh word for Wales, were derived from Cymbrogi, meaning compatriots. Sawsnak is the Welsh/Cornish word for Saxons, which eventually came to mean English, just like the Gaelic Sassenach.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

vlim

• EOS M2
  • www.eco-tico-explorer.com
    • View Profile
    • Eco Tico Explorer
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2013, 09:38:58 AM »
My avatar is a self portrait - a sagittal MRI of me

Self portrait, i love it !

The choice of my avatar : because this photo has been taken in one of my favorite places in the world, the peninsula of Osa and its amazing Corcovado national park (Costa Rica)...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:56:40 AM by vlim »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »
My avatar is a self portrait - a sagittal MRI of me

Self portrait, i love it !

The choice of my avatar : because this photo has been taken in of my favorite places in the world, the peninsula of Osa and its amazing Corcovado national park (Costa Rica)...

I couldn't resist.  I had to Google "sagittal MRI" and I found this fascinating page using a sagittal MRI of Homer Simpson to explain the subject.  Pretty interesting!!  And if you look at a lot of sagittal MRI images, I think you will agree that Neuro's looks pretty good in comparison.

http://www.ariser.info/training/imgproc.php

Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:16 AM »
Name refers to my other (expensive) passion as a guitar player and musician. "7ender" with the 7 as a reference to the font used on Fender guitars. The avatar shows my first real camera that I owned. I still have that AE1-program and still use it occasionally (often with the classic FD50 1.4 as pictured).
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:16 AM »

Pinchers of Peril

• Rebel T5i
  • Shoot first ask questions later
    • View Profile
    • PS Photography
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »
I love the movie "Goonies" and so my name is a reference to one of the inventions that the character "Data" makes in the movie.  My picture is of my French Bulldog, his name is Batman.
Canon 5D Mark III, 85 1.2 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 16-35 2.8 II, 50 1.4, 40mm pancake www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com

vlim

• EOS M2
  • www.eco-tico-explorer.com
    • View Profile
    • Eco Tico Explorer
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2013, 10:29:10 AM »
I couldn't resist.  I had to Google "sagittal MRI" and I found this fascinating page using a sagittal MRI of Homer Simpson to explain the subject.  Pretty interesting!!  And if you look at a lot of sagittal MRI images, I think you will agree that Neuro's looks pretty good in comparison.

http://www.ariser.info/training/imgproc.php

Hilarious !

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »
Fun Idea... some of the explanations are definitely interesting.
I created my Avatar with the LEAST serious camera I have at my disposal so that I could remember to laugh at myself. I also designed it to have some visual impact in a small size, as avatars are such tiny little images many do not come across very well......(there I go getting serious again....).
My mispelled moniker, Infared,  (the proper spelling was already taken) I chose because the first images that I took that got me some notice were back in the 80's and they were shot on infrared film and then hand-colored...pre-computer, etc. (I shot on Nikon's then....so is that allowed here???? At least I am a RELUCTANT convert...not a traitor. LOL!).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:45:35 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2013, 10:42:35 AM »
My name comes from my website, which name is a result of an idea of me and my brother. Callahan photography? Interesting enough... but... not too unique. We were both born the same day on April ten years apart, so...

And the avatar is a b/w converted image of Sky Pond in Rocky Mountain National Park, one of my favourite places around!
What is truth?

telephonic

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »
Lots of interesting stories, hence mine would pale in comparison from the first word. But I'll give it a shot anyway.

I chose Telephonic because Tele + holic would sound just horrible. But I love my 200mm, cause it gives space between me and the photographed subject (plus, I suck at wider end).  ::)
Trusty 20D, a lighter 200, a nifty fifty, and an old Sigma that won't work stopped down.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »
Mines film related: huge Star Wars and horror film fan! I should probably upload a picture but I don't make too many posts, more of a reader really  :)
Well mine is self-explanatory but your post urged me to post too ;D

Actually I have adopted it from the original movie back in the 80s.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »

timkbryant

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »
I'm not too complicated.

"timkbryant" is my name, with the 'k' being my middle initial.

My profile/display pic is because I'm a big Toronto Blue Jays fan, being born there and living there for most of my life and all.
Bodies: 5D Mk III; 1000D
Lenses: EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L; EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
Flash: 580 EX II

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »
I'm a pervert.

I hope that clears that up.  8)

You should have gone with Harry Canyon... you could have claimed a Heavy Metal reference (the movie).

My username comes from a name I made up to use in a book I was writing back in 1988, I was about 150-200 pages into the story... when the manuscript was lost due to a Microsoft OS update that broke Word Perfect. I had the latest version of WP, but the new OS broke it, reinstalls of WP didn't help, and MS wouldn't allow an older version of the OS to be reinstalled. At the time I didn't know anyone else who owned a computer, and the HDD controller on my computer was for a HDD type no longer made at the time MS broke WP. So I couldn't just swap in a new drive (expensive at the time) and reinstall the old OS. Supposedly Microsoft Word was able to read WP files, but when I tried it, as I recall, it corrupted the original file. 2 years of work down the drain thanks to MS. The Character still lives on in my user name. Wrath is pretty self explanatory, and wilde is a nod to the literary genius of Oscar Wilde.  The Avatar is a nod to my family coat of arms.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:38:06 PM by Wrathwilde »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »