December 20, 2014, 09:58:17 PM

Author Topic: Curious Distraction: Explain your username, avatar picture, etc...  (Read 32139 times)

KyleSTL

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Curious Distraction: Explain your username, avatar picture, etc...
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
... and being the primary photographer, there are not too many photos of myself.
+1

My avatar is a self portrait - a sagittal MRI of me.
Certainly the only one that exists on our little forum.  Bonus points for originality and overall cool factor.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2013, 02:54:45 AM »
I've been using this nick since the time of dial-up BBS' at mindblowing speeds of 2400bps. I couldn't think of a better one at the time, but it stuck and has been with me since.
As for the avatar picture, it's an HDR of the Ebonite Skull Bowling ball that I use for my other hobby, bowling.  ;D
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
In 1993 or 1994 my dad started our first AOL account, and for some reason he chose the username "Axilrod."  I just kind of stuck with it after that.  Damn I just realized my screen name is 20 years old.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »
In 1993 or 1994 my dad started our first AOL account, and for some reason he chose the username "Axilrod."  I just kind of stuck with it after that.  Damn I just realized my screen name is 20 years old.

i read your post and the memories of "one minute" page loads on AOL came back to me!
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2013, 07:41:39 PM »
I've been using this nick since the time of dial-up BBS' at mindblowing speeds of 2400bps. I couldn't think of a better one at the time, but it stuck and has been with me since.
As for the avatar picture, it's an HDR of the Ebonite Skull Bowling ball that I use for my other hobby, bowling.  ;D

Wow, you came late to the game. We started at 300 -- using an acoustic coupler! I remember watching one line at a time scroll in and dreaming of the rumored 9600!
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »

Wow, you came late to the game. We started at 300 -- using an acoustic coupler! I remember watching one line at a time scroll in and dreaming of the rumored 9600!
LOL! Same here. Wonder how many of us has 300 baud acoustic modems...

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2013, 02:33:34 AM »

LOL! Same here. Wonder how many of us has 300 baud acoustic modems...

I had one of them 300 baud thinga-majigs too. The one where you put the reciever on the "modem". But my nick only came in to existence when at 2400bps I started to run my own BBS. :) And indeed, the lure of US Robotics modems, and later Zyxel's (when they were still good)... I was the first BBS in Finland to run 28.8k lines. My local phone company told me it wouldn't be possible, but I ordered the modems from Zoom in the US anyway, and they were good. Ah, the good old days.  ;D (Time might be polishing the memories in to a slightly more golden shine than what the actual situation was, but it is fun to reminisce.)  ;D
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2013, 02:33:34 AM »

Happy viking

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2013, 04:10:01 AM »
What do people think of when they think of norway? Many say Vikings, but the vikings vasnt a nice horde. But im i nice and happy norwegian. So therfore Happy Viking :)

Barrfly

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2013, 05:28:49 AM »
~ My last name is Barr.

~ The first job I had was a bartender at my fathers tavern called Barr's Place ( late 70's early 80's).

~ When I wasn't at the families bar I'd spend my free time in others. There used to be a bartenders code in which we'd take care of others at their prospective establishments.

~ 99% of the time when I do drink, it's only in bars.

~Currently as a side job I take care of media and shoot events at my bothers tavern which is called the Riverside Barr & Grill.
    - Compensation : My bar tab.
    - Most used catch phrase : Thank God for auto-focus 'cause I can't see you .
    - Photos from events can be seen here : https://www.facebook.com/riverside.barr/photos_stream

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2013, 05:33:29 AM »
Time might be polishing the memories in to a slightly more golden shine than what the actual situation was
LOL! You got that right! :)

Ristobkk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
Simple, my first name is Risto and i live in Bankgkok, BKK ;-)
5DIII | 6D | G1X II | 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L II | Tamron 150-600 | 2.0x converter III | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | GP-E2

Pagesphotography

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »
Pages Photography

Pretty self explanatory!  Name of my business!

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2013, 07:59:17 AM »
Time might be polishing the memories in to a slightly more golden shine than what the actual situation was
LOL! You got that right! :)

Ditto.  In case you're still waxing nostalgic, one word... JUMPERS.   :)  Actually many words come to mind but since we are talking about modems....
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2013, 07:59:17 AM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2013, 08:07:48 AM »
~ My last name is Barr.

~ The first job I had was a bartender at my fathers tavern called Barr's Place ( late 70's early 80's).

~ When I wasn't at the families bar I'd spend my free time in others. There used to be a bartenders code in which we'd take care of others at their prospective establishments.

~ 99% of the time when I do drink, it's only in bars.

~Currently as a side job I take care of media and shoot events at my bothers tavern which is called the Riverside Barr & Grill.
    - Compensation : My bar tab.
    - Most used catch phrase : Thank God for auto-focus 'cause I can't see you .
    - Photos from events can be seen here : https://www.facebook.com/riverside.barr/photos_stream

Which means low light shots, right?  I haven't had time to look at the linked pics yet but I gotta think that most bar patrons would be somewhat ambivalent at best about having their pictures taken while at the bar.  Sort of like photographic evidence for the wife, IYKWIM...  (Based on total ignorance BTW, when I went to bars 20 years ago, it was to dance, pick up women, etc.  Typical 2 guys lookin' at/for girls kind of thing...)  And you must have a great personality to help spice up the shots because otherwise, most of the shots would end up looking somewhat the same would they not?  There's Joe drinking his beer, there's Sam drinking his beer, there's Sally hanging on Fred drinking his beer, etc...  Unless!  It's a rough bar, then you may have a lot of action shots... There's Joe beating the living crap out of Sam, there's Sally running while Fred jumps in to save Sam.... etc.   8)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

lion rock

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2013, 08:53:53 AM »
In the earlier 1980's, I built a 9600 BAUD from scratch using perf-board, discrete ICs, resistors, small speaker and moving coil microphone etc., to transmit research data from Ohio to Oregon in a motel room.
Took more than an hour to transmit.
The phone bill  :-\.
-r

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2013, 08:53:53 AM »