April 17, 2014, 11:11:50 PM

Author Topic: Curious Distraction: Explain your username, avatar picture, etc...  (Read 25198 times)

BruinBear

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Curious Distraction: Explain your username, avatar picture, etc...
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
UCLA Alum! Go Bruins!
6D, 60D, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 24-105L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 40mm Pancake, Helios 44-M4 (55mm f/2), 1.4X Extender III, 430EX II, Yongnuo YN-622 Flash Triggers.
EOS-M, 22mm, EF Adapter.
And Canonet QL-17 GIII Film!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »

Crapking

• 7D
  • "Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
    • View Profile
    • Crapking Photos
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
Several pop culture explanations COULD be the source of my username - but I've been told I do not really have a potty mouth and I don't really collect all that much (non-photography) junk. In fact, my username comes from my other 'hobby' - one in which the random outcome of 2 thrown dice must be predicted and wagered upon.  I have had many a good day at the tables, (winning enough money to support my photography addiction), but alas a few bad days (losing enough to make sure I still don't own any supertele's). 

My avatar was taken from a motion camera in my backyard - and every time I log in / see that photo, it makes me think of all the BIG BUCKS I have spent over the years on both these hobbies..... :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:04:54 PM by Crapking »
1Dx, 1DIV, 5D3, 7D, (Sigma 15 FE)
16-35/2.8; 24-70/2.8 II; 70-200/2.8 II, 100-400L
35/1.4, 40/2.8; 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/2; 200/2

RendrLab

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »
Hi everyone.  As I reply to some posts, it occurs to me that it would be interesting to get explanations or back stories from many of the user/contributors here on Canon Rumors about why they use/choose the username that they have.  For instance, neuro has explained it before but let's hear it again here all in one place!!  What does TrumpetPower possibly mean?  While we're at it, add some info about the avatar picture you use if you like.

In my case, RustyTheGeek started out many years ago as a domain name people would remember for my IT consulting business when they needed to email me.  Eventually it just made sense to start treating it like a brand, esp since it's never taken when choosing a username on forums, etc.  So there we go!  I still need to get an avatar picture uploaded.  Bad me.

Anyone else care to share?  Even if it seems self explanatory there might be more than meets the eye.   :)

Little off topic, but I went to school with a Rusty Geek...

PhotoAviator

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • markamos.smugmug.com
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2013, 09:19:32 PM »
Photography has been a hobby since I was young; aviation is my profession so that I can pay for my hobby!

steven kessel

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »
My username is self evident.  My passion is wildlife photography (with an occasional foray into landscapes).  I'm not picky, if it breathes, I'll photograph it.

darth mollusk

• PowerShot G16
  • naturalist²
    • View Profile
    • nature and wildlife photography
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »
the camera that is currently my avatar was found in the ocean 10m deep.  after removing the SD card with a screw driver and a pair of pliers - it worked (the SD card - not the camera!).  turns out it had been dropped off a boat nearly a year and a half previous to me finding it.  we found the owner and returned the photos.

the user name is just a play on words - i like slugs.
Canon 7D • Tokina 11-16 2.8 • Sigma 120-300 2.8 • Canon 17-55 2.8

Valvebounce

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2013, 09:04:32 AM »
Hi guys, newbie here, first time I really joined in with a forum that wasn't car based, that should start some of you petrol heads on the right route for my login name. Until I got this nickname they were all derogatory, I was working at a factory as a toolmaker when I gained this name, the chief quality inspector came to check my measuring gear for calibration and he just said hey valvebounce where's your gear? I asked about the name and he said it was because he thought when I was going out through the factory gates I didn't change my little Herald 1360 Estate in to second gear until the valves were bouncing.
No avatar or picture because I haven't found where to add it, or any of the other customisations like a signature bar, is this because so far I have only been accessing the forum on tablets, or is there a minimum number of contributions before I get this privilege?
I am a very keen though not very accomplished hoby photographer, I have not really dropped in to a niche, I take pics of everything and anything, though I do have cars about 2 to 1 everything else!
The historic name for people from my location is Caulkhead the area is Isle of Wight southern England anyone else on here from there or are Devon and Cornwall as close as you get?
Am really enjoying the posts here, you all seem very friendly or at least tolerant as from the forums I haven't seen any real flaming or aggression which is cool.
Edit,
Thanks to insanitybeard I found either I have sufficient posts or it was visible on my laptop to add an avatar pic.
Avatar is of a 25 pdr gun firing blanks during a re-enactment of liberating the french village, taken with 40D on fast drive, hit the shutter when the fire order was given then throw away 90% of the pictures! This is straight from the camera, no post production, no HDR, who knew the flash would shape out like that!
End edit.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:51:15 PM by Valvebounce »
7D Gripped, 40D Gripped*, *20D, 300D Saved a holiday now retired, *E-FS 17-85, E-FS 18-55 Kit lenses, Cosina 100-300, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 C, *50mm f1.8, 550EX some filters remotes tripod heads etc!
Still can't use most of it to its full potential! ;)  *=Purchased Used

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2013, 09:04:32 AM »

insanitybeard

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
No avatar or picture because I haven't found where to add it, or any of the other customisations like a signature bar, is this because so far I have only been accessing the forum on tablets, or is there a minimum number of contributions before I get this privilege?

The historic name for people from my location is Caulkhead the area is Isle of Wight southern England anyone else on here from there or are Devon and Cornwall as close as you get?
Am really enjoying the posts here, you all seem very friendly or at least tolerant as from the forums I haven't seen any real flaming or aggression which is cool.

Heh, regarding the flaming and aggression.... give it time! I'm from Exeter, Devon. You can customise your signature and avatar in the profile tab at the top of the screen and then the forum profile sub option on the drop down menu once you've racked up a few posts, not entirely sure of the exact number of posts required but certainly no more than 10.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:19:25 AM by insanitybeard »
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »