Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

Need help with developing in LR

<< < (3/3)

Hobby Shooter:

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on February 04, 2013, 11:40:31 PM ---There are lots of good ones, my favorite is the one by Martin Evening, there is also a Scott Kelby book, and one by Victoria Brampton. All three are supurb, but maybe formatted a little differently
I have viewed online videos, but I do not find it practical to take them in my camera bag, and, even if I did, finding the answer to even a simple problem would not be practical. Once I have read a book and know whats there, I can quickly find the section again and have my answer in seconds.

--- End quote ---
Thanks, will have a look and see if I can get any of them here where I live.  I have used the online articles quite frequently as it's so easy just to get one out while working on the computer. But books would of course be more comprehensive.

Hobby Shooter:

--- Quote from: srh on February 04, 2013, 11:39:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: Hobby Shooter on February 04, 2013, 11:23:22 PM ---I've actually been thinking of getting myself a book on Lightroom also. Is there any in particular you would recommend? I use LR4.

--- End quote ---

Not sure about books but B & H and Adorama have some excellent video tutorials on lightroom.

http://www.youtube.com/Bandh
http://www.youtube.com/adoramatv

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I will have a look at these, overall I do prefer text before video for learning, but sometimes it can be good to see and listen also.

agierke:
i can second the suggestion of Martin Evening books. he works very closely with Adobe on developing their products so that they are the best they can be. he also writes simply about topics so that a novice can understand some of the more complicated techniques. there are always tons of examples, figures, and charts in his books as well.

as far as the OP's question, it would be much easier to answer if we could see a posted image that you are dissatisfied with. the outline you provided only deals in general terms and there are far too many variables in post production to get an idea of what could "make your photos look better".

my gut feeling is that the minimal amount of post production you apply only yields good results if the lighting in your shots is great and that you might be dealing with poor lighting resulting in lack luster images.

its rare for me (outside the studio) that i get lighting conditions that are so good that i "only" have to apply a lens adjustment and a camera profile. more often than not i am doing that AND adjusting exposure, fill, blacks, then using an adjustment brush for dodging and burning. then i bring an image into PS and apply Nik Filters and sometimes Portraiture filters.

not sure if this is the degree at which you want to go but there usually isnt an "auto" method that makes photos look great. if you don't have that great light to start with it typically takes alot of work to make a photo shine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version