September 18, 2014, 10:11:47 PM

Author Topic: Emergency wedding, of sorts.  (Read 14241 times)

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
Re: Emergency wedding, of sorts.
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2013, 02:03:24 AM »
Was this wedding today????? how did it go????!!!?!?!?!?!!!!???!!!!!!!one111!!!!

+ 1

I am also waiting for a blow by blow account :)

How did it go? Was your friends happy, and you?

1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2013, 02:03:24 AM »

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 08:00:31 AM »
do you think that it went so bad that the dude got killed???
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 09:04:06 AM »

;D
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »
For future amateurs who are asked to shoot a wedding for a friend and to just have fun, you only need to rent one thing...

a professional photographer!

Some people have given some great advice, but advice is not experience.  Be a second shooter before you decide to accept the job of being the only shooter. If you are lucky then you might get away with shooting your first wedding by yourself but most people will not be that lucky and more crappy $150 wedding albums will be created.
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

ktabes

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 10:22:02 AM »
Was this wedding today????? how did it go????!!!?!?!?!?!!!!???!!!!!!!one111!!!!

No, it was now moved to the first weekend in march. But the reason why it was moved up was because a close family member is terminally ill, but now things have gotten pretty complicated with the whole family, and I don't know whats going on.

I've kinda been afraid to tell him I don't want to be the main photographer at the wedding, because the photographer is the last thing on their mind.

ktabes

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2013, 10:24:31 AM »

;D

Hahahahahaha, "sorry, old friend.... these photos won't do"  BANG

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »
For future amateurs who are asked to shoot a wedding for a friend and to just have fun, you only need to rent one thing...

Some people have given some great advice, but advice is not experience.  Be a second shooter before you decide to accept the job of being the only shooter. If you are lucky then you might get away with shooting your first wedding by yourself but most people will not be that lucky and more crappy $150 wedding albums will be created.

Yep. You are not paying a accredited professional photographer for the actual event. You are paying for the training and experience which a lot of people who are not into photography just don't understand.

I have read threads where potential customers have stated a photographer should only get paid $200 for a wedding because all they do is press a button all day. Right  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »

;D

Hahahahahaha, "sorry, old friend.... these photos won't do"  BANG

;D  Great sense of humor.
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

ktabes

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »
If that did happen. then I would have to worry about finding a photographer for my funeral.  This whole thing is getting way too complicated.

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 10:59:21 AM »
Given that the wedding has been pushed back a few weeks, and you have a little more time- have you gotten any new gear? I know there was some mixed advice on the thread... but given that you have some more time to learn it, I think if you were considering new gear anyway*, now that you have time to play with and learn how to use it, go for it!! For what it's worth, if you don't have a flash, and you now have time to learn how to bounce flash and all of those goodies, canon has refurb 430ex IIs for $239. I bought one a few weeks ago and it's been very worthwhile! (link: http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_204273_-1 )

*There's also the fundamental "are you buying gear just for this wedding, or is it something you'd want to add to your kit anyway", so make sure you're being honest with yourself about that. I almost bought a 135 f/2 just to get pictures of my sister's indoor track state meet, then realized that was a bit crazy and I should wait till I have a more continuous need for an awesome portraiture lens...

7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 11:52:19 AM »
if the friend is going to be unhappy with the results after asking this HUGE favor of you then i would say it is not that good of a friend. so long as you have thoroughly advised him of your capabilities and offered no guarantees.

if friends stopped asking friends to shoot their weddings i don't think that would curb the enormous amount of bad wedding photographers out there. there are just too many of them....
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »
I think there are a lot of poor and somewhat fair photographers out there working as "professional photographers" because they have a website and price list.  The number of skilled, experienced and talented photographers out there is a much smaller percentage.  Notice I didn't include the word professional the second time.  IMHO, the word professional only indicates the fact that the photographer charges for their services and hopefully can pull off the job to the clients' satisfaction.  The word professional in no way vouches for the quality of the work.  Today's great (or not so great) professional is merely yesterday's up and coming amateur.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

It's all about the individual.  For example, there are many "photo moms" out there that are "professionals" because they do photography as a part time side business and it helps pay for their gear.  This is how a lot of professionals start out.  It's only after a lot of time and work has been performed that the photographer gets better in all aspects, be it working with subjects, scheduling, billing, delivery of images, whatever.  Like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get.  And you only improve at what you do.  If one never ventures outside their comfort zone, they don't grow much, they just improve in that niche they are in.

Like most things, you get what you pay for and mediocre photographers won't get away with charging what highly respected and reputable photographers with a following can charge.  (For good reason.)  It's up to the buyer to be diligent and look at the past work and references of any provider of services.  I look at the wedding pictures we have from our wedding in '95 and I'm blown away.  And of course they shot with film then.  Mostly medium format.  At this point in my photography experience and with the great gear I currently own, I think I *might* be able to duplicate maybe half the shots if I was really lucky.

There is no replacing skill, talent and experience but it can be earned and the photographer doesn't have to be paid to earn/learn it.  So with that said, IMO the only thing that matters is the work.  Some non-pros will easily shoot circles around some pros and vice versa.  And I think Wedding Photography is perhaps the hardest and most demanding photography out there.  It's essentially journalistic photography in all the hardest situations but with a demand of top studio level excellence and quality.  My hat is off to all good and great wedding photographers.  All others have my sympathy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:29:43 PM by RustyTheGeek »
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 01:30:09 PM »
Well said Rusty.
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 01:30:09 PM »

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2013, 06:53:12 PM »

everyone has to start somewhere, who knows, he may just have what it takes from the off? what better place to jump in than at the deep end?

I remember my first wedding...

Although I had been a commercial photographer for about 10 years before hand,. there's nothing quite like that rush of being plunged in way over you head :)
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2013, 07:48:57 PM »
Great perspective -- and elegantly said!! It's a pleasure to read a coherent and well written post.

Thanks.

I think there are a lot of poor and somewhat fair photographers out there working as "professional photographers" because they have a website and price list.  The number of skilled, experienced and talented photographers out there is a much smaller percentage.  Notice I didn't include the word professional the secont time.  IMHO, the word professional only indicates the fact that the photographer charges for their services and hopefully can pull off the job to the clients' satisfaction.  The word professional in no way vouches for the quality of the work.  Today's great (or not so great) professional is merely yesterday's up and coming amateur.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

It's all about the individual.  For example, there are many "photo moms" out there that are "professionals" because they do photography as a part time side business and it helps pay for their gear.  This is how a lot of professionals start out.  It's only after a lot of time and work has been performed that the photographer gets better in all aspects, be it working with subjects, scheduling, billing, delivery of images, whatever.  Like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get.  And you only improve at what you do.  If one never ventures outside their comfort zone, they don't grow much, they just improve in that niche they are in.

Like most things, you get what you pay for and mediocre photographers won't get away with charging what highly respected and reputable photographers with a following can charge.  (For good reason.)  It's up to the buyer to be diligent and look at the past work and references of any provider of services.  I look at the wedding pictures we have from our wedding in '95 and I'm blown away.  And of course they shot with film then.  Mostly medium format.  At this point in my photography experience and with the great gear I currently own, I think I *might* be able to duplicate maybe half the shots if I was really lucky.

There is no replacing skill, talent and experience but it can be earned and the photographer doesn't have to be paid to earn/learn it.  So with that said, IMO the only thing that matters is the work.  Some non-pros will easily shoot circles around some pros and vice versa.  And I think Wedding Photography is perhaps the hardest and most demanding photography out there.  It's essentially journalistic photography in all the hardest situations but with a demand of top studio level excellence and quality.  My hat is off to all good and great wedding photographers.  All others have my sympathy.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2013, 07:48:57 PM »