September 23, 2014, 06:25:24 AM

Author Topic: Why did you choose Canon?  (Read 42133 times)

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you choose Canon?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »
My wife got us an AE-1 when we got married, to replace one she had in college (and had sold for a Nikon F). My first camera, I learned on it and since she was an artist she taught me the basics. Ever since I've been a Canon man, I couldn't go to Nikon, unless I really wanted to.

However I don't like Nikon. I don't like the fit and finish, looks, or ergonomics. Its kind of like Microsoft versus Apple. Nikon maybe has more features, but Canon is more of a finished package.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »

mjbehnke

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 07:28:32 PM »
I had a Pentax K1000 for a long time, as my father was big into photography and I was not allowed to use his Leica. Than my father-in-law passed away and he had a Canon AE1 programmable. Wow was that a nice camera. He had an 18-135 and a 50 1.4. When I went to the local store to check out new lens, they had just got in a new Rebel XT. I thought.... taking photos and not running out of film.... what a great concept. I tested the Nikon d70 that was there and it just didn't feel good in the hands. So, I stayed with Canon and bought the XT. I than joined the local Camera club and got to borrow L lens and that was what keeps me with Canon... quality lens.  And I think that's why Canon is upgrading it's lens, getting ready for another awesome camera that requires the quality glass!
Gripped Canon 60D \ EF-S 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM \ EF 70-200 F4L IS USM \ 430ex II Speedlite \ Love for photography.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »
happenstance then you get locked in with the lenses.....   

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »
For more than 10 years I shot event, product and wedding photography with Nikon equipment. I now specialize in wedding photography and like doing off camera flash when I can. When I saw that Canon announced the 600EX-RT flash with built in radios, I was very interested. After seeing some online previews, I ordered a pair of 600EX-RT and 5DIII. After a week of testing I loved how the flash system worked. The camera body seemed overall very similar to the D3s Nikon I was using as my primary camera in terms of image quality. I decided to shoot my next wedding with all Canon equipment. I took this image in the rain at my first (with Canon) wedding in early 2012. I sold all Nikon equipment when I got home.

Great shot, Chris. Love the backlit water droplets!

Your story just goes to show that there's a lot of factors that go into choosing a system, and dynamic range is not always the end all, be all factor in that process.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 07:56:59 PM »
Completely out of character for me, I never gave it any thought whatsoever.  (Although I do remember giving it a ton of thought back in the '80's when AF was still emerging and we were debating whether it was better to get Nikon with in the Camera AF and backward compatible lenses or Canon with in the lens AF and the new EF EOS system.  Oddly that was the last time I ever seriously analyzed it and I analyze everything!  Every SLR and DSLR I ever used was a Canon.  All the way back to the AE-1 and AE-1 Program I started out with.  When I got back into it several years ago, I borrowed then purchased a good friend's 30D and within a year I had lenses, a 40D, then a 5D, tons of other stuff, etc.  Most of the folks around me have Canon and those that don't... well they miss out!  (Because I have way more of this crap than any amateur has any business having.)

Eventually I am going to have to start going to some kind of AA for Photographers.  This hobby is really getting out of hand!!  Of I'll have to quit volunteering with Boy Scouts, School, Church and other misc things so I won't have anything left to shoot!

Besides, I look at some of my pictures and think I might be an OK photographer, then I look at the shots I made last night and wonder why the hell I even bother!!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 08:24:05 PM »
1. Lens selection, particularly primes.

2. Ergonomics. Nikons hurt my hands.

3. Flash. That's right, the 7D flash system was just a good as the d700 I used and the 5D3 is even better. Now with the 600RTs, even more to love canon flash. It's a shame no 1/250th sync for 5D cameras.

4. AF. 61 point is brilliant.

5. Rental avaliability. A lot of local shops carry only canon equipment and very few nikon stuff.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »
1982 Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia. I decide I have saved enough money to buy a 35 mm camera. I put my trust in the salesman. He shows me an AE-1 and a Minolta. I think XD-7.  He suggests the AE-1 over the Minolta despite the fact that it had Tv and Av! His logic is lenses. And, he says if you want a specific f numbat, keep changing the shutter speed! Well, I was sold! My first digital was an Olympus P&S. Then in 2004 when we delivered the photo organiser to HP (ImageZone Express if anybody recalls...), I was presented a Rebel (300D). Well, here I am now with a 5D3 and other stuff...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
I don't like the red arrow and the yellow straps on the Nikons.

Yes, really.

I totally agree. Canon's red and black straps with bold white lettering are what sold it for me. The "cool" factor was just overwhelming. Nikon doesn't have that. Everyone here knows that how a camera looks on the outside will reflect the image quality on the inside. Better looking strap = better camera and better photographs. :P
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
...and before I get a hundred angry posts, please read the words, "kidding," and "sarcasm," as they apply to the post above. (Although Canon really DOES have a cooler looking strap.)
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 08:54:39 PM »
Had a friend have three Nikon body failures during one shoot.  I don't really care if they have some better quality or not.  I need reliability so chose canon.  I've never had an issue with canon equipment...regardless of the recalls and other issues, canon has continued to serve me well.

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »
For more than 10 years I shot event, product and wedding photography with Nikon equipment. I now specialize in wedding photography and like doing off camera flash when I can. When I saw that Canon announced the 600EX-RT flash with built in radios, I was very interested. After seeing some online previews, I ordered a pair of 600EX-RT and 5DIII. After a week of testing I loved how the flash system worked. The camera body seemed overall very similar to the D3s Nikon I was using as my primary camera in terms of image quality. I decided to shoot my next wedding with all Canon equipment. I took this image in the rain at my first (with Canon) wedding in early 2012. I sold all Nikon equipment when I got home.

seem like this style has been kinda popular.  it has been done by multiple photographers (jerry ghionis, sal cincotta, etc.) the only different is that they both use water miser instead of shooting under rain...  nice captured...

Radiating

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 09:28:56 PM »
It is interesting to hear stories why people choose Canon when there are a lot of other firms? Nikon, Pentax, Sony...

I personally was always interested in photography and was shooting quite a lot when I was young with analog cameras Smena and Zenit- E (Soviet type cameras). My first digital camera was P&S Sony bought in 2004, however, i was not satisfied with its quality (at that time analog cameras quality was much better than digital).

In 2007 I acquired Canon G7 which was able to produce better quality photos comparing to other P&S cameras. Finally in 2012 I decided to buy DSLR and definitely choose Canon as they had more attractive design comparing to Nikon and much bigger variety of lenses (I always admired L class white lenses, which in my mind was always associated with superb quality). I never Pentax, Sony or other firms. Currently I am happy with my EOS 7D, however, have plans to move to FF (of course, that would by 5D Mark III). That's why my almost all lenses (except for EF-S 18-135) are compatible with FF cameras.

It would be interesting to hear your stories why you choose Canon.

I have no qualms about switching brands at any second. My primary reason for sticking with Canon is this:

1. The 5D Mark III has around 1/3rd to 1/2 a stop less noise than the d800, I can use that as noise is a constant battle for me.
2. The colors on the 5D Mark III are nicer in my back to back testing.
3. The 24-70 II and the fact it's an f/2.8 APO lens that's sharper than a prime.

That's all.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 09:54:31 PM »
Prior to 2005 I owned both Nikon & Canon, whichever seemed to do the job, in 2005 I sold my Company & retired, decided to get seriously interested in Photography, looked at which system offered the best all round benefits, Cameras in 2005 seemed much the same Nikon D70s or Canon 5D, but what directed me towards Canon were the Lenses, I didn't feel at the time Nikon had the same range or quality of Lenses, so I went Canon 5D & later to the 1 Series. Although I now have 1Dx, 1DMKIV, 5DMK3 & 5DMK2, I also recently bought the Nikon D800 to replace my 5DMK2 system for my Underwater Photography, seems to work well, crappy write speed of course, but the 36MP has some advantages, but the Menu system seems to have been put together by a Delusional Monkey on Crack Cocain.

Just waiting for Canon's large MP camera & I can get back to all Canon gear, at the end of the day though they are really just Tools, but you tend to make your bed once you get into the Lens side, not hard to jump ship on a couple of Camera Bodies, but a 100k on Lenses ?? I'm with Canon for the long haul I guess.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 09:54:31 PM »

Omar H

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »
Leap of faith/toss of the coin at the end...

Had been a P&S Nikon user for a few years, had the Nikon P100, an excellent camera and then decided to go into DSLR as I had seen some wonderful shots made with DSLR by some of the guys in my fishing club.

Spent quite a few months deciding between the Nikon D7000, D5100 and Canon's 60D and 7D. My top were D7000 and 60D. Decided over the Nikon D7000 after months browsing and reading and 2 hours at the local BB. Ready to pay for my new Nikon D7000 and the Cashier asks, "Did you find everything you were looking for?" "Will that be all for you?"...Darn it!!! I thought. and politely answered...you know what, I think I will take the Canon instead...and so back I went for the 60D. Spent the next 2 months still looking back and convincing myself I had done the right thing.

Well, near the 3 year mark, I'm happy with the decision. I wouldn't switch to Nikon today, just because I am now familiar with Canon and have disregarded Nikon since then more for my own mental sanity than anything else. Both brands are good no doubt. I'm sure I could had been as satisfied with the Nikon D7000 as I am with the 60D.

A new camera? Canon for sure! Lenses? I have borrowed the 100-400L, what a wonderful tool! Yeaph, I like my Canon! I'm a Canon convert.

mdm041

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »
Got into Photography as a hobby to keep my mind off of work.  Most of the people I knew had Canon so I figured they could help me learn the camera and I could borow lens to get started.....Fast forward 5 years and the addiction led me from a T2i to a 7d to now a 5dmkiii and some awesome lens.  I have a friend that shoots Nikon now and I don't like the ergonomics at all.  Maybe its because I'm used to Canon now.  Also, I shot some sports and wildlife and if you have ever used a tele with a Canon and a Nikon...The canon drives the focus so much faster.  Try a close to infinity test and you'll see what I'm talking about. 

I was upset at first when the new round of Nikons seemed to knock Canon back a few steps but I've seen the results and I still prefer Canon over Nikon.  I don't need the extra mp (I understand some do) and I like Canons AF and IQ about ISO 100 better.  I must average ISO 1600 in my shots so that is very important.
5D III, 7D, 16-35 F2.8L, 24-70 F2.8L, 50 F1.4
70-200 F2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »