September 23, 2014, 06:35:16 PM

Author Topic: Why did you choose Canon?  (Read 42151 times)

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you choose Canon?
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »
I've used nikon all my life disregarding other larger formats. The only canon I had in my bag was an old ae-1 program with just one lens, still works too.

Skipping to the new age, I have been very slow to adopt digital. My dad gave me a 7d on loan for a few months. I nearly completely hated it, as the system just works very differently from nikon even comparing to f90x's and f5's. however I realised how good it was. Christmas 2011 he mentioned I can keep it. That was that. Digital here I came.

Unfortunately though I had already steered my partner towards nikon. So sharing lenses is out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »
i started out shooting a K1000 in highschool (still love that camera) but got a canon Elan upon graduation.

didnt make a huge impact on me as i went to art school i was much more enamored with medium and large formats. i was able to acquire a Hassi 501CM and Toyo 45C while in college to help prepare me for the professional world but while i assisted a pro photographer my junior and senior year i was very much impressed with his Nikon F5 system. i probably would have gone Nikon had it not been for the digital explosion.

i graduated in the spring of 02 and though i was impressed with the F5 system i was more familiar with Canon. add to that the fact that Nikon took forever to enter the FF digital world i saw no chance at me going with anything other than canon.

my first digital camera was the 20D....which i hesitantly bought because i could not stand the crop factor. 2 months later the 5Dc was announced and i scrambled to sell the 20D (took a $500 loss on it) so that i could pick one up. got it with the 28-135mm but soon after picked up the 70-200mm 2.8L.

canon dominated the full frame digital market so thoroughly back then there was never really a choice for me. been mostly happy ever since! 
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

noisejammer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2013, 09:29:46 PM »
I purchased a 40D several years ago with the intention of using it for astrophotography. Although Nikon had similar offerings, the wisdom was that Canon's in-camera processing was gentler which would mean faint stars were less likely to be nailed.

As things turned out, I only used the 40D for lunar shots - I bought a cooled CCD camera for faint object astrophotography. Of course, I bought a couple of lenses which more or less cemented the relationship and five years down the line, here I am.

It has occurred to me that the reason Nikon systems have better out-of-camera noise remains the same - Nikon is more aggressive with the in-camera processing.

MrWx

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »
I didnt choose canon... My first SLR (film) camera was a gift.   I did not have anything in mind picked out.  After buying a couple of lenses for it. I was sort of just now a canon person.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2013, 10:06:30 PM »
I did not choose Canon.  Canon chose me!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:18:29 AM by TexPhoto »

Dianoda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2013, 10:24:27 PM »
The big whites?  Canon's lens lineup was very appealing when I was researching systems - I started with a T1i but wanted lots of room to grow.  Which I did plenty of (currently sitting on 7D/5D3 and a stack of L's).
Current Kit: Some cameras and a bunch of lenses, maybe even a tripod or two

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2013, 10:25:08 PM »
I was using the SX20IS and decided I wanted to get a DSLR.  I felt that since I liked and had been using a Canon camera I should stay with them.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2013, 10:25:08 PM »

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2013, 02:29:00 AM »
Geez aglet. Why u no shoot all nikon already?

Because I still like Canon for some stuff and I'm starting to like Pentax more too. :)
Not so crazy about most Pentax glass but there's Tamron, Sigma and others to fill in the holes.

And some sweet piece of Fuji's caught my eye and is flirting with my wallet.  I'll be coy with that one.

But most of my shots lately are rockin' w nokiN.
Canons get used for more studio or other controlled lighting kinds of work and I'm still experimenting w Pentax.

Have you tried a Pentax?..  Raw file quality of Nikon with a great amount of customization available and a really easy to use user interface that rivals Canon and Panasonic's.  I sort of understand why Pentax users are so enthusiastic about their platform - it's nice to use.  I'm really enjoying playing with it and can see it doing some really good work for me.  Not much to choose from with them but what's there is pretty good.  And they're thinking of a FF body.  That could be very interesting.

SJ

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • I am just an ordinary person who love taking photo
    • View Profile
    • Photograph by abi Danial
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2013, 02:39:38 AM »
Actually, before i buy my 1st dslr, i really craving for nikon, but when i test canon dslr, its feel better in my hand. So i go for canon, and now i have 7D & 5Dm3 soon  8)

imho, canon have great lens & user friendly camera system

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2013, 02:59:23 AM »
By accident in my case.

The 7D was available in a really sweet deal and I took it. Bought a couple of lenses and was married to Canon!
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2013, 03:13:51 AM »
Did not know better.

5d2 was in rage and bought it.

First few photos I knew the IQ was great. Then slowly I realized that the focus was not the best

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2013, 03:51:46 AM »
Given that I shoot mostly video...

Because it had the best video. That's changed, though, so I sold my Canon and went to Sony 6 months ago.

Qson

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2013, 04:28:12 AM »
For video mainly. Magic Lantern was ironically my selling point for the T2i.

Also a couple of my friends who were into photography already invested into canon glass so that's another big reason.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2013, 04:28:12 AM »

Trevor

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Smeaton | Photographer | Portfolio
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2013, 04:47:37 AM »
The original 5D was an affordable full frame ... I think Nikon were saying that they'd never make a full frame camera...

brad goda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2013, 05:02:01 AM »
I started off with the AE-1 and a bunch of lenses as a hobby...
at school fell in love with the F1 and its sexy big motor drive... then F1n came and wow.
the T90 made me juggle with the F1n then EOS came along and BAM!
I had to do the change....
of course there was Fuji 6X9 and my GX680II .. long gone was HASSELblaD
my 4X5s Technikardan ThchiV Hoarsman and my Frankenstein *8X10 with process lenses...
but all the way its been Canon.
The transition from film was easy with digital... used my 10D to proof slide film and all of a sudden POOF... 1Ds - II III 60D 1DX...
But the BIG factor in all these years is CANON USA service center in Honolulu Hawaii.
The good people there over the years have efficiently serviced all my bobos and made it better.
I believe if it was not for the great service ... I would not have ... well I dont know what I would have done...
THANK YOU CANON USA - Mahalo! to Honolulu's service team.
Brad Goda

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2013, 05:02:01 AM »