11 (21.6%)
Too expensive to upgrade
18 (35.3%)
Not good enough autofocus
1 (2%)
Not comparable to some Nikon's offering
4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Expected reception of the 7DII / 70D  (Read 8963 times)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Expected reception of the 7DII / 70D
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 01:12:20 PM »
The same way people have received the majority of Canon's offerings in the past year.  People will read the specs and:

•First, scream and cry about the lack of megapixels and dynamic range.
•Then, complain about how it's far too expensive and that Sony and Nikon have xxx for $xxx less.
•Flood of posts from people complaining about how Canon is neglecting their customers because they personally wanted a 5D4 or 1DX2 instead of a 7D2.
•Then talk about all the stuff that they hope Canon addresses in a future firmware update.
•Then get antsy about pre-orders and shipping and create threads asking if anyone has gotten theirs in yet.
•Then when it takes a while, we'll get a flood of "I'm switching to Nikon" threat posts and demands that Canon fix their production lines (regardless of natural disasters).

Then when it finally comes out people will talk about how awesome it is and how much they love it, and how they never doubted Canon for a minute.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:17:11 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 01:12:20 PM »

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 01:20:08 PM »
Really, no positive choices in the poll. My vote is that the 7D Mk II will be awesome, just like the 1D series is/was for full frame users. The way I look at it, you have to gauge the product with the times. In other words, throughout the last 20 odd years, Canon products were and are excellent tools for their time and have updgraded as time passed and technology permitted, albeit maybe too slow for some users and critics, but look on the sidelines of all professional sports and tell me what brand sticks out. 
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 02:02:42 PM »
Well if history repeats itself, the 7DII will be jam packed with tons of new and amazing features forcing all of the 5DIII owners to have new things to complain about!

Mr Hitler not happy about the Canon 7d...
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
I predict massive complaints about dynamic range, but that's a given ;D

Cinto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
Nothing positive? I need a new sports body my poor 7D is starting to get old. It's either a 1Dx (GF will kill me) or 7DMkII (GF will kill a little faster so I don't suffer as much). Either way.. incremental or huge upgrade I was happy with the transition between 5dMkII and MKIII and hope the same of the 7D to a 7D MKII. If not I have other options, I can just buy a 1Dx and call it good.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 03:14:24 PM »
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/rogers-law-of-new-product-introduction

Sounds about right.

Roger Cicala is one photography expert who knows more about research techniques than many researchers, just like Neuroanatomist is one researcher who knows more about photography techniques than many professional photographers.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 03:14:24 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/rogers-law-of-new-product-introduction
Sounds about right.
LOL - but it's rather a good joke than reality, because my observation is that people who know a product is crap even before it's released tend to continue to think so even after it's available. But he got the 6 month catharsis right, sooner or later indeed the "useful tool" opinion dominates.

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
The same way people have received the majority of Canon's offerings in the past year.  People will read the specs and:

•Then, complain about how it's far too expensive and that Sony and Nikon have xxx for $xxx less.
•Flood of posts from people complaining about how Canon is neglecting their customers because they personally wanted a 5D4 or 1DX2 instead of a 7D2.
•Then talk about all the stuff that they hope Canon addresses in a future firmware update.
•Then get antsy about pre-orders and shipping and create threads asking if anyone has gotten theirs in yet.
•Then when it takes a while, we'll get a flood of "I'm switching to Nikon" threat posts and demands that Canon fix their production lines (regardless of natural disasters).

Then when it finally comes out people will talk about how awesome it is and how much they love it, and how they never doubted Canon for a minute.

While your at it could you tell me the lotto numbers for this weekend cos that looks pretty spot on to me  ::)

ChilledXpress

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »

+100 That made me laugh... NAILED IT !!!

Wondering out loud as an owner of 2 7D's and to the forum... what is the number one thing I/you hated about the 7D? For me it was the noise! Fix that and make it practically waterproof.  Love my 7d's but now using the 5D3. It's hard to reach for a 7D when you have that available. The reason I started using the 7D was due to my 5D2s dated AF capabilities. I had a 1DX but decided to go with 5D3s. Great camera many times it was too much for the situation and the 5D3 was just a better fit... for me.  A 7D2 could sit nicely in the area between 5D3 and 1DX. If Canon would level the playing field in AF to say a 5D3, or maybe better (I can dream). Improve the sensor in APS-C format, make it a rugged beast for outdoor shite with fastish fps... sign me up for the 7D2.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 07:27:28 PM »
you fogot about the flurry of wrist slitting when DxO announce that they dont have 85 stops of DR
APS-H Fanboy

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »

+100 That made me laugh... NAILED IT !!!

Wondering out loud as an owner of 2 7D's and to the forum... what is the number one thing I/you hated about the 7D? For me it was the noise! Fix that and make it practically waterproof.  Love my 7d's but now using the 5D3. It's hard to reach for a 7D when you have that available. The reason I started using the 7D was due to my 5D2s dated AF capabilities. I had a 1DX but decided to go with 5D3s. Great camera many times it was too much for the situation and the 5D3 was just a better fit... for me.  A 7D2 could sit nicely in the area between 5D3 and 1DX. If Canon would level the playing field in AF to say a 5D3, or maybe better (I can dream). Improve the sensor in APS-C format, make it a rugged beast for outdoor shite with fastish fps... sign me up for the 7D2.

Agreed. My personal beef with the 7d after using a 1Dx/5d3 is the af modification. I have my different settings set to C1/2/3 on my 7D. Mk3 its 3 seconds to change. I would love to see sealing on a 1dx level and would gladly pay for it.

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 03:10:16 AM »
Firmware vs 2 for 7D didn't make everyone happy just the great majority of owners. Hopefully 7D ll will be as rich in upgrades and features. People will buy. Some will bemoan it saying it should be this and that and what's wrong with Canon. If it's a good camera it will sell well. I hope my 7D lasts a long time so I can read about it and be happy I can take pics that I'm happy to print and show to friends. ;D
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 03:10:16 AM »

vlim

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 04:06:00 AM »

Mantanuska

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 04:21:55 AM »
Either way, that doesn't close the door on an EOS 70D though - when asked when we can expect one, Maeda promises: 'some day in the future. Without fail.'

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 04:21:55 AM »