October 20, 2014, 09:11:55 PM

Author Topic: Canon's Roadmap for 2013 [CR2]  (Read 41751 times)

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon's Roadmap for 2013 [CR2]
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »
Rumorwise, I think we're talking about the wrong camera here ...

... The two entry level cameras may likely be the T3 (1100D) and T4i (650D) replacements, I wouldn't call a 70D "entry level".

I agree, the 70D isn't entry level.

I understand the plastic 60D has lowered our expectations, nevertheless I would rather file the xxD line under the "mid level" class of dSLR. Consider many pros have used, and some still use, the 40D, one of the best crop dSLR ever. No, firmly no, "entry level" is not the class to place the 70D in.

I'm still making $$$ with a 40D and 85mm f/1.8 :) I had planned to buy an EOS 60D, but then Canon released the POS 60D :( , so I passed. I'm hopeing that the 70D will be a worthy replacement for the 40D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »

Jackson_Bill

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »
snip ...
 and that they will pull out all the stops (bonus quiz question:  who can describe the origin of that expression without looking it up?)

without googling anything, I'm guessing that it has to do with the organ (musical instrument) and allowing full flow through the pipes.
:-)

Back on topic, I've been waiting for the "new" 7D for a year, I sincerely hope we see something befoer 2014.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2013, 02:01:17 PM »
and that they will pull out all the stops (bonus quiz question:  who can describe the origin of that expression without looking it up?)

I believe it's from pipe organs, if I'm not mistaken?

yep!  prizes awarded at the door thank-you very much for playing :D .  more specifically the expression arises from the fact that "pulling out a stop" opens up a particular (and specific) set of pipes to acheive the particular goals of the performer (avoiding jargon here...).  pulling out "all" the stops is equivalent to making the organ as loud as physically possible and/or all the voices/pipes/reeds/whatever contributing to the sound. 

pierlux

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2013, 02:16:30 PM »
I'm still making $$$ with a 40D and 85mm f/1.8 :) I had planned to buy an EOS 60D, but then Canon released the POS 60D :( , so I passed. I'm hopeing that the 70D will be a worthy replacement for the 40D.
I'm sure it will. But be prepared to unstitch from around as many $$$ as the current 7D...

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2013, 02:17:08 PM »

fair comments, to be sure;  I'll join you in hoping 7D2 comes before 2014,  and I'm officially putting you into "camp wow" :D :D You're the only one so far who has suggested, along with me, that the presumed demise of APS-H and the announced amalgamation of 1D and 1Ds into the 1DX creates more "room" for a full featured crop body without confusion as to the numbers painted on the side.   
[/quote]

Uhhh... page 4 on this thread.. My words were, if not insightful, at the very least the same essence...

"With the APS-H seemingly being dead as far as rumors are concerned, there is a void for those who want excellent IQ and the range given by crop sensors. I am betting the 7D II will kick some serious ass, the price notwithstanding."
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2013, 02:28:09 PM »
to be sure quasimodo , insightful indeed my oversight!  thanks for the catch!  thats three of us thus far :D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:31:15 PM by dlleno »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »
to be sure quasimodo so noted and thanks for the catch!  thats three of us thus far :D

LOL!

But to be serious for a little while. I think this is a valid question. Although Canon officially did not count the 7D as a professional camera it was used by many professionals as a second camera. I have heard virtually no rumors that pulls in the direction of a 1D V, and according to the various pages I read it is sorely missed. I think we are in for a positive surprise (except for price, which I believe will be stiff). I think that it is not impossible that the new 7D II might be a cropped 1Dx, and that the traditional 7D might be replaced by upgraded Rebels...?
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
I'm sure it will. But be prepared to unstitch from around as many $$$ as the current 7D...

After seeing the lack-luster POS 60D. I have my doubts about Canon and the xxD line.

Prices of many cameras will keep climbing, as long as the US Dollar stays depressed. Nothing new here.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »
to be sure quasimodo so noted and thanks for the catch!  thats three of us thus far :D

LOL!

But to be serious for a little while. I think this is a valid question. Although Canon officially did not count the 7D as a professional camera it was used by many professionals as a second camera. I have heard virtually no rumors that pulls in the direction of a 1D V, and according to the various pages I read it is sorely missed. I think we are in for a positive surprise (except for price, which I believe will be stiff). I think that it is not impossible that the new 7D II might be a cropped 1Dx, and that the traditional 7D might be replaced by upgraded Rebels...?

I'd go the other way, actually.  I see 1DX as the end-all-be-all for action shooters, so I think that an even faster burst camera based off of APS-H isn't what's missing now.  I'm not saying that sports shooters and birders don't miss their APS-H length, but the 1DX greatly improved so many things that perhaps the APS-H folks will quiet down some.

As far as those with the budget for the 1DX who feel it is lacking, I keep hearing of studio/landscape shooters who care less about frame rate and much more about even better IQ / DR and many, many, many more megapixels.

As far as the 7D2 being anything other than APS-C, I'm not hearing a word of it.  The 7D is the standard bearer for that sensor-size.  The thought of 7D2 having APS-H is simply not going to happen -- the brand is synonymous with APS-C and represents a key part of Canon's strategy:

• Tents up the APS-C market into various price points as a sort-of-pro camera.
  • Serves as the premium option that gets the best APS-C sensors before being disseminated to XXD and XXXD bodies.
  • Gives Canon the enthusiast market, and justifies the continued production of the more expensive EF-S lenses like the very good 10-22 and 17-55 F/2.8 IS.

Just my two bits.  I'd love to see Canon get brave with the 7D2, but too many downstream pieces of their puzzle rely on it having a best-in-class APS-C sensor to hold serve in this market.

- A

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »
Prices of many cameras will keep climbing, as long as the US Dollar stays depressed. Nothing new here.

Keep your head up, you could do worse - like living in Europe with the current € crisis :-\

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
the organ pipes are resonating with your reasoning quasimodo -- funny:   I had typed "junior 1DX" in my previous epistle but then changed it to "5D3 features in a crop body with higher fps".  If we accept the premise we have both noticed, then quite a logical conclusion is that 7D2 could very well be a page turner instead of a yawn.   All the necessary R&D efforts can be leveraged from other bodies -- only the sensor is apparently changing.  Moreover how "7D ish" is that -- to introduce a brand new sensor with such a body?  it would make logical and poetic sense, at least to me :D :D lol lol.  and don't forget that "mid level" price is, well, half way between Rebel and 1DX..... hmmm..... fingers on the calculator now.... yup thats higher than the 6D.

It should be a walk in the R&D park to borrow the 5D's AF and metering systems, drop into a dual DIGIC<something> architecture of the 7D,  and call it something maybe even 7D2.   The unanswered question is essentially how much crippling Canon will do in order to protect other FF bodies.   

it will be most interesting to see which camp, the "wow camp" or the "cripple camp" does the snoopy dance when the 7D2 is introduced.

+ 1 also to ahsanford re:  positioning and justification of a flagship APS-C body and continuation of the 7D isms that made the original a success. 

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
My 2 cents:

It will remain APS-C just to maximize reach for teles as 7D has evolved into a semi-pro range especially for wild-life and sports folks...one reason why I think Canon will not go APS-H as this will cut down on reach for these users and also APS-H will generate less sensor units sensor area for price.

As for what sensor tech:

Option 1: Canon may use the same sensor in the 7D2 as in the anticipated full frame high MP sensor (somewhere in the ~36 to 45 MP range, adjusted to APS-C size).  If true, this would likely auger a higher price for 7D2 as they can't low ball the price too much in this scenario.

Option 2: Alternatively, they may just use older sensor tech but with all the bells and whistles including superior AF system, build, wifi, gps, multiple card slots etc... or some combo of that. Using the existing sensor tech would probably help keep the price down a bit.

Given 7D branding under 6D, Canon may use the older sensor tech and use the price savings on more updated features and still debut 7D2 around the same price as intro 6D.

First option is more daring, second one is more safe as they have to keep pricing in mind.

Difficult to say which way Canon will go.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:11:59 PM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2013, 03:55:14 PM »
Just my two bits.  I'd love to see Canon get brave with the 7D2, but too many downstream pieces of their puzzle rely on it having a best-in-class APS-C sensor to hold serve in this market.

- A

just thinking about your comment here.  yea, even if Canon could produce a 7D2 page turner, they probably wont't IF the new sensor technology isn't up to it.  that may be the gating factor here --  if the 7D2 turns out to be a yawn it may be because they couldn't produce a best-in-class sensor for it. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2013, 03:55:14 PM »

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
Option 1: Canon may use the same sensor in the 7D as in the anticipated full frame high MP sensor

the same sensor technology, I'm sure you mean.  yes that would be a worthy competitor, to be sure.  If such a pixel density is worthy of a high MP high dollar FF body, then the technology would turn heads as a crop.  unfortuantely, the chatter re:  a 2013 big MP camera has gone cold, which suggests to me that maybe the sensor isn't ready, and 7D2 will have to use something else...   

Option 2: Alternatively, they may just use the 6D sensor
that would probably be a yawn, i.e. in APS-C form the 6D sensor technology would be only a small improvement over the current 18mp.  But you may be right here:  Maybe 7D-7D2 will be more like the 5D2-5D3 -- feature set improvments much stronger than the sensor improvements, causing many to scoff and then come back to realize how capable the camera really is.   

Given 7D branding under 6D,  ....

to me it is not a given that 7D branding is "under" 6D at least in price. It is today, thats true, but  7D is just a name, for pete's sake, synonomous with flagship APS-C.  If they want to make 'flagship APS-C" a true "mid level" camera then it will be priced above the 6D and outrun the 6D in every way except IQ/ISO on acccount of the FF sensor.

[/quote]

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2013, 04:23:50 PM »
Agreed dlleno...plus you got what I meant by 6D sensor....existing 6D-like "tech" with high ISO capabilities but obviously with more pixels.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:44:38 PM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2013, 04:23:50 PM »