Rumors > Lenses

Which 50mm (with AF) is best from f/1.4 - f/2.0?

(1/8) > >>

switters:
I currently own the Canon 50/1.4 but am disappointed with its performance from f/1.4 to f/2.0. At f/2.0 it sharpens up nicely, but what's the point of an f/1.4 lens that can't be used wide open?

Is the 50L any better in that range? I've read so many conflicting reports about the L. Some love it, others insist there isn't much of a difference (in sharpness, at least), between it and the 50/1.4.

Then there's the Sigma 50/1.4. I've heard it might be the sharpest of all at f/1.4, but it's extremely prone to AF problems (which I'm not willing to deal with).

I was really hoping Canon would come out with a new 50/1.4, or that Sigma would update its 50/1.4 to the "Art line" with similar quality to their new 35/1.4. No luck on either front — so far, at least.

alexturton:
I agree. My canon 1.4 is a little soft up to about 1.8. I found AfMA adjustments helped a little bit.

The sigma 50 1.4 is nice at 1.4 but suffers from focus shifts on stoping down.

I agree a new 'art' sigma 50 would be noce

J.R.:

--- Quote from: switters on January 27, 2013, 09:28:21 AM ---
Is the 50L any better in that range?

--- End quote ---

If you are only concerned with image sharpness ... NO.

AF consistency and tack sharpness is something you are not likely get with the 50L so you may have to look elsewhere. However, what the 50L will give you is way much better (and buttery) bokeh.

I have the 50mm f/1.4 and my copy is very good ... but I would love the 50L, only for the bokeh it provides ... The bokeh is not overrated. 

candyman:

--- Quote from: switters on January 27, 2013, 09:28:21 AM ---I was really hoping Canon would come out with a new 50/1.4, or that Sigma would update its 50/1.4 to the "Art line" with similar quality to their new 35/1.4. No luck on either front — so far, at least.

--- End quote ---

So am I. There is something for Canon or Sigma to win here. Let's hope 2013 will bring some news on that

switters:

--- Quote from: candyman on January 27, 2013, 11:21:42 AM ---
--- Quote from: switters on January 27, 2013, 09:28:21 AM ---I was really hoping Canon would come out with a new 50/1.4, or that Sigma would update its 50/1.4 to the "Art line" with similar quality to their new 35/1.4. No luck on either front — so far, at least.

--- End quote ---

So am I. There is something for Canon or Sigma to win here. Let's hope 2013 will bring some news on that

--- End quote ---

What about things like micro-contrast and rendering? If the 50L does better in that arena, then images can appear more crisp and defined even if it's not strictly sharper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version