October 21, 2014, 11:34:18 AM

Author Topic: 1DX - The Workhorse?  (Read 8478 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX - The Workhorse?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:26 PM »
The overall IQ of the 1DX is better than the 5D2 or 5D3.  Just blow highlights or bring up shadow detail recovery and you'll quickly see what I mean.  It's actually quite a bit better and I can push files farther than either camera.

How does it compare with 1Ds III files if I may ask bdunbar, if you had experience with this other body?

Good question.  The 1Ds3 is still better overall to about, say, ISO 400, with no editing of the photo.  However, once you edit, for example start post-processing, the 1DX file is much, much more flexible.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:26 PM »

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
The overall IQ of the 1DX is better than the 5D2 or 5D3.  Just blow highlights or bring up shadow detail recovery and you'll quickly see what I mean.  It's actually quite a bit better and I can push files farther than either camera.

How does it compare with 1Ds III files if I may ask bdunbar, if you had experience with this other body?

Good question.  The 1Ds3 is still better overall to about, say, ISO 400, with no editing of the photo.  However, once you edit, for example start post-processing, the 1DX file is much, much more flexible.

But for landscape, architecture or long exposure work, always in the ISO 50-100 range... it is still a formidable camera, no?

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
I don't think you will tell any real-life difference between the two in those ISO ranges honestly. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »
I don't think you will tell any real-life difference between the two in those ISO ranges honestly. 

Thank you, was doubting the purchase of a 1Ds III as a backup body there for a moment!

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
I think for your purposes 1DX may not provide much more than 5D3 (and cost ~$3000 more).

I own both bodies, and hands down 1DX is a better camera all things factored in... although the 5D3 is no slouch; but whether the 1DX is a necessity for you in a studio setting is rather questionable.

You will find the 1DX sensor more forgiving, you can push/pull subpar exposures more than any of Canon's other contemporary sensors. 1DX trumps the rest of the line up in lowlight, sports, and wild life photography...you don't appear to fit any of those categories in first blush.  In which case, 5D3 will offer you ~3 MP more without too many compromises and at significant financial savings.

Though exceptions always apply, and not mutually exclusive, here is a rather simple test to apply ...

If your actual lens usage on a day-to-day basis is overwhelmingly with 85L II, 50L, 35L, 24L, 14L, or fast standard zooms in this range then 5D3 may be an adequate fit, perhaps even a marginally better fit given the added ~3 MP's.

If you mostly use the 100+mm fast primes and super teles (in real use, not I have a 70-200mm f/2.8 II that everyone and their aunt has, and therefore I am a sports photographer logic  :P) then you will love the 1DX.

Just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:15:26 PM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »
The 1DX is a stunning camera and is top of the pile in most areas, certainly in the Canon model range and marginally trumps most of Nikons too. But that's my point, it only marginally trumps over the 5DIII too. Apart from slightly better AF servo tracking (61 point AF engaged) and double the fps (12 vs 6) then there is little between them. The 1Dx has slightly better iso noise ability, the 5DIII has slightly more resolution. The 5DIII is smaller and lighter...which is often a bonus. The 1Dx has better weather sealing...although I'm finding the 5DIII is the best non-1D series I've used. Both the 5DIII and 1Dx use the same AF array and system, they were jointly developed. Both can use dual cards too. In fact there is more commonality that differences. It's a pity the 5DIII wasn't called the 5Dx. The 5DIII has a silent shutter mode which is currently the quietest DSLR made and it's spookily quiet.
Personally, I'd choose a pair of 5DIII's over a single 1Dx any day.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »
'Marginal' is relative.  Yes, double the frame rate and face-tracking in AI Servo are key differences, as is the tank-like build.  But the 'little' differences add up - more accurate (and tunable) metering, AF point-linked spot metering, higher battery voltage drives lens AF motors faster (noticeably, especially with a lens like the 85L), minimum shutter settable to faster than 1/250 s, the second card slot being CF so RAW can be written to both cards without severely throttling bursts, etc.  Do those add up to >$3K?  Depends on need and budget...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »

paul

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »
I choose for a second 5D3 instead of a 1DX because of the silent shutter.It's less intimidating when shooting portraits.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 05:46:35 PM »
The 5DIII is smaller and lighter...which is often a bonus.

The 5DIII has a silent shutter mode which is currently the quietest DSLR made and it's spookily quiet.

Dimensions? True, but only without the grip:

5D Mk3 with grip & batteries
Weight 1,420g
160mm high, 150mm wide & 85mm thick

1DX
Weight 1,340 grams    
(158 x 163.6 x 82.7 mm)

Silent shutter? Worth having a 5D3 for this feature alone. It's barely a murmur...

-PW

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 06:40:46 PM »
The 5DIII is smaller and lighter...which is often a bonus.

The 5DIII has a silent shutter mode which is currently the quietest DSLR made and it's spookily quiet.

Dimensions? True, but only without the grip:

5D Mk3 with grip & batteries
Weight 1,420g
160mm high, 150mm wide & 85mm thick

1DX
Weight 1,340 grams    
(158 x 163.6 x 82.7 mm)

Silent shutter? Worth having a 5D3 for this feature alone. It's barely a murmur...

-PW

I wouldn't say the silent shutter is worth going with a 5d3 over a 1DX if you'll use most of the other bits that the 1DX has, however for some events (concerts, performances, on set photography, etc) it can be nice as it really is much, much quieter. Hard to hear over a couple of feet away generally. However, if I had the money, I would certainly have gone for the 1DX. The RGB metering & face tracking, build & quality, focus point linked metering, and all the rest of the bit is something I'd take in a heartbeat.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 07:00:59 PM »
The only reason holding me back from buying 1DX is the size - It's a BIG GUN.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:04:25 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 08:23:04 PM »
The 1DX is a stunning camera and is top of the pile in most areas, certainly in the Canon model range and marginally trumps most of Nikons too. But that's my point, it only marginally trumps over the 5DIII too. Apart from slightly better AF servo tracking (61 point AF engaged) and double the fps (12 vs 6) then there is little between them. The 1Dx has slightly better iso noise ability, the 5DIII has slightly more resolution. The 5DIII is smaller and lighter...which is often a bonus. The 1Dx has better weather sealing...although I'm finding the 5DIII is the best non-1D series I've used. Both the 5DIII and 1Dx use the same AF array and system, they were jointly developed. Both can use dual cards too. In fact there is more commonality that differences. It's a pity the 5DIII wasn't called the 5Dx. The 5DIII has a silent shutter mode which is currently the quietest DSLR made and it's spookily quiet.
Personally, I'd choose a pair of 5DIII's over a single 1Dx any day.

+1

I have 2 5D3’s and a 1DX… I have had the 1Dx for almost 2 months now and I have to agree with you. The differences are marginal at best. The silent shutter is probably the biggest plus the 5D3 has over the 1DX. More times than not the 1DX is annoyingly attention grabbing and as an avid street photographer, this in combination with the silent shutter is the reason why the 1DX stays home most of the time.  If my aim was to impress clients with the 1DX then job done but in reality, images do that. The 5D3 is no slouch in the IQ department. The only times where I can vaguely say I missed an opportunity with the 5D3 is due to FPS and I would have to really stretch to think of 1 or 2 times since owning the 5D3 where this might have happened… Laguna Seca MotoGP, maybe some BIF.

So my 1DX is actually gathering dust most of the time and may possibly get sold. I do commercial/portrait/event photography as a secondary business and justifying the 1DX value (not cost) in comparison to the 5D3 is difficult to say the least.

chilled...i've had the opposite experience.  since buying the 1dx a few months ago, my 5d3 is "gathering dust". 

to the OP...if you shoot sports or fast action stuff, then the 1dx is a superstar.  for everying else, the 5d3 is as good or better.

north
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Archangel72

• Canon AE-1
  • Amateur on horizon!!! Brace yourselves for impact!
    • View Profile
    • Dreamstime
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »
BIG VOTE for my BIG GUN!!!

1Dx... +5 and why?

because...

1. It's BIG, ideal for big hands.
2. It's for people who can carry heavy stuff, and not complain like a little girl about weight and size.
3. It's a photo weapon, and not a little toy
4. Better ISO.
5. Faster shutter speed 12-14 fps - MONSTER.
6. Louder shutter - I paid 6.200,00 Euro for freekin' camera who gives a sh.. if attracts a little attention (you are photographer, you should have "stronger armour" ...  "thick skin", if you can't handle pressure of few people complaining, and you care a lot about what they all have to say, than you shouldn't do photography... stop crying and start taking photos. (You don't buy a Ferrari, and than drive only in 1st gear, you shift your 6 or 7 gears, and enjoy in speed of light, with big sound coming from your engine, not your speakers).
1Dx = Ferrari
7. Better water sealing.
8. 400000 shutter cycles.
9. Better video quality.
etc...
I hope you get the point why 1Dx over anything else on this planet ...
No hard feelings people, but pay more - get more.
Canon EOS 1Dx, 16-35 f2.8 L II, 70-200 f2.8 L II, Extender EF 2x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT, Gitzo 3541L, Ballhead 3780QR, B&W S03 F-PRO Serie E 77mm & 82mm circular polarizer, SANDISK EXTREME PRO 16 GBx2, RODE stereo microphone, TC-80N3 timer cable remote control, Manfrotto PRO VII LINO collection

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »
BIG VOTE for my BIG GUN!!!

1Dx... +5 and why?

because...

1. It's BIG, ideal for big hands.
2. It's for people who can carry heavy stuff, and not complain like a little girl about weight and size.
3. It's a photo weapon, and not a little toy
4. Better ISO.
5. Faster shutter speed 12-14 fps - MONSTER.
6. Louder shutter - I paid 6.200,00 Euro for freekin' camera who gives a sh.. if attracts a little attention (you are photographer, you should have "stronger armour" ...  "thick skin", if you can't handle pressure of few people complaining, and you care a lot about what they all have to say, than you shouldn't do photography... stop crying and start taking photos. (You don't buy a Ferrari, and than drive only in 1st gear, you shift your 6 or 7 gears, and enjoy in speed of light, with big sound coming from your engine, not your speakers).
1Dx = Ferrari
7. Better water sealing.
8. 400000 shutter cycles.
9. Better video quality.
etc...
I hope you get the point why 1Dx over anything else on this planet ...
No hard feelings people, but pay more - get more.

Whoa, easy there. Speaking to #6, as others have mentioned as well, there are some things that a photographer can be hired for where the silent shutter features of the 5d3 may almost trump all the rest of the advantages the 1DX brings. Some places, it's not only that people would complain, it's you wouldn't get the job next time around, or even invited to leave then and there. Not saying I wouldn't trade up for the 1DX, but it all depends on the best tool for the job. Sometimes quiet is worth more than 14fps and a shutter that sounds like a machine gun.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Archangel72

• Canon AE-1
  • Amateur on horizon!!! Brace yourselves for impact!
    • View Profile
    • Dreamstime
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 09:33:40 PM »
Silent shutter mode should "ease the pain" little bit there.
Last year I shoot dedication of the church.
Many high ranked church people were there.
Everything was extremely quiet.
And if I managed to shoot entire ceremony in 1Dx "shutter normal - loud mode", without a single complain of bishop and others, than I really can't find situation where I couldn't shoot with my 1Dx.
Here is the link to the mentioned ceremony:

http://youtu.be/-kFXQUduL3k
Canon EOS 1Dx, 16-35 f2.8 L II, 70-200 f2.8 L II, Extender EF 2x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT, Gitzo 3541L, Ballhead 3780QR, B&W S03 F-PRO Serie E 77mm & 82mm circular polarizer, SANDISK EXTREME PRO 16 GBx2, RODE stereo microphone, TC-80N3 timer cable remote control, Manfrotto PRO VII LINO collection

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 09:33:40 PM »