September 23, 2014, 06:37:47 PM

Author Topic: 1DX - The Workhorse?  (Read 8225 times)

ChilledXpress

Re: 1DX - The Workhorse?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »
Silent shutter mode should "ease the pain" little bit there.
Last year I shoot dedication of the church.
Many high ranked church people were there.
Everything was extremely quiet.
And if I managed to shoot entire ceremony in 1Dx "shutter normal - loud mode", without a single complain of bishop and others, than I really can't find situation where I couldn't shoot with my 1Dx.
Here is the link to the mentioned ceremony:

Try that but replace the bishops with an angry bride-zilla and see how much skin you lose...or if you ever get a call back for more work

Old religous kooks are nothing compared to pissed off brides complaining you ruined the most important day of their lives. ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:45:01 PM by ChilledXpress »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »
Try that but replace the bishops with an angry bride-zilla and see how much skin you lose...or if you ever get a call back for more work ;)

No worries. Archangel says bigger is better, right?  If the 1D X is impressive on its own, just think how much more impressive it would be inside a big ol' sound blimp.

:P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Archangel72

• Canon AE-1
  • Amateur on horizon!!! Brace yourselves for impact!
    • View Profile
    • Dreamstime
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 10:07:19 PM »

No worries. Archangel says bigger is better, right?  If the 1D X is impressive on its own, just think how much more impressive it would be inside a big ol' sound blimp.

:P
[/quote]

;D now that's a kind of answer I like to hear  ;)
Thanks for "breaking" this serious conversation Neuro.
I'm always more for fun and smile, than for fight, just... I don't like constant complaining about same stuff, like weight, size and shutter noise.
It's a free market, buy what ever you like if you can afford it.
Unfortunately I'm not that rich, I lost my job in furniture sales 3 years ago, and ever since than I'm trying to do my best with photography.
I don't have money to buy 5-6 different cameras, and same amount of different lenses, so, when I had to choose just one camera, I chose Canon 1Dx.
I agree with the statement, that if you can afford 1Dx and 5DMarkIII, that it's probably better to choose "silent one" for church and similar situations, but... I can do that, so,  I have "thick skin" and have to improvise.
I could put 1Dx between two small cushions and... voila... silent mode ON  ;D 
Canon EOS 1Dx, 16-35 f2.8 L II, 70-200 f2.8 L II, Extender EF 2x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT, Gitzo 3541L, Ballhead 3780QR, B&W S03 F-PRO Serie E 77mm & 82mm circular polarizer, SANDISK EXTREME PRO 16 GBx2, RODE stereo microphone, TC-80N3 timer cable remote control, Manfrotto PRO VII LINO collection

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »
Back to the OP, my current working pair is a 5D3 and a 1D Mk4 with backup from a 1Ds3. I've only got to string another couple of strong months together and I'm straight into a 1DX.

As someone who has always had 1-Series Canons, going right back to film days, they really are THE number one workhorse, and the 1DX raises the bar even further. And by the way, I'll be keeping the Mk4 when the 1DX arrives. I like its rock-solid performance in just about any conditions, the x1.3 crop and the 1/300 sec flash sync too much to retire it just yet. And ergonomics? 1-Series rule here. The handling on a job is so smooth and seamless when compared to the gripped 5D3 which feels exactly what it is...two components bolted together vs a fully integrated design as found on the 1DX.

Yep, not only is the 1DX THE workhorse, it immediately doubles as a racehorse and a pretty cool show pony.

-PW

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 11:16:58 PM »
BIG VOTE for my BIG GUN!!!

1Dx... +5 and why?

because...

1. It's BIG, ideal for big hands.
2. It's for people who can carry heavy stuff, and not complain like a little girl about weight and size.
3. It's a photo weapon, and not a little toy
4. Better ISO.
5. Faster shutter speed 12-14 fps - MONSTER.
6. Louder shutter - I paid 6.200,00 Euro for freekin' camera who gives a sh.. if attracts a little attention (you are photographer, you should have "stronger armour" ...  "thick skin", if you can't handle pressure of few people complaining, and you care a lot about what they all have to say, than you shouldn't do photography... stop crying and start taking photos. (You don't buy a Ferrari, and than drive only in 1st gear, you shift your 6 or 7 gears, and enjoy in speed of light, with big sound coming from your engine, not your speakers).
1Dx = Ferrari
7. Better water sealing.
8. 400000 shutter cycles.
9. Better video quality.
etc...
I hope you get the point why 1Dx over anything else on this planet ...
No hard feelings people, but pay more - get more.

Can your 800horsepower "Ferrari" goes faster than other cars on this highway :-X

About "right tool for the right job" ;) Big gun is not for everyone

Bottom line....1DX is a SUPER TOY ;D

Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 11:53:10 PM »
BIG VOTE for my BIG GUN!!!

1Dx... +5 and why?

because...

1. It's BIG, ideal for big hands.
2. It's for people who can carry heavy stuff, and not complain like a little girl about weight and size.
3. It's a photo weapon, and not a little toy
4. Better ISO.
5. Faster shutter speed 12-14 fps - MONSTER.
6. Louder shutter - I paid 6.200,00 Euro for freekin' camera who gives a sh.. if attracts a little attention (you are photographer, you should have "stronger armour" ...  "thick skin", if you can't handle pressure of few people complaining, and you care a lot about what they all have to say, than you shouldn't do photography... stop crying and start taking photos. (You don't buy a Ferrari, and than drive only in 1st gear, you shift your 6 or 7 gears, and enjoy in speed of light, with big sound coming from your engine, not your speakers).
1Dx = Ferrari
7. Better water sealing.
8. 400000 shutter cycles.
9. Better video quality.
etc...
I hope you get the point why 1Dx over anything else on this planet ...
No hard feelings people, but pay more - get more.

Hmm...and the 1D X compensates for a tiny little....what?  ::)  :P  ;D
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 11:53:10 PM »