July 26, 2014, 08:12:26 AM

Author Topic: Questions about a 1d MK IV auto focus system.  (Read 1915 times)

Apop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
Questions about a 1d MK IV auto focus system.
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:40:22 AM »
Hey, I have been reading and trying out with the 1d mkiv.

I have some questions regarding the auto focus system,

I only have f4 lenses ( 300 f4/ 500 f4), while the auto focus is fast, i do wonder if there are people who have tested several other lenses , like the 70-200 f2.8 / 300 f2.8 / 400 f2.8 ?

Those lenses use 39 cross types opposed to 19 , and maintain those 39 when using a 1.4 converter ( resulting in 280mm f4/ 420mm f4 / 560mm f4 ), is there anyone who have compared the auto focus accuracy/speed between the lenses mentioned?, and is the tracking capability much better when using the 2.8 lenses?

Also, which 19 cross types are used on f4 lenses? ( are these the ones http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-IV-Digital-SLR-Camera/AF-Point-Options/19.gif) , or others?

I want to get the most out of the auto focus system and if there is a big difference between the focussing (tracking) capabilities of f4/f2.8 lenses I would need to sell the 500 f4 and get a 300 f2.8/400 f2.8 with a 1.4 converter.

In theory i would think if you use the expansion setting (45 points , bottom left image of the link below) with a 2.8 lens could give much better tracking capabilities opposed to a f4 lens, but it depends on which are the 19 cross type used on a f4 lens and

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-IV-Digital-SLR-Camera/AF-Expansion-Points.jpg

Thanks in advance for replies/advice/information/suggestions.

sources used:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/whats_new_eos1dmarkiv_auto_focus_article.shtml

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-IV-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

canon rumors FORUM

Questions about a 1d MK IV auto focus system.
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:40:22 AM »

Jan van Holten

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • www.natuurfotografiejan.nl
Re: Questions about a 1d MK IV auto focus system.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »
When you put a 1.4 converter on your lens, you can be sure that the autofocus is a bit slower.
Buying a 400 mm F2.8 and combining it with a converter does not help you much I guess.
If you want to spend money, buy a new 500 mm or 600 mm. With a 600 mm you have more reach and it' s even fast with the new converters type 3. What about a 1Dx?? It has an amazing fast autofocus.
Possibilities enough.

Jan

Apop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:24:52 AM »
Well, it is more about the autofocus accuracy

19 cross types on the 500 f4, or 39 on a 400/300 f2.8 (even with 1.4 converter)

I wonder how big of a difference it makes, if at all when using center point with expansion.
But I still don't know which are the 19 cross type sensors for f4 lenses

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:25:37 AM »
Just out of interest, how does the Mk IV autofocus compare to the 1DX?

Just wondering.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

Apop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »
It will probably be a lot better,

But I would love to know how much difference it makes between the 19/39 cross types in the 1dmkiv :

Auto mode
Center with 45 surrounded

I am not really able to buy a  f2.8 lens to test it out, and renting neither for the moment.

Jan van Holten

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • www.natuurfotografiejan.nl
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:56:34 AM »
First, in real world what I experience is the autofocus from the 1Dx observable better / faster then the MARK4. Recently I did shoot on a subject with the MARK4 and the 1Dx and had about 25% more keepers with the 1Dx.
The subject was a very fast moving bird that stood not still for a half a second. The autofocus of the 1Dx is really amazing, without a doubt. What I like about the MARK 4 is the larger area with autofocuspoints. It is more easy to select an autofocuspoint which match with the composition you create in a picture. Sorry for my English, but I hope you understand what I mean. Still, autofocus of the MARK4 is also very good.
I shoot very often with a converter mounted on my ''old'' 500mm F4.

With the MARK4 autofocus is a bit more slow, so therefore misses some more shots. But whe you have enough time, the MARK4 does also a very good job.

Jan

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:56:34 AM »