Rumors > Third Party Manufacturers

EVF for Canon DSLR

(1/3) > >>

DK:
Hey Guys! I'm considering getting a Zeiss lens, but to focus accurately (via LiveView) on it I would need a tripod which is not always handy. Are there any 3rd party viewfinders that I can mount on a hot shoe and connect to the camera via mini-HDMI? And then use a magic-latern kind of software & focus peeking? (I don't do video, so I'm not familiar with this stuff)

I found a few things on the web, but these things are mostly for videographers and are either bulky, or just offer a possibility to look at the LCD using some kind of lens/viewfinder combination (not very convenient to say the least).

Thank you guys!

LostArk:
I can offer you a much better (and cheaper) solution. First, if your camera takes interchangeable focusing screens (all canon FF cameras except 5D3), install screen Eg-S, which will make subjects really snap into focus vs the stock screen. Zeiss lenses have focus confirmation, meaning even though you rack focus manually, you still get a focus confirmation light / beep. Focus confirmation via the camera's AF system is just as accurate as focusing via live view sans tripod. Enjoy your Zeiss!

zim:

--- Quote from: LostArk on January 28, 2013, 07:05:45 AM ---I can offer you a much better (and cheaper) solution. First, if your camera takes interchangeable focusing screens (all canon FF cameras except 5D3), install screen Eg-S, which will make subjects really snap into focus vs the stock screen. Zeiss lenses have focus confirmation, meaning even though you rack focus manually, you still get a focus confirmation light / beep. Focus confirmation via the camera's AF system is just as accurate as focusing via live view sans tripod. Enjoy your Zeiss!

--- End quote ---

Interesting, does using the Eg-S with EF lenses lose you any functionality?

jhenderson0107:
I mount a a SmallHD DP4 to monitor to the L bracket of my 5D3 connected to HDMI to achieve critical focus of my manual-focus lenses when capturing landscapes and nightscapes.  Use of the external monitor DP4 provides several advantages.  Primarily, it allows use of a hood to eliminate glare from ambient light.  Secondly, it allows tilting the monitor at a convenient viewing angle.  Thirdly, it provides focus peaking and other visual aids. 

I also use CamRanger (CR) which provides remote RF tethering to iOS devices, including live view and capture.  The SmallHD and CR each have their strengths and weaknesses.  But both are superior to using the VF or LCD back for critical focus in certain manual-focus scenarios. 

rs:

--- Quote from: zim on January 28, 2013, 07:34:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: LostArk on January 28, 2013, 07:05:45 AM ---I can offer you a much better (and cheaper) solution. First, if your camera takes interchangeable focusing screens (all canon FF cameras except 5D3), install screen Eg-S, which will make subjects really snap into focus vs the stock screen. Zeiss lenses have focus confirmation, meaning even though you rack focus manually, you still get a focus confirmation light / beep. Focus confirmation via the camera's AF system is just as accurate as focusing via live view sans tripod. Enjoy your Zeiss!

--- End quote ---

Interesting, does using the Eg-S with EF lenses lose you any functionality?

--- End quote ---
The viewfinder gets a fair bit darker compared to the stock focus screen if you're using slow lenses (f2.8 and faster is the same, f4 is noticeable, f5.6 is much darker). Other than that, no issues at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version