April 19, 2014, 09:33:44 PM

Author Topic: Need advise on getting a wireless timer to shoot time lapse videos with a 5d3  (Read 4247 times)

Capnbooboo

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
any suggestions welcomed, i am new to time lapse, i own iphone and ipad so if that route is easier please do share your thoughts although i can agree its weird leaving your iphone hanging around till the battery die.

Then again i did look into cheaper wired timers as well as wireles ones, i plan to do ALLOT of time lapse so i am open to something worth investing in if its worth it, i will use it with the 5dmkiii.

thanks in advance
Canon 5d Mkiii 24/105 Lens Kit with Kinotehnik VF, 64GB Sandisk card/45mbs, EYE-FI 16GB, Lexar 32GB 1000x CF card.

canon rumors FORUM

Capnbooboo

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
i guess because i never programmed one myself i thought it would be easier with a iphone ipad etc, then again wireless could be worse sicne those units still look like they are telephones fro the 80s
Canon 5d Mkiii 24/105 Lens Kit with Kinotehnik VF, 64GB Sandisk card/45mbs, EYE-FI 16GB, Lexar 32GB 1000x CF card.

Brand B

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Camranger will allow you to set up the time lapse using the ipad, then the ipad is not required to actually perform the shooting.

$300 though.  I have bought one, but have not been home to try it out yet.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
For s timelapse, you do not need wireless.  There are plenty of low cost wired ones that will do timelapse, and they will be more reliable since you do not have to deal with battery life or RFI.

Capnbooboo

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
i got that TriggerTrap iPhone remote control cable for Canon DSLR cameras CL-N3 , i like their ios app, and this vodeohttp://fotobug.podbean.com/2012/07/15/fotobug-elusive-image-episode-56 convinced me between this and ioshutter,  and i agree, wireless is useless IF I GET A WIRED REMOTE for a few bucks in china right?

what you guys think, is the triggerTrap a ok choice to go with IOS devices (i have an iphone and ipad), then maybe for longer time lapse i get a wired remote but i still need to find out which one of those are easy to program, please advise

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
The intervalometer in Magic Lantern is an absolute joy to use. I would check that out if you have not already. If you are looking for a physical device to run the camera, the TC-80N3 has good reviews, but runs for $130ish. I have never used one because ML makes it so easy.

also there was a previous thread on external intervalometers that you can check out:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=4905.0

canon rumors FORUM

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm reasonably new to time lapse too.  I'm using a JJC Multi Exposure Timer.  Its cheap at $35.  But works well and its pretty easy to figure out.  I picked it up from a company called gadget infinity, who also sell wireless ones.  Do some research.  There are some advantages for going wireless, but a wired solution uses less battery power.  This is important if you want to leave it running for a long time.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

jdramirez

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

Isurus

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
I use a Vello Shutter Boss (wired) and have had no problems with it at all:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749827-REG/Vello_RC_C2_ShutterBoss_Timed_Remote_for.html

For 53 bucks you can't go wrong.  They also have  wireless version for about twice that, but wireless isn't needed for time lapses and, given battery life concerns, I think wired is preferred.

drolo61

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
TriggerTrap works nice. It acts like a wired control at the prcie of about 30€. You pay "only" for the connecting cable to your iOS tool (phone, pad, pod). Setting intervals etc through the app is extremely easy and works fine. For very long "lapses" battery power might become an issue. It only acts "wirelessly" with a second iOS tool AND an existing WiFi to which both devices are connected. There is no ad-hoc connection (so far). Way better than ceap asian copies (I own one as well) of the original canon TC-80N3. Have not tried Magic Lantern though.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:49:25 AM by drolo61 »
5D & 5D3  -  50 1,4  -  24-70 2,8L II  -   135 2,0L  -  70-200 4,0L IS  -  100 2,0  -  24-105 4,0L IS

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
I have a Hahnel Giga T Pro system, which I'm very happy with.  It is wireless - operating on a 2.4 GHz system, and cost me just less than AUD $100 - but I really needed a wireless system for what I do, including:
1) regular wireless shooting at more than an arm's length distance,
2) also time lapses -  controlled & programmed from indoors,
3) quick speed and programmable sequences of shots.

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=80&pId=80

You and/or other people might find wired systems work for your needs... and that's great - probably saves both in terms of money (and batteries).  I have only gone through 2 batteries (the transmitter and receiver each have a battery, different types, but each type readily available from most department stores).

It can also operate as a wired system using just the transmitter which uses the same 'wire' as the receiver and so can plug directly into the camera. (The version I have for Canon works on most Canon DSLRs, it has 2 wire connections, so it fits both my 7D and 350D).

My transmitter / receiver seems to work fine to a distance of about 30 metres, or about 10m to 15m through walls. :)

Cheers....

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

bluesphoto

• PowerShot G16
  • Photography is a way of looking at the world.
    • View Profile
    • bluesphoto photography
I also use the hähnel Giga T Pro II, you can use it as a timer and intervalometer and wired or wireless.
As intervallometer you can progam a program for lets say 10 shots per minute and then embed this progam in a 2nd progam so it repeats progam 1 every 5 min.
I think this makes it perfect for time lapses.
It is expensive but it can do every thing you would want.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/852088-REG/hahnel_HL_HWGIGA_C_Giga_T_Pro_II.html

canon rumors FORUM

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I have a Hahnel Giga T Pro system, which I'm very happy with.  It is wireless - operating on a 2.4 GHz system, and cost me just less than AUD $100 - but I really needed a wireless system for what I do, including:
1) regular wireless shooting at more than an arm's length distance,
2) also time lapses -  controlled & programmed from indoors,
3) quick speed and programmable sequences of shots.

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=80&pId=80

You and/or other people might find wired systems work for your needs... and that's great - probably saves both in terms of money (and batteries).  I have only gone through 2 batteries (the transmitter and receiver each have a battery, different types, but each type readily available from most department stores).

It can also operate as a wired system using just the transmitter which uses the same 'wire' as the receiver and so can plug directly into the camera. (The version I have for Canon works on most Canon DSLRs, it has 2 wire connections, so it fits both my 7D and 350D).

My transmitter / receiver seems to work fine to a distance of about 30 metres, or about 10m to 15m through walls. :)

Cheers....

Paul

+1 I use the Hahnel also and it's a great unit and reasonably priced.  Just make sure you check on the battery after a year or so!
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Paul_B

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
I also use the hähnel Giga T Pro II, you can use it as a timer and intervalometer and wired or wireless.
As intervallometer you can progam a program for lets say 10 shots per minute and then embed this progam in a 2nd progam so it repeats progam 1 every 5 min.
I think this makes it perfect for time lapses.
It is expensive but it can do every thing you would want.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/852088-REG/hahnel_HL_HWGIGA_C_Giga_T_Pro_II.html

This seems like a huge advantage over regular intervalometers. I struggle to imagine what it would look like though. Can you show me the effect his double loop has in time lapse videos?
6D, 550D, 24-105L, 24L II, 85L II, ST-E3, 600EX *3

canon rumors FORUM