Rumors > Speedlites, Printers, Accessories

Chinese aftermarket guns

<< < (2/5) > >>

dlleno:

--- Quote from: Marsu42 on January 29, 2013, 12:22:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: dlleno on January 29, 2013, 11:59:19 AM ---Sadly I expect Canon's next move will be some sort of digital key authorization mechanism  to lock down the hot-shoe ETTL and HSS communications, preventing the chinese from reverse-engineering their stuff and selling  at 1/4 the cost.   

--- End quote ---

re:  Canon doesn't feel threatened by the chinese after market.  thats probably true, especially considering the market segment that will buy into the Canon speedlite system (fueled no doubt by leaders such as Syl Arena).  The other strategy in favor of Canon is that folks will see the rapidly changing after market and opt for the stability of sticking with Canon. 

--- Quote ---
Enough people with cash will still buy Canon because of reliability and cps, no matter how good the competition is - 3rd party products and Magic Lantern serve more as a buffer to prevent budget users jumping ship to another manufacturer. And if Canon cannot grab the money, they'd rather see it go to Yonguo, Sigma, ... than to Nikon instead.

--- End quote ---

yea no question there.  one twist, however, is that the after market flash, now for the first time, is brand inclusive, i.e. you buy the Phottix gun and it will go with you when you jump ship to nikon.  not many will know or take advantage of that, but it does cast things in a different light. Brand loyalists with cash won't ever care, to be sure, but the hobbiests will. 

part of the interest in the chinese show is to watch the rate at which new innovations happen and the possible implications within the after market itself, i.e. why would a speedliter buy  into the pocketwizard system when there are flash guns with onboard radio triggers!
--- End quote ---

dlleno:

--- Quote from: cayenne on January 29, 2013, 12:50:50 PM ---I'm still saving my nickles and dimes...and waiting and watching and trying to research.

I'm thinking at some point, I will buy my main unit, Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Flash.....and then maybe look into the Yonguo lights...to supplement for other off camera lighting, in hopes the 600EX-RT can control them all...ETTL, groups  and all that good stuff.

I'd think it would be good to get the canon one as the main controller...and then save a bit of money on all the additional slave speedlites...

cayenne

--- End quote ---

exactly.   if Yonguo adds onboard radio triggers to their top gun, then presumedly the the 600EX-RT will in fact control them all, plus a 580 EX ii with yonguo tranceiver attached.  moreover, the yonguo on-camera transciever may already control an off-camera 600EX-RT I dont't know, but if that isn't the case today its only a matter of time before they figure it out. 

AdamJ:

--- Quote from: cayenne on January 29, 2013, 12:50:50 PM ---I'm still saving my nickles and dimes...and waiting and watching and trying to research.

I'm thinking at some point, I will buy my main unit, Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Flash.....and then maybe look into the Yonguo lights...to supplement for other off camera lighting, in hopes the 600EX-RT can control them all...ETTL, groups  and all that good stuff.

I'd think it would be good to get the canon one as the main controller...and then save a bit of money on all the additional slave speedlites...

cayenne

--- End quote ---

As far as I know, Canon RT and Yongnuo (YN-622) radio systems are not compatible. A 622 transceiver can control any modern Canon Flash but only through another 622, not through Canon's built-in RT. Similarly, Canon's RT system cannot control a 622.

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: AdamJ on February 15, 2013, 01:27:14 AM ---As far as I know, Canon RT and Yongnuo (YN-622) radio systems are not compatible. A 622 transceiver can control any modern Canon Flash but only through another 622, not through Canon's built-in RT. Similarly, Canon's RT system cannot control a 622.

--- End quote ---

I'm really looking forward to someone reverse-engineering the Canon rt protocol and 3rd party rt gear is available. I hope it's possible and Canon didn't prevent it by (too strong) encryption and that the protocol itself isn't protected by patents - nowadays just about everything seems to qualify for a patent.

Rienzphotoz:

--- Quote from: Marsu42 on January 29, 2013, 12:22:52 PM ---Enough people with cash will still buy Canon because of reliability and cps, no matter how good the competition is - 3rd party products and Magic Lantern serve more as a buffer to prevent budget users jumping ship to another manufacturer. And if Canon cannot grab the money, they'd rather see it go to Yonguo, Sigma, ... than to Nikon instead.

--- End quote ---
+1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version