April 19, 2014, 12:45:22 AM

Author Topic: Chinese aftermarket guns  (Read 4977 times)

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
Chinese aftermarket guns
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »
We're seeing a very interesting explosion of capable and affordable after market alternatives to the genuine article. Yonguo, phottix, oloong, and triopo come to mind, all in fierce competition with each other -- all are playing leap frog as regards feature sets. Phottix is combining Nikon and Canon capabilities in one unit, I presume to cut mfg cost.  The more Canon-oriented Yonguo just announced an on-board radio receiver/trigger in their very affordable (560 iii) manual gun.  Oloong is said to be producing a full-featured flagship clone this year, and triopo just announced another HSS gun competing directly with Yonguo's newest 568 HSS capable gun. 

With the chinese guns, speedliters  can affordably  fill an apollo orb or a parabolic umbrealla, for example, with three or even six ETTL/HSS guns without breaking the bank.    Yonguo in particular has an aparently large market share and reasonable reputation for acceptable reliability, from what I can tell.  Their "flagship" HSS/ETTL capable gun is presently $170.

Yonguo appears to be the chinese gun of choice for canon users, or at least they are the emerging darling.   with such fierce competition it wouldn't surprise me if they produce a 568 mark ii soon, by adding the radio recever of their model 560 iii.  Its an interesting show to watch, with HSS, ETTL, and integrated radio trigger capabilities appearing in the after market.  And with Canon themselves asserting true radio control with their new flagship system, the days of Pocket Wizards or other expensive radio ad-ons (for speedlites), appear to be numbered.

Frankly I'm tempted not to invest any further in the Canon guns, but just keep my 580ex ii and invest in a bunch of Yonguo guns and tranceivers.  The capability you get per dollar is astonishing, and the affordable reduncancy mitigates the reliability risk.      Sadly I expect Canon's next move will be some sort of digital key authorization mechanism  to lock down the hot-shoe ETTL and HSS communications, preventing the chinese from reverse-engineering their stuff and selling  at 1/4 the cost.   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:02:48 PM by dlleno »

canon rumors FORUM

Chinese aftermarket guns
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Chinese aftermarket guns
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
I've always felt once you get to the point of stuffing 3+ Speedlites into one softbox...

Why not just use a Alienbee + Vagabond mini? Its about the same $$$, has more power and you only have to take one battery, not 3 packs for each speedlite or a box full of AA's. Sure its manual flash, sure it doesn't have HSS, and sure its alittle more heavy but It can take some serious modifiers.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:10:09 PM by RLPhoto »
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:22:52 PM »
Sadly I expect Canon's next move will be some sort of digital key authorization mechanism  to lock down the hot-shoe ETTL and HSS communications, preventing the chinese from reverse-engineering their stuff and selling  at 1/4 the cost.   

I'd expect Canon to upgrade to ettl-3 sometime (with 2nd curtain remote sync) so that there's a new protocol to reverse engineer - but I doubt even Canon would get that aggressive to encrypt their camera to lens or flash communication.

Enough people with cash will still buy Canon because of reliability and cps, no matter how good the competition is - 3rd party products and Magic Lantern serve more as a buffer to prevent budget users jumping ship to another manufacturer. And if Canon cannot grab the money, they'd rather see it go to Yonguo, Sigma, ... than to Nikon instead.

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »
I've always felt once you get to the point of stuffing 3+ Speedlites into one softbox...

Why not just use a Alienbee + Vagabond mini? Its about the same $$$, has more power and you only have to take one battery, not 3 packs for each speedlite or a box full of AA's. Sure its manual flash, sure it doesn't have HSS, and sure its alittle more heavy but It can take some serious modifiers.

yea,  I rather agree if the goal is manually controlled power output, if the subject distance is not that dynamic, its a prolonged shoot especially,  and you don't care about ETTL or HSS, groups, and ratios all controlled via the camera LCD.   Its also true that modifiers really suitable for speedlites are fewer than many realize, i.e. many of them (especially the parabolic umbrellas) rely on true bare bulb their results. 

speedliters are a different breed.  they enjoy the flexibility of using multiple guns either together or assigned to different groups,  they take advantage of ETTL and HSS, put guns in odd places, use small attached modifiers like flags/snoots, and they enjoy controlling everything using the camera LCD.    I just think its fascinating to watch the emerging after market, which only recently is coming seriously close to duplicating the Canon flash system in areas such as ETTL and HSS and radio triggers

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
I'm still saving my nickles and dimes...and waiting and watching and trying to research.

I'm thinking at some point, I will buy my main unit, Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Flash.....and then maybe look into the Yonguo lights...to supplement for other off camera lighting, in hopes the 600EX-RT can control them all...ETTL, groups  and all that good stuff.

I'd think it would be good to get the canon one as the main controller...and then save a bit of money on all the additional slave speedlites...

cayenne

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 12:53:16 PM »
Sadly I expect Canon's next move will be some sort of digital key authorization mechanism  to lock down the hot-shoe ETTL and HSS communications, preventing the chinese from reverse-engineering their stuff and selling  at 1/4 the cost.   

re:  Canon doesn't feel threatened by the chinese after market.  thats probably true, especially considering the market segment that will buy into the Canon speedlite system (fueled no doubt by leaders such as Syl Arena).  The other strategy in favor of Canon is that folks will see the rapidly changing after market and opt for the stability of sticking with Canon. 

Enough people with cash will still buy Canon because of reliability and cps, no matter how good the competition is - 3rd party products and Magic Lantern serve more as a buffer to prevent budget users jumping ship to another manufacturer. And if Canon cannot grab the money, they'd rather see it go to Yonguo, Sigma, ... than to Nikon instead.

yea no question there.  one twist, however, is that the after market flash, now for the first time, is brand inclusive, i.e. you buy the Phottix gun and it will go with you when you jump ship to nikon.  not many will know or take advantage of that, but it does cast things in a different light. Brand loyalists with cash won't ever care, to be sure, but the hobbiests will. 

part of the interest in the chinese show is to watch the rate at which new innovations happen and the possible implications within the after market itself, i.e. why would a speedliter buy  into the pocketwizard system when there are flash guns with onboard radio triggers!

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »
I'm still saving my nickles and dimes...and waiting and watching and trying to research.

I'm thinking at some point, I will buy my main unit, Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Flash.....and then maybe look into the Yonguo lights...to supplement for other off camera lighting, in hopes the 600EX-RT can control them all...ETTL, groups  and all that good stuff.

I'd think it would be good to get the canon one as the main controller...and then save a bit of money on all the additional slave speedlites...

cayenne

exactly.   if Yonguo adds onboard radio triggers to their top gun, then presumedly the the 600EX-RT will in fact control them all, plus a 580 EX ii with yonguo tranceiver attached.  moreover, the yonguo on-camera transciever may already control an off-camera 600EX-RT I dont't know, but if that isn't the case today its only a matter of time before they figure it out. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »

AdamJ

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 01:27:14 AM »

cayenne

As far as I know, Canon RT and Yongnuo (YN-622) radio systems are not compatible. A 622 transceiver can control any modern Canon Flash but only through another 622, not through Canon's built-in RT. Similarly, Canon's RT system cannot control a 622.

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 02:17:27 AM »
As far as I know, Canon RT and Yongnuo (YN-622) radio systems are not compatible. A 622 transceiver can control any modern Canon Flash but only through another 622, not through Canon's built-in RT. Similarly, Canon's RT system cannot control a 622.

I'm really looking forward to someone reverse-engineering the Canon rt protocol and 3rd party rt gear is available. I hope it's possible and Canon didn't prevent it by (too strong) encryption and that the protocol itself isn't protected by patents - nowadays just about everything seems to qualify for a patent.

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 03:26:16 AM »
+1
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 08:12:26 PM »

I'd expect Canon to upgrade to ettl-3 sometime (with 2nd curtain remote sync) so that there's a new protocol to reverse engineer - but I doubt even Canon would get that aggressive to encrypt their camera to lens or flash communication.

odins have second curtain remote sync already i use it with 580exII  flashes
(2nd curtain doesnt work on studio strobes though :( )
APS-H Fanboy

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 09:22:57 PM »
Guns???
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »
When I fist saw this, I thought for sure it was more spam...
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 10:30:44 PM »
When I fist saw this, I thought for sure it was more spam...

I thought for sure, in a forum about speedlite rumors, folks would know what a Chinese gun was :D

Wildfire

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 02:45:43 PM »
The Phottix Mitros is now available in the Philippines for 12,000 Philippine Pesos which equals about $300 USD.  That seems to be the current street price of a used 580EX II which has the same capabilities.

And unlike Yongnuo they've included a USB port for firmware upgrades. I have Phottix's Strato II radio triggers and I think the build quality is decent and they are 100% reliable (never fails to fire my flashes) so I'll be selling my 430EX II and picking up this as a replacement... (more power and the flash head turns 180 degrees in both directions!)

What do you guys think?

http://journal.phottix.com/company-news/phottix-announces-mitros-ttl-flash/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 02:45:43 PM »