April 17, 2014, 09:39:55 PM

Author Topic: a digital photography noob has a question about image quality  (Read 9997 times)

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: a digital photography noob has a question about image quality
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »
some people here should read the original posters message carefully.

his question was about IMAGE QUALITY not which camera he should keep.

i don´t think he needs help to see the differences in both cameras.
Frankly I just think it's nice that the community here cares enough about the OP's situation to provide 5 pages of advice for him.  Even if not everyone quite grasps the original query.  That's something to think about.

well it depends on if you need the advice or not...  :)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:31:59 AM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2013, 07:27:14 AM »
Jens...as a couple other posters wrote, consider buying a black rapid strap.

The black rapid strap makes carrying a camera and lens much easier and it's more comfortable because the weight is placed on your shoulder instead of your neck.

Sorry to get off topic but I think this would really help you on your African safari trip
Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

Jens Lange

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2013, 09:02:36 AM »
Jens...as a couple other posters wrote, consider buying a black rapid strap.

The black rapid strap makes carrying a camera and lens much easier and it's more comfortable because the weight is placed on your shoulder instead of your neck.

Sorry to get off topic but I think this would really help you on your African safari trip

i will order one.

i just saw a video about them and im already convinced. :)

Jens Lange

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:46 AM »
something i could need help with is image backup.

i will not carry a laptop with me.
i only have a small netbook and i am not willing to do image editing during my vacation anyway. :)

i am now convinced to shoot JPG and RAW.
but i don´t think i have time (or passion) for image editing on my vacation.

thought i like to have a backup of my SD/CF cards.
what is a good backup device?
something to put the SD/CF cards in and that copys all images onto a harddisk.

i heard there is a good solution from epson (P7000)?
but it´s no longer available.

oh and about the 1.4x teleconverter.
is the canon worth twice as much as a kenko teleconverter (MC PRO 300 DGX 1.4x).
is there a visible difference in image quality?
or anything that makes the kenko worse?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:51:43 AM by Jens Lange »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2013, 09:47:45 AM »
Buy a few 16-32 gb SD cards and no need to worry about back up devices. Having said that USB external harddrives are cheap and can connect to your notebook.

The kenko is pretty good... almost as good as the Canon. One advantage you get with the kenko is that it does not have a protruding element, so you could almost use it with any lens, whereas the Canon is limited on which lenses it can be used.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

21tones

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2013, 10:10:56 AM »
Jens
I know you originally asked about image quality and you have had lots of comments about that. I just wanted to add some things specific to the nature of your trip. These are about weight and lens choice.
I was fortunate enough to go on safari in Africa 20 odd years ago. I don't know if you are flying, but the small planes sometimes used to get from one place to another generally have baggage weight restricitions. You may be travelling everywhere by van. On my trip I used an A-1 and Ae-1, both with power winders, and Fujichrome 100 film. No luxury of changing ISO! I used a 35-210 zoom on one body for landscapes and anything that was near enough to the safari van. I used a 600mm mirror lens (often with a 1.5x converter) on the other camera.
I wasn't a wildlife shooter before I went on the trip, and haven't been since I came back. But I was absolutely enthralled by it, when placed in its natural environment. The 600mm was invaluable for photographing single animals. There is nothing more frustrating than a photo of a dot in the distance! I don't know how mirror lenses work on digital cameras. I used it in stop-down mode for exposure. If you have been used to focusing manually it won't be a problem. Changing lenses in the dusty bush environment, especially when the van is churning up dust, is best avoided if possible.
My 3 lens choice on FF would be 24-105, 70-200 ( you have) and a mirror lens.
On APS-C it would be 15-85, 70-200 plus as long as you can. I don't know whether mirror lenses fit APS-C.
In the bush you are not walking anywhere much unless they have specific walking safaris.
Have a great trip.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:39 AM »
If I were you I would shoot JPEG.
Best wishes for your trip.
Where exactly are you going? I travel to Africa often. Inbox me if you need any info on Namibia, SA or Botswana.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:39 AM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »

i only have a small netbook and i am not willing to do image editing during my vacation anyway. :)

If you have a netbook, I would just buy a small external USB drive. Use the netbook as a transfer device, copying the files from the camera to the external drive. (or you can use a three step process, copying the images to the netbook and then moving them from the netbook to the external drive).

There are two schools of thought on memory cards. Some people buy the biggest cards they can find, so they seldom have to change them and they are sure never to run out of space. Others recommend buying more cards with less capacity, so that if one card goes bad or gets lost, you haven't lost the entire trip's pictures. I lean toward the second category.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

BagJunkie

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2013, 12:29:45 PM »
Hi Jens,

like you, I am new to this forum. A long time reader, first post.

I will not go into details about the differences between those cameras, there's a lot of people here who know them way better than me  :)

I have the 5DIII + 60D (same sensor as 650D). But, I do see a lot of difference in my pictures. Maybe not in well lit daylight pictures. Even compact cameras handle those situations quite well, that's why the companies sell tons of them.

But, here is my theory on why you don't see "any" differences in your pictures; when you open the box & power up the camera & start taking pictures, none of the cameras are set to "neutral" (in lack of better word).
When you hit the shutter, light reaches the sensors. Then the cameras not just records that light (like your analog film would do), but to a large degree "adds a little of this, and maybe even removes a little of that" (this would be the film processing you are used to) when creating the .jpg you ended up printing. It is a bit like not knowing what film you put inside, nor where it was processed & developed.
- I am not saying those images are not worth keeping because of that in camera processing, but it is just not what you (or the camera) saw. It is what the camera ended up with as a final processed image, a lot of times those pictures look great. Sometimes greater then what was actually seen, ie. because of added colours etc..

If you take both cameras, and set them to "neutral" (ie; picture style, auto optimizing, noise reduction ... more?), then take a picture. You will "see more of the sensors" and less of the software inside the camera.
- I don't mean you should turn all of these functions off just to try to create images that are worse than they could be, but a lot of us like to process the images "ourselves" (on the computer at home) instead of in-camera.

I think you'll be happy with either one of the cameras, but for very different reasons.
The cameras you've bought are very capable of creating images, most of todays cameras are  ;)

And in the end, maybe it all boils down to interest + time available + what will YOUR actual focus be on the Africa journey? Exploring your surroundings & beeing present with your wife vs creating memories or maybe even art?

Jens Lange

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
i think i will keep both cameras.
will give the 650D too my wife.  :)

im not really happy with the 650D viewfinder.
the 5D Mark 3 is much closer to my analog camera in this regard.

i also like the joystick on the 5D Mark 3.

i can shot JPG to one card and RAW to the other. that way i have some kind of backup.
the burst rate will be reduced but that does not bother me.

i also think that later, when i buy more lenses, i may need AFMA.
when im back from the trip i want a fast 85mm lens.
the 70-200mm works perfect but that does not mean other lenses will and AFMA is great.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »
i think i will keep both cameras.
will give the 650D too my wife.  :)

im not really happy with the 650D viewfinder.
the 5D Mark 3 is much closer to my analog camera in this regard.

i also like the joystick on the 5D Mark 3.

i can shot JPG to one card and RAW to the other. that way i have some kind of backup.
the burst rate will be reduced but that does not bother me.

i also think that later, when i buy more lenses, i may need AFMA.
when im back from the trip i want a fast 85mm lens.
the 70-200mm works perfect but that does not mean other lenses will and AFMA is great.

Very nice!  Good for you and have fun on that trip! 
Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »

is the canon worth twice as much as a kenko teleconverter (MC PRO 300 DGX 1.4x).

An android tablet with and On the go cable (OTG cable) a compact card reader / usb hub will let you backup cards to USB drives (You cannot do this on the ipads!)
APS-H Fanboy

K3nt

• EOS M2
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2013, 04:27:30 AM »

An android tablet with and On the go cable (OTG cable) a compact card reader / usb hub will let you backup cards to USB drives (You cannot do this on the ipads!)

Not quite correct. The Camera Connection kit for the iPad + HyperDrive's drive for iPad will do just what you want. There's always a way. :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:29:19 AM by K3nt »
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2013, 04:27:30 AM »