Rumors > EOS Bodies

5D III or 1D IV for sports!

(1/9) > >>

zrz2005101:
First of all, THE important thing is this is mainly for sports (hockey-often, basketball and volley ball- sometimes, football and soccer-rarely) Will use 2470, 70200 and new Sigma 120-300 when it comes out. Currently I use the 1Dmk3 and 1Dsmk3 with the 2470 and 70200 and find the ISO fairly hard to push over 3200, even at 3200 they are not great. Previously I had a 1D4 but it was sold so I'm looking to get the 5D3 (never used it before) or the 1D4 back, advices?

verysimplejason:
5DMK3 since you don't have any problem regarding the lens focal length but is having problem with ISO.  5D3 is better in ISO performance than 1DSMK3 by at least one or two stops.  1D4 is much worse than 1DSMK3 in ISO performance.

expatinasia:
You really need to think about your need for high ISO vs your need for FPS.

I have a friend who has the 1DX and 5D Mark III and he won't touch sports with the 5D Mark III.

You may want to consider saving a bit and getting the 1D X or waiting to see if announcement about the 7D Mark II comes out.

The 1D Mark IV does have a lot of benefits over the 5D Mark III.

How important is weather sealing and FPS to you?

zrz2005101:
Well with 70200 on the 1DMK3 it is fairly hard to get to the goalkeeper on the opposite team and it is equivalent to 260mm. If I use the new 120-300 on the 5DMK3 I would expect to have  the same problem(but since it has twice the MP on the 1DMK3 I think cropping could come into play). FPS is another concern I should have mentioned because the 5 FPS on the 1DsMK3 is not great, and I often find the need to have a higher FPS. I can sometimes manage it, but I find an increase of FPS a big +

zrz2005101:

--- Quote from: expatinasia on January 31, 2013, 04:47:53 AM ---You really need to think about your need for high ISO vs your need for FPS.

I have a friend who has the 1DX and 5D Mark III and he won't touch sports with the 5D Mark III.

You may want to consider saving a bit and getting the 1D X or waiting to see if announcement about the 7D Mark II comes out.

The 1D Mark IV does have a lot of benefits over the 5D Mark III.

How important is weather sealing and FPS to you?

--- End quote ---

Weather seal not too much, as I rarely shoot football and soccer, which are outdoor sports. FPS as I have mentioned is nice to have. AF is the most important thing as I find the 1DMK4 overpowers the 1D/sMK3 but I have not yet tried the 5D3 so it's blank there. The 1Dx is the way to go but I am really in need to replace the 1DsMK3 as the buffer is horrible, it runs out after like 10 shoots causing me to sometimes miss the moment, and I use an Extreme 90MB/s card on that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version