October 20, 2014, 05:40:04 PM

Author Topic: The 60D Needs AF Microadjustment  (Read 73004 times)

bradj

Re: The 60D Needs AF Microadjustment
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »
It's not made of metal, and it has no microadjustment to boot.
I wouldn't consider a camera at this price unless it had microadjustment.
Canon get your act together.
Brad.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »

tinnunculus

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 05:49:07 PM »
Canon's math has to look like this:

Microadjustment omission value = (price premium of 7D over 60D) x (number of people who choose the 7D over the 60D strictly in order to get microadjustment

Microadjustment omission cost = (cost of warranty repair on lenses that could be corrected with microadjustment) x number of lenses sent in by people who bought the 60D without microadjustment

If the value of omitting microadjustment is greater than the cost, omit microadjustment.

I'm not saying that they SHOULD follow this formula, but looking at it, the majority of 60D owners probably will get it as their sole camera and won't notice the kind of tiny focus errors that microadjustment or warranty repairs would fix.  The warranty repair cost is thus pretty low.  Then again, plenty of us have out of warranty lenses and won't tolerate minor focus issues, so for us, buying a camera as a second body or backup, microadjustment is very important -- so the microadjustment omission value might well be higher than the cost.

If canon wants to be consumer friendly, they'll add microadjustment.  If they want to pad the bottom line, I'm guessing their choice will be to leave it out.

Just my two cents.  I really have no idea what process canon actually follows in making these decisions....

I can add the ,, Then I wait until the 7D´s price drops to 70% of the current price" factor to your formula.

off topic

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 06:45:32 PM »
shame on the canon marketing team for being stingy

it is pretty funny how fast the feedback comes shooting back at the
manufactures from their users. Camera hasn't even shipped yet.

spidouz

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 07:05:10 PM »

Go to www.powershot.com. On the bottom of the left side, there is "contact Us" click this tab and  follow the yellow brick road.

Thank you Rocky ;)

Phil

ssbuchanan

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »
The 40D never had AF Microadjustment, and plenty of people bought that, and swear by it.

I had the choice when I was buying, between the 50D with Micro-AF adjustment, and the 40D without. The price premium for the 50D wasn't justified IMHO. I chose the 40D, and have never missed Micro-AF adjustment.

Similarly, if you value Micro-AF adjustment that much, well, maybe you shouldn't buy the 60D. Seriously, if you're THAT convinced that you need Micro-AF adjustment, well, maybe you need better AF too. Maybe you also need a higher FPS. Maybe you need a 1Ds :P

LukeS

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 07:49:52 PM »
Here is a direct link to the forum you can use to send a message to canon: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional?pageKeyCode=contactUsLanding

Bart

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 08:36:48 PM »
The micro adjustment assumes that the lens is perfectly calibrated just not correctly mated to a certain body.  It was in my opinion an insult that Canon put it on a body in the first place.  Why should the responsibility of calibration rely on me, the end user, that's a bunch of BS and anyone that doesn't believe it wasn't Canon way of pushing off responsibility has been brain washed into thinking Micro Adj on the camera is a good thing.  Modern lenses like say the 24-70 have 8 focus calibration points non of which are accessible to the end user.  If you adjust at 70mm, chances are you mess up 24 or 32 or 40 or 50 and so on.  Don't be fooled, not having the adjustment on the camera is a good thing and forces Canon to get it better the first time and not to be able to say to us, did you try the micro adj.  What a crock of nonsense.  OK, rant over.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 08:36:48 PM »

Woody

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 08:37:06 PM »
The D90 does not have AF microadjustment so Canon figures the 60D does not need it too.

They fail to realize their (Canon's) QC is pretty awful.

They also fail to realize the D90 upgrade will FAR surpass the 60D in terms of specs.

Canon has been chasing after Nikon in the past few years. Considering how they use to lead the DSLR department with all their innovation and technology, it's a crying shame.

Now, they have Sony to contend with as well...

elmo_2006

I think one thing will make them add microfocus adjustment to the firmware-- if the Nikon D7000 offers Microfocus adjustment.  Otherwise, it will take more than a few hundred letters to fashion a change.

They know what they did, and I'm sure they considered that it would peeve quite a few people.  But their goal in doing it was to force an upsale to the 7D.  If it instead forces an upsale to a D7000, see my paragraph 1.

I don't buy this as Nikon offers their tier one camera AF systems in their lower tier camera bodies, I don't see everyone flocking to the lower models.  It all comes down to pricing and affordability.
Canon needs to change their marketing strategy as I'm losing patience with their 7 year old 9-point AF sensor let alone no Micro adjustment on a $1200 body only camera!
I need some evidence as what defines listening to the customers - releasing firmware updates is not considered listening in my books at least.
Canon, please do whatever it is to get the micro-focus adjustement in this camera body.  >:(

Alph

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 09:40:59 PM »
MFA is a new technology that admits mismatched tolerances can lead to bad results and that permits users to tailor their results as they see fit. Technologies like these should find their way into all cameras.

I sent an email because the 60D would meet my needs, but MFA is not worth the extra $400 dollars the 7D is here in Canada at the moment and I'll never buy a camera that does not have it, unless it's cheap.

I waited 6 months for the 60D to be announced and I'm now considering replacing my XSI with a T2i to hold me over for another year or 2 until Canon releases something that meets my needs while not making pay for features I do not need.

This may seem like an extreme position, but removing something like MFA is just a way to try and take advantage.

Cheers

iceeet

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 11:47:39 PM »
The D90 does not have AF microadjustment so Canon figures the 60D does not need it too.

They fail to realize their (Canon's) QC is pretty awful.

They also fail to realize the D90 upgrade will FAR surpass the 60D in terms of specs.

Canon has been chasing after Nikon in the past few years. Considering how they use to lead the DSLR department with all their innovation and technology, it's a crying shame.

Now, they have Sony to contend with as well...

Same thoughts.

I'm in the middle of a repair process of my newly purchased EF-S 15-85.  And because of that, I wrote a mail to Canon China at corresponding web site.  The experience told me it will be useless to contact Canon in such way, at least in China.

I guess it might be helpful to do so in Japan, since I always feel Japanese will treat user feedback more seriously than others.

EF-L

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 01:10:16 AM »
I think the Canon is shifting their product line for marketing purposes.  I've seen several posts on Japanese Canon forums regard to this.

Rebel (3 digits D series) > 60D (2digit D series) 60D is not just plastic body, it's much lighter and smaller than 50D.
50D > 7D 

EF-S > same
EF > L (70-300L is a good example of the generalization of L grade.)
 L > SL (super L ?) 

so, if you are looking for 50D replacement 7D was (or has been) so.

ShotsForPassion

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 03:17:15 AM »
I was waiting for the 60D, but I won't consider it as an upgrade option without AF Microadjustment.  :(
I wouldn't consider a camera at this price unless it had microadjustment.
The 7D cost too much for my need, I'm not a pro.
I like macro and close-up photography, missing the AF Microadjustment is a total deal-breaker.
Maybe I need to look elsewhere (Nikon... Sony...) to find a decent upgrade for my 400D >:(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 03:17:15 AM »

afrank99

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 20D+7D
    • View Profile
micro AF-adjustment is over-estimated...
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 03:54:42 AM »
I've spent years using my 20D without it and never missed it.
And now I'm using my 7D without AF adjustment.
It's nice to have it, but I don't feel the need to use it.

errorka

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 04:25:48 AM »
I've asked the Hungarian support. I've got answer in 1 day, which is really nice, but the answer itself...

My questions:

-What was the point for got rid of the AF Microadjustment?
-Is it really possible to get it back with firmware update?
-If yes, is there any plan to release a firmware update?

The answer:

-"Canon doesn't give any information about firmware updates before release" - and they gave me a link for the EOS firmwares.
-"The specifications of the cameras are public only after the official release" - I really don't understand this.

So, I've got the answer in 1 day, but I got no answer :P

At least I've tried :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 04:25:48 AM »