Gear Talk > Lenses

VC on the 24-70 f/2.8 VC

(1/4) > >>

Botts:
Hello everyone!

I just rented a 24-70 f/2.8 VC from Lensrentals.com and have been using it to shoot around Disneyland.  One thing I'm noticing, and wonder if it may be just this copy is that the VC/IS, isn't nearly as good as I had expected.

I have extensively used a 7D & 17-55 f/2.8 IS combo, and the IS on the 17-55 seems at least a full-stop equivalent better than the Tamron's VC, closer to 2 full stops.  I could handhold 80% of my shots sharp on the 17-55 at 1/8, but I'm only hitting about 20% sharp with the 24-70 @ 1/20th.

Has anyone else been able to do a similar comparison?

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: Botts on February 01, 2013, 02:53:54 AM ---Has anyone else been able to do a similar comparison?

--- End quote ---

I don't have the 24-70vc (yet), though I guess I'm guilty of having read about every review and post about it trying to decide between this lens and the new and much more expensive Canon counterpart.

From everything I read the vc is said to be equal to Canon, though from my personal hands-on experience I think the swing-in time of the vc seems to be longer than on my IS lenses (esp. 70-300L) - did you allow for the vc to settle before taking your shots?

Maybe you could post two sample shots (crops) to let us see us your experience, they were taken at the same aperture & focal length = same magnification? It isn't an afma/af problem?

Botts:
I don't have my Aperture library with me, but when I get home I'll grab a couple.

I started even using a 1 second burst to allow the VC to for sure have a chance to settle.

With respect to AFMA, I used Focal Pro on the lens as soon as it arrived, and got good AFMA results, so that's not it.  It's clearly motion blur.

TWI by Dustin Abbott:
I can pretty consistently handhold 1/8th with mine, but this is my second copy.  I didn't feel that my first one was within spec with the VC (I would get the jumping and inconsistent VC performance).  My second copy is very solid in this regard.

1/10th is probably close to 100% with mine.  1/8th is probably at least 80%.

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: TWI by Dustin Abbott on February 01, 2013, 11:47:32 AM ---I didn't feel that my first one was within spec with the VC (I would get the jumping and inconsistent VC performance).

--- End quote ---

Since I'm most probably going to buy the Tamron, too: could you please write how you tested the lens for "proper" vc performance and came to the conclusion to replace it?

That'd be really most helpful for us budget Tamron customers :-) ... the good thing about Tamron for sure is that they do free lens-body calibrations and have the 6y warranty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version