Gear Talk > Lenses

VC on the 24-70 f/2.8 VC

<< < (2/4) > >>

Rienzphotoz:

--- Quote from: Botts on February 01, 2013, 02:53:54 AM ---Hello everyone!

I just rented a 24-70 f/2.8 VC from Lensrentals.com and have been using it to shoot around Disneyland.  One thing I'm noticing, and wonder if it may be just this copy is that the VC/IS, isn't nearly as good as I had expected.

I have extensively used a 7D & 17-55 f/2.8 IS combo, and the IS on the 17-55 seems at least a full-stop equivalent better than the Tamron's VC, closer to 2 full stops.  I could handhold 80% of my shots sharp on the 17-55 at 1/8, but I'm only hitting about 20% sharp with the 24-70 @ 1/20th.

Has anyone else been able to do a similar comparison?

--- End quote ---
I just bought the Tamron 24-70 VC last week ... and I had 17-55 till a few months ago for 3 years (I sold it in September 2012 to fund 5D MK III) ... as far as VC/IS is concerned IMO, Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 is more effective than Canon 17-55 f/2.8. I think it is just your copy that is at fault (if any).

TWI by Dustin Abbott:

--- Quote from: Marsu42 on February 01, 2013, 12:08:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: TWI by Dustin Abbott on February 01, 2013, 11:47:32 AM ---I didn't feel that my first one was within spec with the VC (I would get the jumping and inconsistent VC performance).

--- End quote ---

Since I'm most probably going to buy the Tamron, too: could you please write how you tested the lens for "proper" vc performance and came to the conclusion to replace it?

That'd be really most helpful for us budget Tamron customers :-) ... the good thing about Tamron for sure is that they do free lens-body calibrations and have the 6y warranty.

--- End quote ---

First, I had an idea how Tamron's VC system should work, having using a couple of copies of the 70-300 VC as well as the 18-270 at one point (and I don't think that the 24-70VC system is quite as comparatively effective as the 70-300 - it is stunningly good).  I didn't feel like the first copy was working to spec, so I ran a few tests:

I approached it in two ways: I did a series of images with a bookshelf filled with books (very fine details) and shot multiple series of photos at different focal lengths with VC on/off.

I did a similar series for a reference point with the 24-105L, 70-200L IS, and the Tamron 70-300 VC.

It became quickly apparent that the Tamron system was not consistently working by comparison.  My field tests revealed the same issue.  I was also getting some of the jumping in the viewfinder as the VC engaged, and sometimes an apparent delay before VC was engaging (which wouldn't suit for my work - I do a lot of event work and weddings where you don't have time to wait for the system to engage).

I had no problem exchanging with the online retailer I bought from, and I have been thrilled with my second copy in every way.

TWI by Dustin Abbott:

--- Quote from: Rienzphotoz on February 01, 2013, 12:41:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Botts on February 01, 2013, 02:53:54 AM ---Hello everyone!

I just rented a 24-70 f/2.8 VC from Lensrentals.com and have been using it to shoot around Disneyland.  One thing I'm noticing, and wonder if it may be just this copy is that the VC/IS, isn't nearly as good as I had expected.

I have extensively used a 7D & 17-55 f/2.8 IS combo, and the IS on the 17-55 seems at least a full-stop equivalent better than the Tamron's VC, closer to 2 full stops.  I could handhold 80% of my shots sharp on the 17-55 at 1/8, but I'm only hitting about 20% sharp with the 24-70 @ 1/20th.

Has anyone else been able to do a similar comparison?

--- End quote ---
I just bought the Tamron 24-70 VC last week ... and I had 17-55 till a few months ago for 3 years (I sold it in September 2012 to fund 5D MK III) ... as far as VC/IS is concerned IMO, Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 is more effective than Canon 17-55 f/2.8. I think it is just your copy that is at fault (if any).

--- End quote ---

+1

Botts:
I'll have to rent another copy to try it then.  With the lens I was shooting with the 17-55 was decidedly better.

Also, bring that lens hood with you if you buy the Tamron 24-70mm, flare kills it's contrast.

Marsu42:
I'm reading that older Tamron copies have issues with the 6d and are more prone to vc failures (and probably other problems) ...

... Question: How do I prevent ending up with an old copy that has been returned and serviced? Can anyone probably tell me what serial numbers could be considered as recent/new, or aren't new lenses as easy to identify like with the Canon date code?

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version