Gear Talk > Lenses

Metabones Speed Booster -- why only for FF to APS-C?

(1/3) > >>

ahsanford:
So I've done a little reading on the Speed Booster from Metabones.  Good breakdown here by Roger Cicala at LR:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/metabones-magic

So, the fastest way to describe it is as the reverse of teleconverter.  You lose length but gain speed.

I know that every time you bolt on something in series to a lens, something bad usually happens from an IQ perspective.  But blowing that off for just a moment, I had a question.

This thing is being positioned as a way to shoot a lens on an APS-C body at about the same focal length as FF (i.e a 50mm shot on an APS-C body + this doodad results in a roughly 50mm FF field of view).  It yanks out the crop multiplier, if you will.

However, I am far more interested in focusing the light and simulating a faster lens.  Would it be possible to make this work on FF bodies?  Could I turn my 50 F/1.4 into something like a 35mm F/1.0 on my 5D3? 

(Obviously, this version of speed booster would not work, but in principle, could one make an FF to FF speedbooster?)

Just curious, thx.

- A

Plamen:

--- Quote from: ahsanford on February 01, 2013, 08:22:02 PM ---
However, I am far more interested in focusing the light and simulating a faster lens.  Would it be possible to make this work on FF bodies?  Could I turn my 50 F/1.4 into something like a 35mm F/1.0 on my 5D3? 

--- End quote ---

No. Such an adapter will produce images similar to a circular fisheye - with black corners, and even worse. Except for the TS-E lenses maybe.

ahsanford:

Ah.  So we need a medium format to FF speed booster, eh?

It might be cheaper to just get an old EF 50 F/1.0L.   :P

Thx,
A

Plamen:
You need MF lenses as well. Even then, the sensors would not be able to record most of the extra light due to microlens vignetting.

ahsanford:

--- Quote from: Plamen on February 01, 2013, 09:28:40 PM ---You need MF lenses as well. Even then, the sensors would not be able to record most of the extra light due to microlens vignetting.

--- End quote ---

That part I understood.  The need for a fast MF lens was why I said the EF 50 F/1.0 might be a cheaper option.   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version