April 18, 2014, 07:03:03 AM

Author Topic: Metabones Speed Booster -- why only for FF to APS-C?  (Read 1414 times)

ahsanford

• 6D
    • View Profile
Metabones Speed Booster -- why only for FF to APS-C?
« on: February 01, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »
So I've done a little reading on the Speed Booster from Metabones.  Good breakdown here by Roger Cicala at LR:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/metabones-magic

So, the fastest way to describe it is as the reverse of teleconverter.  You lose length but gain speed.

I know that every time you bolt on something in series to a lens, something bad usually happens from an IQ perspective.  But blowing that off for just a moment, I had a question.

This thing is being positioned as a way to shoot a lens on an APS-C body at about the same focal length as FF (i.e a 50mm shot on an APS-C body + this doodad results in a roughly 50mm FF field of view).  It yanks out the crop multiplier, if you will.

However, I am far more interested in focusing the light and simulating a faster lens.  Would it be possible to make this work on FF bodies?  Could I turn my 50 F/1.4 into something like a 35mm F/1.0 on my 5D3? 

(Obviously, this version of speed booster would not work, but in principle, could one make an FF to FF speedbooster?)

Just curious, thx.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

Metabones Speed Booster -- why only for FF to APS-C?
« on: February 01, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »

Plamen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Re: Metabones Speed Booster -- why only for FF to APS-C?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:03:44 PM »

However, I am far more interested in focusing the light and simulating a faster lens.  Would it be possible to make this work on FF bodies?  Could I turn my 50 F/1.4 into something like a 35mm F/1.0 on my 5D3? 

No. Such an adapter will produce images similar to a circular fisheye - with black corners, and even worse. Except for the TS-E lenses maybe.

ahsanford

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:12:16 PM »

Ah.  So we need a medium format to FF speed booster, eh?

It might be cheaper to just get an old EF 50 F/1.0L.   :P

Thx,
A

Plamen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 09:28:40 PM »
You need MF lenses as well. Even then, the sensors would not be able to record most of the extra light due to microlens vignetting.

ahsanford

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »
You need MF lenses as well. Even then, the sensors would not be able to record most of the extra light due to microlens vignetting.

That part I understood.  The need for a fast MF lens was why I said the EF 50 F/1.0 might be a cheaper option.   :D

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:47:37 PM »

Thx,
A

LOL that lens is never cheap, $3500 to $4000 used, and relative to that price it's absolute garbage.  Even the 50mm f/1.4 is sharper.  And you don't need MF lenses, (almost) any EF mount lens will work with it.

And I guess someone explained why the speed booster wont work, it only gains the extra stop because of the distance it adds between the lens and sensor.  But the whole point of it is to give S35/APS-C sensors a full frame field of view.  But you already have a FF camera, so you already have what this gives you.

If you want an f/1 lens go get some Leica Noctilux or buy a Micro Four Thirds camera and get one of the f/0.95s they have for that.  I mean do you really need an f/1 lens?  I'm sure the hyper focal distance is less than an inch wide open. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:00:48 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

azezal

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:57:34 PM »
Its a shame really,for now everyone is stuck with the brenizer's method
Anonymity is a blessing,Ignorance is bliss

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:57:34 PM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »

You don't need MF lenses for the speed booster to work, it is a NEX to EF adapter after all, how many Canon lenses are MF only?  Now it does essentially make your AF lenses into MF lenses, since the AF sucks with the adapter. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Plamen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »

You don't need MF lenses for the speed booster to work, it is a NEX to EF adapter after all,
[...]
You should have read the OP.

fonts

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »

Ah.  So we need a medium format to FF speed booster, eh?

Thx,
A

In a sense yes, you would need a MF lens, an adapter to convert that lens to FF, and there you have it. I don't think you would have any sort of IQ degration at all, infact maybe opposite, but that's something worth researching.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:34:32 PM »

And I guess someone explained why the speed booster wont work, it only gains the extra stop because of the distance it adds between the lens and sensor. 
Actually, what it does is take a larger image circle and refocus it into a smaller image circle that is brighter, and has the wider field of view.
The distance to the lens and sensor is necessary due to the additional hardware being inserted in the light path, but has nothing to do with the image being brighter or wider.
I doubt that there would be a big market for adapting MF lenses to FF, most MF lenses run from 40mm and up, and can cost a lot for a good one, you can buy a wide FF EF lens with autofocus for less and get sharper images as well.
The real utility of the adapter is for someone owning a bunch of Canon FF glass who wants to adapt it to a mirrorless body and not have to buy new wider lenses to get the proper FOV.  Even then, its probably a product with a limited market.  Perhaps for a enthusiast level EOS M?

Nick Gombinsky

• Rebel SL1
  • Workaholic and alcoholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 01:20:33 AM »
Besides, medium format lenses rarely go faster than f3.5. So an adapter with a focal reducer from MF to FF won't be much of help... just more optics getting in the way...
Canon 7D + grip, Canon 7N + grip
Samyang 16mm f2, 24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4, Pentax Takumar SMC M42 50mm f1.4 and 135mm f2.5
Blackmagic 4K and lots of goodies

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 01:20:33 AM »