October 22, 2014, 10:34:20 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1D X tethered via LAN?  (Read 6511 times)

92101media

Re: Canon EOS 1D X tethered via LAN?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
What I'm envisioning is while at...say a triathlon...there is a photographer shooting the swim, one on the bike and one on the run.  But meanwhile back at the finish line there sits a nice big screen TV with a slideshow running thru real-time captured photos so everyone can stand around watching for pictures of themselves (and then buy a few.   ;) )

One way to do this would be for each photographer to shoot using an Eye-Fi SD card (SD card with built-in WiFi) in their camera, which is connected via WiFi to a wireless mobile hotspot (like the Verizon Mifi), or a phone that can act as a wireless mobile hotspot. The wireless mobile hotpsot would enable the images (most likely low-res jpegs due to speed & monthly data cap limits) to be uploaded to an online server. This has already been done at tech & consumer electronics shows, where the images are uploaded to online news sites in real-time as they are taken, in order to get the 'scoop' on first pics of new devices etc.

Then back at the finish, the big screen TV could be used to display the images uploaded to the server by being connected to a computer (a simple netbook would probably do). Of course the computer would also need internet access to download the images from the image server. This could again be done using a wireless mobile hotspot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »
As for wireless... Wireless is still extremely slow but very convenient for file transfers. Have a look at http://www.eye.fi/
So we won't need wireless adaptors on the camera... The memory card will have it :)

Except EyeFi cards are SD-format only, and many higher-end Canon bodies use only CF cards - including the 1D X.  So, your talking about an EyeFi card inserted into a SD-to-CF adapter which seems like a potentially problematic setup.

As mentioned when I refered to the EyeFi card, it is not near what is expected in a PRO market and I am fully aware that it is only an SD card and that a CF adaptor will be required. I was only pointing out that EyeFi has an idea with potential. They are clearly marketing for the typical family camera where mommy can take photos and it get's send immediately to facebook etc.

tt

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »
Eyefi going to an iPad 3 4G.
Then that's syncing iCloud or an app.

Or AirPlay the pictures afterwards via an Apple TV.

If Someone could get the wifi grip to hook up that could be a good
Way also.

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 02:01:28 AM »
You could always use the eye-fi card in a 5D MkIII. :)

markfink

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
Tethering via LAN or Cat 5 cable use allows for a really positive lock to the camera and cheap and common cords in endless lengths.  I just received my new 1D X (2/2013) and I have tethered every opportunity previously with the 1Ds MkIII etc. 

The problem always was the weak connection to the camera and even a small tug can lead to a disconnect and at times requires a whole reboot of the computer to get the software/camera to talk again.  I actually like EOSUtility for all it's functions and that it's free.  It's much more than a shutter release.

The speed of transfer via Cat 5 from the 1D X seems to be comparable with a USB cable to the Mac,  But the  connection of camera to computer via the Wizard is taking 2 minutes 20 seconds - an eternity during a break to reconnect for any reason.  USB can take 10-20 seconds and that feels bad but 2 minutes?

I'll most likely continue using USB unless I can speed up the connection initialization.

In time I'll figure out manual settings which might speed things but since little exists on the subject of how to and settings up outside of the Wizard I'll post here anyway.  I know it's an old topic.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:15:00 AM by markfink »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »