August 27, 2014, 03:09:50 PM

Author Topic: What do you think will be the Shelf life of the EOS 6D ?  (Read 23218 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think will be the Shelf life of the EOS 6D ?
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »
The solidity of the 6D is not an issue, it is very rigid and robust.  There really is no major issue at all.

Not putting too fine a point on it: How could you tell? The 6d is not out long enough to evaluate its durability, but the specs cast a doubt on it (short shutter life, no 1/8000 shutter) plus it's only "amateur" cps silver in the EU vs. 5d2/5d3 "platinum" which might mean it's just marketing, but then again it might mean Canon really thinks the 6d will be broken more often.

I guess what I'm saying is, I see zero valid reason to buy a used 5D2 over a new or used 6D today...other than nostalgia.

Joystick is nice if your other camera bodies also have it (that's why I'm happy with my 60d & 6d) ... and for the 5d2 there's longer shutter life, 1/8000s shutter speed, 1/200 x-sync which are important/hard aspects and might make some people decide still for the 5d2.

Is there that much difference between 1/180 sec flash sync, and 1/200?  The strobe effect of the flash is much faster than the sync, so that is essentially the exposure of light on the subject.  There was another thread about flash photogs always shooting in manual mode, to vary the amount of ambient light that fills their flash images...so how much of an issue is 1/20 of a second of flash sync difference going to make?  None really.

And the 6D is rated for the same 100,000 shutter cycles as your 60D, so unless you're going to sell your 60D immediately...you're kind of trying to have it both ways here.  I believe the 5D2 was rated for 150,000 cycles...not a huge difference, especially when compared to 1 series...and their rumored shutter lives of half a million plus actuations.

I believe you own and use the 6D, do you not?  I could be mistaken...but if you do, you definitely should sell it immediately, since it's such an inept camera for you.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2013, 09:24:10 PM »

Not putting too fine a point on it: How could you tell? The 6d is not out long enough to evaluate its durability, but the specs cast a doubt on it (short shutter life, no 1/8000 shutter) plus it's only "amateur" cps silver in the EU vs. 5d2/5d3 "platinum" which might mean it's just marketing, but then again it might mean Canon really thinks the 6d will be broken more

I noticed this too. The original 5D is 'gold'. The 6D sits in a different marketing position that it's creation created. It wouldn't surprise me if the 6D uses quite a few 5D mkii parts such as the prism, shutter etc and the syncs, max Ss etc are just marketing. Only time will tell on the durability, but I'm quite confident.

+1 !!

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »
You're right, you can't.  But it goes the other way too.  People talk a lot of the increased durability of the bigger heavier cameras, but the data is anecdotal at best.

... except for shutter life, there's no doubt more expensive cameras are built to withstand shooting at max. shutter speed, while a landscape/portrait camera like the 6d won't withstand that abuse but is expected to be shot at moderate shutter speeds.

Yes, agreed.  I actually had a "except for shutter life..." in my original post but I pulled it out to keep it shorter.  But to me that has more to do with the fact that Canon made a claim on the shutter life, so I would hold Canon to it if it came up short.  But even that is just a guideline, I had well over 100k on my 450D before I replaced it, and it’s still shooting just fine.

And I’m not claiming that Rebels are as robust as higher end models, just that the perceived robustness of higher end models may not make a marked difference in the life span in general.

Interesting points, and most interesting that you've gotten over 100k cycles on your Rebel.  Which Rebel is it again?

Frankly I don't need to shoot 150,000 cycles at 1/8000 of a second, and neither does anyone else in the world for that matter.  1/4000 of a second more than gets the job done.  For my pro aerial shots, 1/2500 is fast enough to freeze everything completely...while being shaken up and down as if I'm on the back of a bucking bronco (turbulence in a Cessna going 90+ mph, window open...prop blast occasionally coming in)...and even while zoomed in to 200mm...while managing accurate infinity autofocus to boot.

What is the maximum shutter speed any sports pro uses 95% of the time?  I bet it's under 1/4000.  Even Formula 1 crash shots are usually under 1/4000...at least the ones I've seen published.  Why?  Well because they're at F/8 at 600mm or more, and I guess they don't wanna shoot at ISO 12,000+...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2013, 10:06:42 PM »
Frankly I don't need to shoot 150,000 cycles at 1/8000 of a second, and neither does anyone else in the world for that matter.  1/4000 of a second more than gets the job done. 

Good point, I don't think I've ever needed 1/8000 s to stop action when 1/4000 s wouldn't have worked (though I have had times when neither were fast enough, and I needed the ~1/30000 s duration of a Speedlite at 1/128 power).  But, it's not only about stopping action - I've used 1/8000 many times.   The extra stop is useful when shooting outdoor portraits with a fast prime, if you don't have an ND filter handy, want a strong background blur, and don't want blown highlights.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2013, 03:16:35 AM »
Frankly I don't need to shoot 150,000 cycles at 1/8000 of a second, and neither does anyone else in the world for that matter.  1/4000 of a second more than gets the job done. 

Good point, I don't think I've ever needed 1/8000 s to stop action when 1/4000 s wouldn't have worked (though I have had times when neither were fast enough, and I needed the ~1/30000 s duration of a Speedlite at 1/128 power).  But, it's not only about stopping action - I've used 1/8000 many times.   The extra stop is useful when shooting outdoor portraits with a fast prime, if you don't have an ND filter handy, want a strong background blur, and don't want blown highlights.

True...but an ND filter costs a lot less than $1200, if you need to shoot f/1.2 in bright sunlight.  Of course you can always pay a lot for the convenience of not having to take the filter out of the bag and screw it on.  It just depends on how much luxury you're willing to buy to get the job done.  Those of us who would prefer to make a profit from photography, would have a hard time doing so if we spent a fortune up front, though.

I've used 1/8000 of a second too with other bodies, but it was about .005% of the time.  1/6400 and 1/5000/second was more like .008% of the time.  Not exactly a necessity.  The better 61 point AF is radically more useful than going from 1/4000 to 1/8000 of a second...or going from 1/180 sync to 1/200...or an extra 50k shutter cycles 5 years from now (pretty sure I will have sold my own 6D before it even hits 30 or 40k cycles...let alone 100k...my 50D only had 25k cycles in 4 years.  It also had a flash sync specified at 1/250 second, so I guess it was better than a 5D3 in that regard).

I hope you've racked up the cycles on your 1DX like you rack up posts in this forum...how many cycles you got on the 1DX now?  30k?  That's my guess anyway.  I just rolled over 10k on my 6D...I think.  I need to check and see how many my cousin has on his 1DX.  I bet it's only like 4000, if that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:21:56 AM by CarlTN »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2013, 04:19:04 AM »
True...but an ND filter costs a lot less than $1200, if you need to shoot f/1.2 in bright sunlight.

The situation where the lack of 1/8000 hurts is bracketing in bright light, for example if you've got the evening sun in the picture... and you can't use an nd filter here, because you also want to have the shadows in one bracket.

or going from 1/180 sync to 1/200...

My main issue with the slow x-sync is not the difference to 1/200s, but that you have to set 1/2ev exposure level increments to get it (or it's 1/160s) - but that *also* means you can only set 1/2ev flash ec steps, which are far too large steps for ettl metering :-(

I didn't succeed yet to force 1/180s on the 6d in 1/3ev more through Magic Lantern because the canon fw forces it to 1/2ev steps... the only way to combine max. x-sync with the smaller steps is in Av mode with a fixed 1/180s shutter speed (in the flash menu).

or an extra 50k shutter cycles 5 years from now (pretty sure I will have sold my own 6D before it even hits 30 or 40k cycles...let alone 100k...my 50D only had 25k cycles in 4 years.

Oh my, I'm at nearly 10k after one month (I shoot a lot of fluffy things that move around), I really hope the 6d shutter is sturdier than what the spec indicates, my 100k rated 60d is still fine @150k cycles :-o

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »
True...but an ND filter costs a lot less than $1200, if you need to shoot f/1.2 in bright sunlight.

The situation where the lack of 1/8000 hurts is bracketing in bright light, for example if you've got the evening sun in the picture... and you can't use an nd filter here, because you also want to have the shadows in one bracket.

or going from 1/180 sync to 1/200...

My main issue with the slow x-sync is not the difference to 1/200s, but that you have to set 1/2ev exposure level increments to get it (or it's 1/160s) - but that *also* means you can only set 1/2ev flash ec steps, which are far too large steps for ettl metering :-(

I didn't succeed yet to force 1/180s on the 6d in 1/3ev more through Magic Lantern because the canon fw forces it to 1/2ev steps... the only way to combine max. x-sync with the smaller steps is in Av mode with a fixed 1/180s shutter speed (in the flash menu).

or an extra 50k shutter cycles 5 years from now (pretty sure I will have sold my own 6D before it even hits 30 or 40k cycles...let alone 100k...my 50D only had 25k cycles in 4 years.

Oh my, I'm at nearly 10k after one month (I shoot a lot of fluffy things that move around), I really hope the 6d shutter is sturdier than what the spec indicates, my 100k rated 60d is still fine @150k cycles :-o

Thanks for setting me straight, certainly HDR exposure in that situation would be helped by 1/8000/sec...but I think I could get by without it anyway...perhaps with an ND filter that is weaker (to be able to bracket for the shadows as well...or else remove it).  I don't do much HDR, and none directly into sun that is not shrouded by cloud...if that is what you're referring to.  Those images have a trite look to them, to me.  And clear skies can be boring.

10k in one month is kind of high.  You sure you've only had the 6D for a month?  Could have sworn you were talking about your 6D like back in June or whenever it was.  You should use more than one body (or perhaps you already do have more than one 6D).  10k on the 6D in a month, which only fires at 4.5 fps...you're working it a lot aren't you?  What are you shooting?

Are you implying you honestly think the 6D's shutter could be less robust than the 60D's?  (Since it is apparently exceeding its rated life for you already?)  I guess it's possible that it could be of lesser quality than the 60D's, time will tell.  I would bet big that it is not lesser quality, or less durable.  Still, I won't be keeping mine to 100k cycles.  Perhaps 50k if I go really nuts, but not more than that...assuming I don't lose track of the count before then.

pensive tomato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »

I'm curious about what you're describing here. I have my 6D set to 1/3-stop increments. Shooting in M with a speedlite, I can adjust my shutter speed and aperture in thirds up to 1/180 s (of course, no HSS involved). So it goes from 1/160-s to 1/180-s, in a 1/6-stop increment, but otherwise it's 1/3 of a stop, as in from 1/125-s to 1/160-s. I use E-TTL, and I can also keep doing 1/3-stop FEC adjustments without a problem.

Am I missing your point here? Basically I don't understand what you mean about being forced to work on 1/2 increments (which I agree it's limiting).

I'm not commenting on the shelf life of the 6D. For my use as a hobbyist, I hope that I'll be replacing the camera before it dies. I'm honestly curious to know what is the limitation you're pointing out.
6D | M | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 22 f/2 STM | 600EX-RT (x2) | MT-24 EX | 270 EX II | ST-E3-RT

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
Am I missing your point here?

No, you're not missing my point here, but I have always set my speedlite to HSS - and then 1/180s is not available with C.Fn I-1 set to 1/3ev ... *but* you're correct, if you set the speedlite to non-HSS or 2nd curtain the camera indeed goes 1/160s -> 1/180s, I admit I never noticed this.

Unfortunately this means to go from 1/180s to a higher shutter speed you not only have to dial, but have to press the sync button on the speedlite ... but still better than switching the C.Fn I guess :-o so thanks for the hint!

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »

I'm curious about what you're describing here. I have my 6D set to 1/3-stop increments. Shooting in M with a speedlite, I can adjust my shutter speed and aperture in thirds up to 1/180 s (of course, no HSS involved). So it goes from 1/160-s to 1/180-s, in a 1/6-stop increment, but otherwise it's 1/3 of a stop, as in from 1/125-s to 1/160-s. I use E-TTL, and I can also keep doing 1/3-stop FEC adjustments without a problem.

Am I missing your point here? Basically I don't understand what you mean about being forced to work on 1/2 increments (which I agree it's limiting).

I'm not commenting on the shelf life of the 6D. For my use as a hobbyist, I hope that I'll be replacing the camera before it dies. I'm honestly curious to know what is the limitation you're pointing out.

Thanks for pointing this out.  Which speedlite do you use?  I would like to buy a cheap one that can still do everything.  Do you have thoughts on the Yongnuo 568?

pensive tomato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »
Which speedlite do you use?  I would like to buy a cheap one that can still do everything.  Do you have thoughts on the Yongnuo 568?

I use the Canon RT system which works great and it's very flexible. One limitation is the cost, although rebates and refurbished units can make them easier on the wallet. There are cheaper options (the Yongnuo units included), but I don't have experience with them. Plenty of people around here at CR can give you feedback about their reliability and features.
6D | M | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 22 f/2 STM | 600EX-RT (x2) | MT-24 EX | 270 EX II | ST-E3-RT

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2013, 07:32:52 PM »
Which speedlite do you use?  I would like to buy a cheap one that can still do everything.  Do you have thoughts on the Yongnuo 568?

I use the Canon RT system which works great and it's very flexible. One limitation is the cost, although rebates and refurbished units can make them easier on the wallet. There are cheaper options (the Yongnuo units included), but I don't have experience with them. Plenty of people around here at CR can give you feedback about their reliability and features.

I've read some of it, and thank you for getting back to me.  I can always borrow a Canon 580 from my cousin, but would be nice to have my own.