November 27, 2014, 12:40:34 AM

Author Topic: Moderators: You are Too Sensitive  (Read 10128 times)

agierke

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Moderators: You are Too Sensitive
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 01:47:13 AM »
that was a horribly useless thread and if it ended the way that was described then should have been deleted. the OP should get a very stern warning if not a ban.

take that garbage to another forum. its not appropriate to a gear forum such as this.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 01:47:13 AM »

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 01:59:20 AM »
Well, I still think an Eos-5D MarkIII would have been the better choice..................
+1

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 03:01:40 AM »
Well, I still think an Eos-5D MarkIII would have been the better choice..................

ROTFL
HA! HA! HA!

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 03:09:19 AM »

Moderators: Grow up please!!!

Totally Disagree...they don't have to grow up. They are in fact behaving AS grown ups in removing the posts.

Just because you have a thick skin doesn't mean others should be forced to endure racist rants...

What is acceptable is determined by those who feel offended...not by those who dish it out or stand on the sidelines and snigger or support such posts under whatever guise.

History is replete with bullies and racist- and sexist-intimidators who suggest "grow up please, it is just a joke".

Recognize hate when you see it. Call out people by name when you see it. It is the only way to stop hate from being pawned off as being a joke!

Hate doesn't require "growing up" ...it requires stamping out!
+10 ^ 10 ^ 10 ^ 10 ^ 10...

I think all those in favor of not deleting that thread should consider if say 49% of the threads on this site were like that, would you be visiting the site? Would you tolerate such rants in your own house? I think not. Freedom of speech comes with responsibility. Responsibility was not demonstrated by the OP of that thread. My opinion is that thread should have been killed earlier.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 03:30:37 AM »
I'd like to comment that I read the purple thread but didn't write anything because the op really seemed disturbed (though of course I cannot tell from just reading some outbursts). But towards the end it got more calmed down and had an interesting topic - how important is camera gear in comparison to other real world issues?

I found some thoughts on this valuable, esp. since I recently spend the money originally reserved for top 5d3+24-70ii gear for other, but more important real world purposes, so I'll end up with a 6d+24-70vc ... but I'm happy with my decision.

Could not agree more, the karma thingy was removed as well due to thin skin of some.

As far as I remember karma was removed because there was some abuse and, imho more importantly, it just didn't work - people confused "agree/disagree" to a particular post with an overall rating of a poster, so being critical esp. towards Canon products drove your karma into the ground which I find unfortunate for matter of fact discussions.

It ended with the racist rant. Most countries have laws about that.... to allow it to remain, particularly after the moderator was made aware, is to invite legal action against CanonRumors.

Well, I didn't read the post, but there's always freedom of speech that has to be weighted against opinions (idiotic as they may be), to remove a racist post is probably more good taste and common political sense then preventing a lawsuit.

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 03:34:50 AM »

Moderators: Grow up please!!!

Totally Disagree...they don't have to grow up. They are in fact behaving AS grown ups in removing the posts.

Just because you have a thick skin doesn't mean others should be forced to endure racist rants...

What is acceptable is determined by those who feel offended...not by those who dish it out or stand on the sidelines and snigger or support such posts under whatever guise.

History is replete with bullies and racist- and sexist-intimidators who suggest "grow up please, it is just a joke".

Recognize hate when you see it. Call out people by name when you see it. It is the only way to stop hate from being pawned off as being a joke!

Hate doesn't require "growing up" ...it requires stamping out!

+1 ... Exactly what I feel
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 03:40:50 AM »
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=1442.0

See rule 5 -

"5.  Politics - This is a subject that many have strong feelings about, and is sure to start a flame war.  Political threads disguised a photography discussion will be removed."
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 03:40:50 AM »

35mm Film

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 03:51:50 AM »
On the topic of ethical behaviour my Philosophy Tutor at University said if you have to think about what you are about to communicate, then ask yourself would I direct it to people I love and respect.

What I have found with photography in this day and age is that digital photography is easily accessible to people who have massive egos and very little skill. The same people don’t understand that photography is about people and if you’re not taking pics of people your sharing your images with people. No offence intended.

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 09:00:30 AM »
if say 49% of the threads on this site were like that, would you be visiting the site?
This. I visited that thread several times to see if some redeeming information had shown up or if someone with more than half a brain had put some sense into the OP - being disappointed each time. Not a big surprise, since the whole thread was based on lies.

Thankfully, I missed the racist rant but in general: I visit this forum to become a better photographer - not to be subjected to the "the internet is a big free-for-all, get lost if you don't like me" movement. And that is not even considering that such behaviour is not just brutally offensive, but also inherently contradictory.

Anyhoo - moderators, thank you. I too had expected this to happen earlier, but it sure is the right course of action.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:11:19 AM by Rat »
Fed up with brandism.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 10:21:18 AM »
I missed the racist post that everyone is talking about so do not know how bad it was.

But the rest seemed fine for a forum to me. If we cant take simple discussion like that then we would have tough time discussing concepts or results with clients. :)

I kind of believe in free speech.

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 10:32:16 AM »
I think everybody here does that, but all freedoms can be abused. Read e.g. "The boy who cried wolf".
Fed up with brandism.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »

Me too, but since CR & other channels are run by private individuals or enterprises with a business interest you are free to speak up to your pets and family in the comfort of your own home or write a sign and stand next to the freeway :->

Having said that, I never saw anything removed on CR that I'd consider to be censorship or over the top, and narrowing down the theme to photography does make sense. My only potential issue is the exclusion of politics, since it's very fuzzy what is political and what not, but I think the mods have good common sense here and mostly remove dumb party politics or comments on international warfare (declared or undeclared).

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »
Well, if it's turning into a poll- although I believe in free speech- I support the moderators on this one. I've run internet forums, Compuserve forums and even a fidonet BBS back in the early '90s. The value of the entire place diminishes greatly when a free-for-all erupts. People get crazy behind the anonymity of a keyboard and as much as we like to think we're all adults- the conversation often needs to be nudged back in proper directions.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 11:07:41 AM »
I support free speech. I also support the right to kick someone out of my house that I don't like, or tell somebody to shut up if I don't like what they're saying, if they're in my home. The same should go for websites. Moderators have the right to moderate on a site, for whatever reason. It's their website, not yours. They have the right to allow or disallow any information they want. Someone said that moderators are required by law to remove posts. No they're not. Maybe in Iran or North Korea. Not in the free world.
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »
We remove very few threads, however, this is not a free for all.  In this case, We had a little more info than was apparent to many readers.  It was not about the many worthwhile posts, but the OP, and when he went, so did his posts and threads he started. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »