July 22, 2014, 05:49:04 AM

Author Topic: An open letter to Canon regarding the Canon RT system  (Read 5953 times)

davidbellissima

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photographer in London
Re: An open letter to Canon regarding the Canon RT system
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »
Given that the situation is as it is, would you reccomend the phottix odin, or the pocket wizard plus III? Do they pretty much have the same capabilities (apart from phottix is sender, and separate receivers, and the pw is transeiver). The price of the pw is just a tad more than the phottix, but I have the impression that most people in here have gone with the pw...

Phottix Odin are totally different to the PW Plus III. Way more control capability on the Phottix Odin. Some key features where the Phottix Odin shines is the ability to remotely set the power of the flashguns (in manual and TTL), zoom their heads, set second curtain sync. The Odins are very, very good and ultra reliable.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »
Given that the situation is as it is, would you reccomend the phottix odin, or the pocket wizard plus III? Do they pretty much have the same capabilities (apart from phottix is sender, and separate receivers, and the pw is transeiver). The price of the pw is just a tad more than the phottix, but I have the impression that most people in here have gone with the pw...

Phottix Odin are totally different to the PW Plus III. Way more control capability on the Phottix Odin. Some key features where the Phottix Odin shines is the ability to remotely set the power of the flashguns (in manual and TTL), zoom their heads, set second curtain sync. The Odins are very, very good and ultra reliable.

Ok, thanks :)
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 10:40:54 AM »
I would extend the letter to Canon.

They really need to
1. add second curtain sync to radio wireless [and optical wireless too]
2. add zoom head control over radio wireless
3. finally introduce cost-effective RT-receivers that allow full integration of 580EX II and 430EX II into a radio wireless setup
4. quickly introduce 440EX-RT, reasonably priced! 
5. introduce an improved ST-E3 RT Mk. II with laser-diode AF assist
6. build RT-master commander into all pro and semi-pro cameras [7D II, 5D IV, 1D-whatever, the one after 1D-x]

I will start buying RT-gear, once items 1-3 are provided.

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 11:00:17 AM »
I would extend the letter to Canon.

They really need to
3. finally introduce cost-effective RT-receivers that allow full integration of 580EX II and 430EX II into a radio wireless setup
6. build RT-master commander into all pro and semi-pro cameras [7D II, 5D IV, 1D-whatever, the one after 1D-x]

I will start buying RT-gear, once items 1-3 are provided.

Canon has never had 2nd curtain synch on any system. The only feasible way to add it would be via option3. Zoom via RT would be nice. The RT system was JUST introduced this year. I would not be shocked if canon has something to hook older systems in the works. Cost effective? Who knows.

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »
Honestly though, we have wireless flashes. Good ones too (I have six 600EX-RT's) so I think you're nit picking in an extreme way...good to comment but write an open letter to Canon...c'mon?

A good point for a pressing open letter would be to ask Canon how they can consider the 600rt flashes a *system* with just two parts available, no in-camera rt control, no 430ex2 successor, no receivers for legacy speedlites or studio flashes... and a st-e3 unit w/o focus assist beam.

This is the biggest one for me, lack of the focus assist on the ST-E3.  That would have come in handy this weekend.  Work around:  Carry a small LED flashlight $8, Buy another 600EX $599.  It is my understanding that Canon recommends the latter.

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 11:53:14 AM »
Honestly though, we have wireless flashes. Good ones too (I have six 600EX-RT's) so I think you're nit picking in an extreme way...good to comment but write an open letter to Canon...c'mon?

A good point for a pressing open letter would be to ask Canon how they can consider the 600rt flashes a *system* with just two parts available, no in-camera rt control, no 430ex2 successor, no receivers for legacy speedlites or studio flashes... and a st-e3 unit w/o focus assist beam.

This is the biggest one for me, lack of the focus assist on the ST-E3.  That would have come in handy this weekend.  Work around:  Carry a small LED flashlight $8, Buy another 600EX $599.  It is my understanding that Canon recommends the latter.

After reading about the Focus assist (I was about to buy one) I just said screw it. I honestly don't understand why Canon did that when the ST2 had it. Either way Ill be buying a 3rd 600 soon. Love the LED Flashlight Idea...

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 12:00:01 PM »
I honestly don't understand why Canon did that when the ST2 had it. Either way Ill be buying a 3rd 600 soon.

There's your answer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 12:00:01 PM »

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »
I honestly don't understand why Canon did that when the ST2 had it. Either way Ill be buying a 3rd 600 soon.

There's your answer.

Haha true. I honestly do not mind though as a 3rd flash (my poor 580 EX just died...) would be useful now and again.

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 12:15:37 PM »
I am very happy with both my 600-EX-RTs and the ST-E3-RT ... they deliver every single time without fail. I think Canon did a very good job ... Canon did not make any false claims about this product ... it delivers what Canon said it would. 
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »

Btw - that is really conclusive, fell free to post it to the official Canon forum & post the link here ... but since Canon probably already thought of all the above it won't have any immediate effect.

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »

In hindsight, Canon's rt system probably isn't designed for large studio setups, but as a more reliable version of the old optical system plus the "group flash" feature to quickly set up some flash lighting on the road as an added incentive.
[/quote

I consider it quite handy for large setups - more groups and autoflash to uncouple strobes within a group. The  latter making it easier to get even illumination from ex. ambient lights.
Also the lack of a zoom function is reduced to a side note once you introduce any kind of light shaping.

Not having to fall back to PWs for motion studies would be convenient, though.

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 07:17:30 PM »
On remote zoom, do people really use that? Since the lights are usually statically set up you just set the zoom as you're setting up then forget it. And at that you probably don't need much control. Since I"m using an umbrella or softbox I just put it on a wide setting, if I remember at all.

On 2nd curtain, yeah too bad, but seriously how often do you use that? How often with remote flashes? I haven't used it yet, if I really wanted it for remote I'd use a long cord, and not write an 'open letter' to Canon.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »
On 2nd curtain, yeah too bad, but seriously how often do you use that?

Far too seldom as I recently discovered, I'll change that in the future.

How often with remote flashes?

Never, Canon doesn't support it :-o ... but for posed action photography this is a drawback.

if I really wanted it for remote I'd use a long cord

Well,  your assistant could bring an ettl cable drum for one flash, but the idea is to use multiple flashes...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »
as matter of fact, I would prefer 2nd curtain sync as default setting. There are far less situations where 1st curtain sync is really required. Almost all the time, 2nd curtain sync woul do the job. :-)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 02:59:36 PM »
as matter of fact, I would prefer 2nd curtain sync as default setting. There are far less situations where 1st curtain sync is really required. Almost all the time, 2nd curtain sync woul do the job. :-)

I expect the reason first curtain sync is the default is to avoid the issues of second curtain sync when photographing (still) people.  If ambient light is low (as it often is when needing flash), shutter speeds are longer, and there's a noticeable lag between the E-TTL preflash and the second-curtain flash - that often results in people blinking during the flash exposure, and a few people with closed eyes in a group photo.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 02:59:36 PM »