October 24, 2014, 12:33:46 PM

Author Topic: future of sigma art line  (Read 11045 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: future of sigma art line
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 07:19:51 PM »
Personally I can't wait for their 85mm f/1.4 art line lens (assuming they will actually make one).  If it's as good as the 35mm, it could be an awesome alternative to the 85mm f/1.2L.

Isn't the current Sigma 85/1.4 already an awesome alternative to the 85L?

According to DxO, the Sigma 85/1.4 scores higher than any Canon lens.  I haven't tried the lens, but I have to wonder how that is possible.

its always a good idea to have a trailer load of salt handy when looking at anything DxO puts out but I chose the sigma ove the canon because AF speed was noticably faster on a 5D body
and the sigma is equally as sharp with the canon being a tad sharper wide open but that gap drops rapidly as you get closer to f2 where there really isnt much in it even when pixel peeping
the canon was also 3x the cost of the sigma a heap heavier but damn its a sexy looking lens
i did send my sigma back to have its AF recalibrated since i had to dial in +13 AFMA which i thought was excessive now its perfect
the sigma 85 has quite a bit of purple fringing at f1.4 (not nearly as much as the canon 1.8 at 1.8 though
but its easily fixed in LR and is pretty much gone by f2

i'm looking forward to my sigma 35 arriving soon from B&H! :D
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 07:19:51 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 10:18:33 PM »
I bought the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 in December. 

It has very little purple fringing, or really any fringing or CA.  It's quite sharp, almost as sharp as the 85 f/1.2 I rented three years ago (probably sharper below f/2, similar to your Sigma...although by f/5.6, the Canon was sharper than a supertele...let alone anything from its focal peer group).  The Rokinon doesn't have the quality of color of the Canon "magic canonball", or my Voigtlander 58mm Nokton...but it's decent.  The Rokinon also doesn't vignette really at all (on my crop camera), wide open at f/1.4...where the Canon vignetted quite horribly below f/2 (again on the same crop camera).  At f/1.2, I would guess the Canon on a full frame camera, would look like a bullseye.  Extreme vignetting...

However, there is no AF on the Rokinon, and you have to set the aperture on the lens...and it doesn't get recorded in exif.  The focus is a bit stiff but very precise.

Not that big of a deal to me, but I do pretty much always focus via live view at 10x.  If I needed it for professional event photography or anything else fast or hyper-paced, then I would probably go with the Sigma 85 (or the Canon 85 f/1.eight), even though I haven't tried them.  I've wanted to rent the Sigma, but I only have so much money to blow...and need to decide which new camera to buy (probably first rent the 6D)...and rent one or two more superteles along the way.

The Rokinon's bokeh seems quite nice to me...a tad smoother than my Voigtlander, but not as smooth as my 135 f/2.  Not remotely as smooth as the Canon 1.2.

The Rokinon cost under $250, new.  I believe it's a chinese copy of some old Nikon aspherical design, but who knows?  (I kind of don't want to know).  I doubt I will keep it forever, but for this price and my needs, it cannot be beat by a $900 or $2200 lens...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:20:38 PM by CarlTN »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 10:38:43 PM »
Here is a 45% crop that is currently on my facebook cover, shot with the Rokinon 85mm mounted to a large format field camera with Fujichrome Velvia 50, handheld while jumping on a trampoline at sunset...(ok I lied it's just from my 5 year old crop camera!)  The camera needs to start kindergarten, it's getting old...but I hate to see it grow up!  ISO 1600, f/1.4, 1/400/sec, handheld, live view focus and framing.  I really can't accurately focus with the viewfinder and this lens, especially for darker scenes at a distance.  The lens can really go almost this sharp when cropped at 100%, but not at ISO 1600, or wide open...maybe by f/3.2 or so, at ISO 800 or below.  Ergonomics and lack of AF are the only problems with this lens.  Those things cost money.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 10:38:43 PM »