October 01, 2014, 02:37:32 AM

Author Topic: Wimberley Head versus Wimberley Sidekick  (Read 1957 times)

BrettS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Wimberley Head versus Wimberley Sidekick
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »
Hey folks

I just picked up a Canon 500mm. I already have Gitzo a Gitzo 3530 tripod with a Markins M10 ballhead that I use mainly with my 180mm Macro.

I'm undecided on the right approach for the head. I'd like to choose either the Wimberley Sidekick, or a Wimberley WH-200 Head. Of course, the disadvantage to the Wimberley Head is that whenever I want to do any Macro work, I'd have to pull the Wimberley head off and pop the Markins back on. From surfing the web, I get the impression that a ballhead is more convenient for smaller lens like the 180 and the 70-200 than the Wimberley Head.

I don't want to get a second tripod, and while I have considered a monopod, I'd like to work with the new tele on a tripod - for a while, at least.

Has anyone here used both a Sidekick and a Wimberley Head? Does anyone have any first-hand experience, suggestions, or thoughts on my choices?

Cheers

canon rumors FORUM

Wimberley Head versus Wimberley Sidekick
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Wimberley Head versus Wimberley Sidekick
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
I'm not a fan of the Sidekick for a 500mm lens.

Is your Gitzo one of the Systematic series?  If so, I'd suggest a RRS leveling base with clamp (TA-3-LC). With a gimbal head, a leveling base is a big help.  The clamp is an Arca-Swiss type, and you would get a TH-DVTL-40 dovetail plate for the base of the Wimberley II and another for the Markins head (or maybe the larger -55 dovetail, not sure).

I use that setup to easily swap my RRS gimbal and BH-55 ballhead.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
I use the WH-200 and it is smooth and supports the lens very well.  I have full trust in it's ability to support my system.  If you have to decide to change heads for macro work, maybe consider another tripod for that.  I use a smaller carbon fiber model with a ball head for macro portrait work.  The Wimberly just stays mounted on my Induro CF.

Hey folks

I just picked up a Canon 500mm. I already have Gitzo a Gitzo 3530 tripod with a Markins M10 ballhead that I use mainly with my 180mm Macro.

I'm undecided on the right approach for the head. I'd like to choose either the Wimberley Sidekick, or a Wimberley WH-200 Head. Of course, the disadvantage to the Wimberley Head is that whenever I want to do any Macro work, I'd have to pull the Wimberley head off and pop the Markins back on. From surfing the web, I get the impression that a ballhead is more convenient for smaller lens like the 180 and the 70-200 than the Wimberley Head.

I don't want to get a second tripod, and while I have considered a monopod, I'd like to work with the new tele on a tripod - for a while, at least.

Has anyone here used both a Sidekick and a Wimberley Head? Does anyone have any first-hand experience, suggestions, or thoughts on my choices?

Cheers

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 05:03:45 PM »
It's actually nothing to unscrew a ball head and screw on the Wimberley head. I do it all the time, including in the field.

b&

BrettS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 10:13:15 AM »
Tremendous input gang, thank you - I value it highly.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »
I want my gear rest on the foot, not the foot hanging from side of a clamp.  I have tried the side kick and always felt very nervous the I would drop my camera/lens while tightening the clamp.

It is pretty easy to switch between ball head and the Wimberley.  Takes a minute or so.

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:45:47 AM »
Never used the Sidekick but got the full Wimberley II a month back. It is awesome!

BTW, I use my good old backup aluminum tripod for Macro work though changing heads is not really that difficult or time consuming.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:45:47 AM »

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 03:37:42 AM »
I have a Gitzo systematic tripod, where I use both the Wimberley II and a ballhead. To make the switch between the two as simple, fast and safe as possible, I bought an extra flat top plate. I believe you can get that for the 3530 also. That way it is almost like switching lenses on the same head.
Eldar
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:14:40 AM »
I want my gear rest on the foot, not the foot hanging from side of a clamp.  I have tried the side kick and always felt very nervous the I would drop my camera/lens while tightening the clamp.

I had that concern initially, as well.  RRS actually recommended their side mount gimbal over the full gimbal, and it works great.  Wimberley has a side mount head, too (different than the Side Kick).  The RRS has a lever release, so it's quick to lock in the 600 II.  I like RRS's side gimbal since it breaks down easily for transport, and also offers lateral positioning flexibility (with the Wimberley Side Mount and Side Kick, big lenses require a low profile replacement foot to balance, and that foot can't be used as a carry handle).  One thing I really like about the side mount (besides the lighter weight) is the open space underneath that I can reach through to access the MF and focus preset rings.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:14:40 AM »