April 19, 2014, 09:18:14 AM

Author Topic: First big job using FF - for all the FF nay-sayers  (Read 7386 times)

LewisShermer

• Rebel T5i
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
First big job using FF - for all the FF nay-sayers
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:46:22 AM »
So this is kind of in response to the nay-sayers of that canon interview where the dude is basically saying the future of canon is FF and everyones going off their tits about the future of 7Dii (or 70D if you're that way inclined)

I shot my first wedding with the paring of a 5Diii and a 5Dii (stepping up from last seasons 7D & 60D paring) and I coud not have had a more pleasurable time doing it. It was crazy just how nice it all worked out. I was originally a little bit anxious about it as the only other job for someone else I'd done with the 5Diii was a studio model shoot so I was out in the field without anything to fall back on.

I don't know if I'm slightly trolling here but just from what I've found this weekend, FF is the way forward... if you do own a 7D and you don't need the FPS then sell it and get a second hand 5Dii. The IQ and ability to frame is an amazing step up. I think I shot 90% of it with the 50mm 1.4 and just used the 24-105 for the group shots.

The colours, the image quality, the depth, the sharpness... I could go on

I wont put the pics on here as I've still to show the bride, but I have processed a couple of shots for testers and have them on my blog wentdownfighting.tumblr.com

I'm not the greatest photog in the world nor was this the most glamourous of weddings but I'm very pleased with the initial results  ;D

I may even flippantly throw in my doubt that photog > equipment even applies any more...
5Diii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

canon rumors FORUM

First big job using FF - for all the FF nay-sayers
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:46:22 AM »

steven kessel

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: First big job using FF - for all the FF nay-sayers
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:03:32 AM »
I very recently made the jump from a 7D to the 5D Mark iii and I couldn't be happier.  It's a fabulous camera.  The autofocus on the mark iii is much superior to that of the 7D especially in low light.  And, the images just seem to be richer.  That said, I still take a lot of pictures with the 7D.  It's the camera I use when I want a bit of extra reach with my long telephotos.

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »
Yep. I have no appetite to shoot Crop again but I do miss the reach sometimes.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

AlanF

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »
Do you really find that the "extra reach" makes a significant difference? My main use is birding and I find that with a sharp 600mm lens the 5D III is just about as good for detail as the 7D (now my back up) and has all the advantages of much better focussing and lower noise. It shows what good value the 7D is but you are not losing out by not having its crop factor.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:32:36 AM »
So this is kind of in response to the nay-sayers of that canon interview where the dude is basically saying the future of canon is FF and everyones going off their tits about the future of 7Dii (or 70D if you're that way inclined)

I shot my first wedding with the paring of a 5Diii and a 5Dii (stepping up from last seasons 7D & 60D paring) and I coud not have had a more pleasurable time doing it. It was crazy just how nice it all worked out. I was originally a little bit anxious about it as the only other job for someone else I'd done with the 5Diii was a studio model shoot so I was out in the field without anything to fall back on.

I don't know if I'm slightly trolling here but just from what I've found this weekend, FF is the way forward... if you do own a 7D and you don't need the FPS then sell it and get a second hand 5Dii. The IQ and ability to frame is an amazing step up. I think I shot 90% of it with the 50mm 1.4 and just used the 24-105 for the group shots.

The colours, the image quality, the depth, the sharpness... I could go on

I wont put the pics on here as I've still to show the bride, but I have processed a couple of shots for testers and have them on my blog wentdownfighting.tumblr.com

I'm not the greatest photog in the world nor was this the most glamourous of weddings but I'm very pleased with the initial results  ;D

I may even flippantly throw in my doubt that photog > equipment even applies any more...

For bird photography, a 5D mk II is pretty hampered... A 5d Mk III would be ok, with a much longer lens than I own... to make a FF camera work for me, I would have to spend more than 12,000 by the time it would all be said and done... So, I still await the 7D MK II!!!
What is truth?

agierke

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »
i owned a cropped body for all of about a month before the 5D came out and when it did i scrambled to get it. i could never get over the crop factor killing the wide angle end of my lenses and hated the idea of getting lenses that couldn't migrate to any body i would get in the future. i'm a full frame fool.

welcome  to the world of FF!
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, sigma 15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 85mm F1.8, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

weixing

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 09:57:49 AM »
Hi,
    I also shoot birds and using the 400mm F5.6L on 60D... can't afford anything longer or better than that, so IMHO, for budget birder, APS-C is still very attractive.

Anyway, I plan to wait till May or June and look at the review of the 5D3 F8 implementation, if it's really good, reliable and AF not slow down by too much, I might change to 5D3... 400mm + 1.4x on 22MP FF DSLR will had very similar reach to 400mm on 18MP APS-C DSLR.

Have a nice day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 09:57:49 AM »

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:02:12 AM »
I'm shooting with my 5DMK III and my 7D.  I really don't find my 5D3 AF any faster than my 7D with it's f/2.8 lenses... Not when I'm shooting outdoors anyway.  I do a lot of BIF and still find myself reaching for my 7d with the 100-400mm before I reach for the 5d3.  In fact, I seem to have more AF issues shooting static outdoors in darker situations with the 5d3 and the 24-105mm f/4.0 than I do with the 7d paired with the 17-55mm f/2.8.

I wanted the 5d3 mainly for portraiture, wedding and landscape work, although I've had no issues with my 7d and landscape work, I have had with portraiture and weddings.  My 7d is consistent with regard to high noise in the shadows in most of the portrait work I do, resulting in considerable time in post to resolve it effectively.  Having numerous requests for evening weddings and then outdoors on top of that has created a very frustrating experience with my 7d and those types of shoots.  The 5d3 is a welcomed change for me regarding those very frustrating low light portrait or wedding shoots.  Coupled with the 85mm it's wonderful, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, it's engaging and much more fun! 

I really love having both cameras.  I've been complaining about my 7d for night or indoor weddings and other events for some time along with the noise issues even in some outdoor portrait work.  The 5d3 is wonderful for that. 

I still tend to reach for my 7d in birding and wildlife.  It seldom misses the mark and on a recent outdoor wildlife shoot with both, the 7d was bringing home the winners over the 5d when the reach was needed, even being able to crop the ff images more.  I find the 6 fps quite different over my 7d's 8fps.  I didn't think I would but it's definitely different.  Not quite as satisfying for me...  When I bought the 5d3, I did so with every intent on selling my 7D, alas it still resides with me and in it's bag with the 5d3 now residing comfortably beside it in the same bag...  I am considering some new teleconverters to use with the 5d3 though, that may be all I need to go FF only...

In the end, I'm looking forward to seeing what Canon does with a 7D MK II.  If it's FF, so be it.  I'm positive it will be awesome whether it's crop or FF.   I've often thought a FF 7D would make a very useful and flexible option to cover many areas of photography, rather than just sports and wildlife... It may be a very well rounded option...   ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:08:44 AM by Krob78 »
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
i owned a cropped body for all of about a month before the 5D came out and when it did i scrambled to get it. i could never get over the crop factor killing the wide angle end of my lenses and hated the idea of getting lenses that couldn't migrate to any body i would get in the future. i'm a full frame fool.

welcome  to the world of FF!
Agierke, I couldn't agree more with this one statement: "hated the idea of getting lenses that couldn't migrate to any body i would get in the future."  That has always bothered me!  Hence I buy mostly EF lenses for my 7D!  Now they work for both!  8)  I haven't had the crop factor "kill" any of my wide angle work though...
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »
I own and use both a 7D and 5D3, which replaced a 5D/40D pairing. One thing that needs to be said is that, yes, the 5D3 focusing is better that the 7D's but the 7D focusing is by no means bad. When shooting race cars in daylight, the 7D with a  70-200, a 100-400 or a 300 f/2.8 with or without TCs still works just fine.

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »
FF is great, the 5diii in my opinion is the best FF all around camera ever made, i own one and think it's a pleasure to use. That being said aps c has its place, and offers a compelling advantage in total system cost when paired with equally good Efs lenses. Someone mentioned a 600mm lens on ff, for a lot of folks sinking $13k in a lens is a bit steep, and yet with aps c you can get to 600 with the relatively affordable 100-400. Sure it may not be the "same", but for anyone who is somewhat price conscious that is going to be a consideration. If I was still an aps c shooter I would certainly be concerned canon may abandon the high end aps c model especially if I didn't feel the advantages of FF were worth the trade off in higher cost.

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
FF is great, the 5diii in my opinion is the best FF all around camera ever made, i own one and think it's a pleasure to use. That being said aps c has its place, and offers a compelling advantage in total system cost when paired with equally good Efs lenses. Someone mentioned a 600mm lens on ff, for a lot of folks sinking $13k in a lens is a bit steep, and yet with aps c you can get to 600 with the relatively affordable 100-400. Sure it may not be the "same", but for anyone who is somewhat price conscious that is going to be a consideration. If I was still an aps c shooter I would certainly be concerned canon may abandon the high end aps c model especially if I didn't feel the advantages of FF were worth the trade off in higher cost.
+1  ;)
Ken

CanNotYet

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 11:04:24 AM »
...if you do own a 7D and you don't need the FPS then sell it and get a second hand 5Dii.
But what if you do? Or need good/fast AF? Or if you are somewhat weak (sick, old...) and want a smaller setup? Or if you are into birding/wildlife/telephoto? And, most importantly, if you are low on funds?
I would not even go there :)

Seriously though. FF is great. I have tried the 5D and like you say, the "depth" is what makes it stand out from the APS-C pictures. I do not see any conflict between APS-C and FF. It is like debating if a Humvee is better than a BMW. For what?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 11:04:24 AM »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »
There is no going back after you go FF. :) FF is indeed the future.

-Rant- And there is no such thing as a FF nay-sayer. Some people think they prefer crop cameras over FF, but they just don't realize that their dinky toy sensors is utter crap in comparison to FF. I know this because I used to be one of them. ;) .. Oh, those lost years.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:39:34 AM by Ricku »

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »

FF is great, the 5diii in my opinion is the best FF all around camera ever made

Oh it isn't the 1DX? :o :o :o

While more and more people keep talking about the extra reach ... do you guys print like ... super large? Otherwise, the crop magnification is a myth and the cropped 5D3 pics will better or at least equivalent to the APS-C.

Personally, I sold off my 7D because it was hardly getting used once I picked up the 5D3. Don't think I'll get the itch to shoot APS-C again - That said, I would buy an APS-H camera with the 5D3 AF in a heartbeat, if it were to be released in the future.
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »