August 01, 2014, 08:12:34 AM

Author Topic: First big job using FF - for all the FF nay-sayers  (Read 8041 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: First big job using FF - for all the FF nay-sayers
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
Is there such a thing as FF nay-sayers? I really doubt it.  I think there are FF owners and those who would like to be be FF owners. And the 7D? I used to own one before - its low light performance was really discouraging. I hate to be blunt but the 7d (and the rest of canons line crop line up) sucks and any kind of low light. And those who say they like the 'reach' of the crop sensor cameras, reminds me of the day when people thought that Digital zoom was useful!

I'm going with you on this one.  However, at ISO 640 and lower, the 7D is very capable.  You can ETTR at ISO 3200 and manage it in RAW format in Lightroom or Camera RAW.  But again, it's nothing like the 5D2, 5D3, 1D4, or 1DX.  But it isn't supposed to be.  As an aside, I do briefly miss the 7D on my 400 f/2.8.  Man that was a monster 640mm equivalent!

I did end up getting rid of it though.  I sold all at once my 7D, 5D2, 1D4, and 1Ds3 for the cameras I own today.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »
Is there such a thing as FF nay-sayers? I really doubt it.  I think there are FF owners and those who would like to be be FF owners. And the 7D? I used to own one before - its low light performance was really discouraging. I hate to be blunt but the 7d (and the rest of canons line crop line up) sucks and any kind of low light. And those who say they like the 'reach' of the crop sensor cameras, reminds me of the day when people thought that Digital zoom was useful!

Ahem.
Practically it all comes down to whether your uses require more reach than your glass can give you.

If you crop an image shot on full frame you are using "digital zoom". If instead you switch to a good crop sensor, you can get much more detail on the subject.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »