Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Stills

New MFA method

(1/23) > >>

digital paradise:
Looks pretty good as it uses LV which is accurate and consistent as the base.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247/0

J.R.:

--- Quote from: digital paradise on February 04, 2013, 12:01:36 PM ---Looks pretty good as it uses LV which is accurate and consistent as the base.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247/0

--- End quote ---

Interesting ... worth a try probably, not too much time involved in the steps

helpful:
Pure genius.

This is something so simple that even the camera manufacturers should be able to program it into their firmware.

Now wouldn't that be nice... just point the camera at a target at the distance where you wanted AF fine tune to be optimized, and press a button which would do this procedure instantly and electronically. You could even re-tune your cameras for a new distance (i.e., when shooting from the back row vs. front row) in real time on the job.

I'm definitely trying it. Why didn't we think of this before? It's so obvious.

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: helpful on February 04, 2013, 01:43:54 PM ---Now wouldn't that be nice... just point the camera at a target at the distance where you wanted AF fine tune to be optimized, and press a button which would do this procedure instantly and electronically. You could even re-tune your cameras for a new distance (i.e., when shooting from the back row vs. front row) in real time on the job.

I'm definitely trying it. Why didn't we think of this before? It's so obvious.

--- End quote ---

Something similar has been suggested:

In theory, it should be possible to achieve an ‘accurate’ focus using contrast detection in Live View, where no alignment is needed because the image sensor is used to determine best focus, then compare that to the phase detection AF and correct accordingly. In practice, this is something that’s difficult to do (because the act of moving the focus ring to see if you were really optimally focused changes the focus, and you lose the ‘zero point’). However, this is an idea that Canon could implement as a semi-automated routine, i.e. set up and align target (Canon could sell one, and suitably overcharge for it as they do for other small pieces of plastic *cough*), then the camera automatically determines the optimal adjustment. File that one under ‘gee, wouldn’t it be nice…’

Using AF Confirmation for manual focus to avoid having to move the focus ring is a nice solution!

Dylan777:
Interesting...thanks for sharing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version