Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

new 13" MacBook Pro

(1/3) > >>

hawaiisunsetphoto:
Aloha!  I'd welcome some advice....   I'm advising a friend, an amateur photographer with talent and potential, on what kind of computer setup that would be sufficient for photo editing.  Budget is a factor.  They are considering a new 13" MacBook Pro for about $1425 with these specs:  2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, 8GB 1600MHz memory, 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive, Intel HD Graphics 4000. 

Given the limited screen real estate of a 13" MacBook, I've advised them that they will need an external monitor if they go that route. 

My question is:  Is the video graphics capacity in this MacBook Pro sufficient for LR and PS photo editing?

Thanks!

hawaiisunsetphoto:
I've also recommended that they consider a 17" HP laptop, similarly speced, with dedicated 2GB video card, for $250 less... and buy an ipad -- instead of purchasing the 13" MacBook Pro.

RLPhoto:
For serious editing, I'd never use a laptop. too expensive, outdated too quickly, Run too hot, screens too small, too slow.

Desktops are far more powerful for less $$$ and could be built to any spec needed, upgraded, run cool, and can have large screens.

hawaiisunsetphoto:

--- Quote from: RLPhoto on February 04, 2013, 04:06:36 PM ---For serious editing, I'd never use a laptop. too expensive, outdated too quickly, Run too hot, screens too small, too slow.

Desktops are far more powerful for less $$$ and could be built to any spec needed, upgraded, run cool, and can have large screens.

--- End quote ---

I hear you...  I have a dual setup with a 17" HP workstation laptop, plus an HP desktop with i7, 24GB RAM, 2x2TB hard drives, blue ray DVD writers, that I picked up from HP refurbished for about $1100....  Plus a 30" NEC monitor....   But I think she wants the portability.  I've also suggested looking for used 17" MacBook Pros, which may be an option....  Or a nice external monitor like a 24" NEC or Dell.....

Niterider:

--- Quote from: hawaiisunsetphoto on February 04, 2013, 03:12:35 PM ---Aloha!  I'd welcome some advice....   I'm advising a friend, an amateur photographer with talent and potential, on what kind of computer setup that would be sufficient for photo editing.  Budget is a factor.  They are considering a new 13" MacBook Pro for about $1425 with these specs:  2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, 8GB 1600MHz memory, 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive, Intel HD Graphics 4000...

--- End quote ---

The 5400 rpm hard drive will bottleneck the whole computer. If you do go with a macbook pro, a minimum would be a 7200 rpm drive. Ideally, you would want a 256gb (or larger) solid state drive. They work wonders in laptops. If I remember correctly, the new macbook pros are sealed systems (correct me if I am wrong) which means you have to pay apple to change out the drive. And that sucks because they charge A LOT for those drives

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version