November 24, 2014, 04:48:35 AM

Author Topic: African Safari Lens Help  (Read 4479 times)

Hozik

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: African Safari Lens Help
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »
I would not sweat it too much, you have way too much camera gear. Being ready to shoot at moment's notice is way more important than worrying about which lens you got on your body. I was just in S.A for 3 Safaris and had my 5D mk I with the 70-200mm F4 IS and 40D with 300mm IS 5.6. ->Used 90% of time in that config. I also brought the 1.4x extender but it was too dusty to open up the camera so never used it. I also brought the 17-40 with me  for landscape, but used it very seldom (mostly at camp and while doing guided hikes). We swapped the bodies with my wife while in the Rover. She also had her S95 for video and as a backup to the two bodies or if animals got right beside the Rover. If you are doing any hiking Safaris I would suggest your longest lens mounted on your 7D and a teleconverter and your next longest on your 5D as you will not get as close as in a Rover. I would suggest to tip the guides generously to get you to the action. Remember to enjoy it. We are already planning to come back soon.
6D, 17-40, 24-105, Sigma 35 F1.4, Canon 40, Canon 85 F1.8, 70-200 F4 IS, EX580 II, Canon 1.4x EF II, Canon S110 w underwater housing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 01:10:10 PM »
Both bodies, the 300 and the 70-200, which will stay on most of the time, except for when you want to go ultrawide to get scenic landscapes. And yes, dust will be a problem so change lenses as least as possible!

tapanit

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 03:08:25 PM »
Sounds like a good plan. Given that there're two of you, I'd consider getting an extra body

If you haven't noticed, he is already carrying 2 bodies, 7D and 5D3.
Yes. For two people. I think two people would need four bodies.

+tof

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 05:53:46 AM »
Please take as few big lenses, as you can.  I think 100-400 with 7D for long distance will be enough.
Take 24-105 because it is all around lens for 5DIII, and 17-55 because of the same for 7D.
Remember 24-105 with 7d is  24x1.6=38.4 - 106x1.6=168 !
If one of them, camera or lens brokes, you can always have got the replacement.
At 19 or later it is getting dark. Your Sigma 35 1.4 lens will be perfect. It is a small lens, and not heavy.
Do not show you have got expensive camera, or big lens, when its dark, even on the main street.
Take your G15, it will be good for you, at those places. Try to take pictures without flash. With the flash you alert all people around.
Take extender 1.4x, just not for using it, but only if something wrong happens, and you have to combine it with 100-400 and 5DIII.
640mm (400 mm x 1.6) in your 7D is just the limit for hand-shooting i think.
On safari, If it seems to you, it is too far, do not take pictures. Ask the driver go closer. Tips can work miracles.
Your driver is worth 2 or 3 your big and expensive lenses.
Do not take any tripod. You can not use it in a car because of the crowd inside. Monopod sometimes can be usefull. But bean bag, or fleece sweatshirt in a shape of a ball will be much much better. In a car allways keep your camera straps on your neck, just not to lose your camera. Change lenses only when seating. Just to protect your lens falling out of the car. Much better is not to change lenses at all. Only in a hotel room. After day or two you will have the sand everywhere, in a pockets, in your bag, in your socs, pants, ears and eyes. The bag for the camera is important, but I have never found good enough for me. So I prefer the cheap ones and unobtrusive.
Take some plastic bags to wrap and protect your gear. There are storms in the middle of summer and you can have all your things get wet in your bag.
Take additional batteries for the camera, allways keep them fully charged (power failures). Small led torch will be usefull.
And the absolutely must have: binoculars. Animals generally are far far away, first you have to find them, reach them and then take pictures.
Do anything under the sun to see wildbeast crossing Mara river! Give up on baloon ride. It is expensive, boring and for old ladies, I think.
Too bad you do not take wide-angle lens. It is perfect for landscapes in Africa, but maybe your lenses will be enough.
I think one big lens is enough. Really. One man is taking pictures, the second one helps him by watching with binoculars. When the photographer will be bored and tired swap your gear.

summary: binoculars!,
5DIII, 7D, G15, batteries,
Sigma 35 1.4,
17-55
24-105
100-400

Have a good time.

and sorry for my english (not good enough)

amazin

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33:24 AM »
Hi,

i'm just back from 2 weeks in Namibia last month.

Here is what  i had :

5d mk3
24-70 2.8l ii
70-200 2.8l is ii
extender 2x iii

all fitted in a lowepro flipside 200 aw, which was pretty convenient to carry.

as you have 2 bodies, i'd say longer lenses on the 7d and wide ones on the 5d mk 3.

imho no need to have many lenses. just pick one carefully for each body and stick to it.
try to find a bag where you can put them both with the lenses already fitted to the bodies (it will save you time to clean).

consider a wide range tele like the 100-400 with maybe a teleconverter. it might be a more versatile option over have multiple lenses.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:00:43 AM by amazin »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33:24 AM »