July 29, 2014, 01:24:56 PM

Author Topic: Cost of Canon 5D mk III  (Read 9639 times)

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of Canon 5D mk III
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »
Buy the 5d mark iii with the lens 24-105 from Amazon,...then sell the lens on Craiglist for,.... 750 or 800 and your body will be 2500.
The lens is crap for me but it generates money fast,.... cause a lot of people love it.
For me the f4 stop, strong purple hazing and pronounced distortion make it impossible to like.
Any person which is not dead center of picture, has egg shaped head,...i feel like a cannibal....want to eat them.

Good luck.

I was with you till you went off on the 24-105L tangent. :) May be you have a bad copy or you just don't happen to like it....which happens. It is a well loved lens for a reason. I love mine.

But I think the suggestion to sell it if you don't like it is a good one.

Except, many of us simply may not have the disipline it takes to get rid of lenses once bought...in my case the only exceptions have been a couple of expensive lenses where inaction was not an option. There are old lenses that still linger in my collection.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »
Nobody cares whether or not you buy the 5DIII.
Why are you whining on this forum instead of buying the Nikon that you say is a better camera for less money?

Now, now...that is a bit harsh...he is just vocalizing what many hard core Canonites will agree...the initial MSRP is high... as it often is. It has little to do with his Nikon comments.

dave

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
No these answers do not say the truth about the overprice of this camera.  The competition is doing much better now than when these cameras were release, damn you can get two nikon D600 for the same price of that camera

You can spend twice as much time cleaning sensors then.

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »
Why are you whining on this forum instead of buying the Nikon that you say is a better camera for less money?

+1000 Harsh, hardly. Tired of hearing all the whinning about the cost of equipment... If you can't afford one are you going to die?!?! I want a Ferrari for 20K...boooo hohoohhhhooo.

5D3 is hardly a Ferrari...and owning a 5D3 does not make anyone superior... it is a midrange camera at best. Lets not use it as a status symbol...because it is not. When you own a few Hassys or the multiple supertele's or even the lowly 1DX let us throw that proverbial stone. :)

Let's give the guy a break...he is just venting. Show him when and where the deals exist...cuz they do.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:15:00 PM by Ray2021 »

crasher8

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 09:19:08 PM »
How many dslrs does Canon have in the lineup as of today?  With the 5D3 coming in at the 2nd from the top, how is that midrange? Oh you mean when compared to MF's costing 5-8x as much? Please look up apples to oranges and try again please.

dave

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 09:27:47 PM »

+1000 Harsh, hardly. Tired of hearing all the whinning about the cost of equipment... If you can't afford one are you going to die?!?! I want a Ferrari for 20K...boooo hohoohhhhooo.

5D3 is hardly a Ferrari...and owning a 5D3 does not make anyone superior... it is a midrange camera at best. Lets not use it as a status symbol...because it is not. When you own a few Hassys or the multiple supertele's or even the lowly 1DX let us throw that proverbial stone. :)

Let's give the guy a break...he is just venting. Show him when and where the deals exist...cuz they do.

I don't really follow the status symbol thing. Each sensible person balances needs and cost and each sensible company tries to read the market. If you buy a camera because of what other people will think...I dunno, it makes no sense. and I don't think that is what chilled xpress was alluding to, simply that just because you want something doesn't mean the manufacturer has a responsbility to price it for you. I want a trip to the moon on a spaceship with a giant pretzel and lapdance thrown in... for $100. What, no dice? Shame on you, nasty, elitist Richard Branson.

However, my issue is that first post the OP complains about the price of the 5D3 then goes on to cite the competition doing better. He/she has the option to buy the competition cameras but chooses not to, instead apparently opting for the 6D.

Given that the OP clearly would prefer a Canon (presumably because he/she believes it would better suit his/her needs - otherwise, why?), that must mean they value the Canon's quality and feature set more. Why slag canon off for charging for what you believe is a better camera? As others have pointed out the 5D3 has been widely available for less than $3000USD. That's not much more than the Nikon.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:34:28 PM by dave »

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 09:29:24 PM »
How many dslrs does Canon have in the lineup as of today?  With the 5D3 coming in at the 2nd from the top, how is that midrange? Oh you mean when compared to MF's costing 5-8x as much? Please look up apples to oranges and try again please.

Flagship is 1DX...5D3 currently costs about ~half of the MSRP... but if it makes you feel good. Please make a bumper sticker :)

P.S. One of the bodies I own is a 5D3 and love it. But I am just calling attention to this lording over those who can't afford the 5D3 at MSRP.

The OP has a point. It is priced officially higher because it can be had for much lower from time to time. Why is this an issue?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 09:29:24 PM »

crasher8

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 09:34:44 PM »
Well I do get the 'Lording' thing. I attend a late 19th Century Process class and there are two 5d3 owners there who fawn and carry on incessantly about their purchases, (They have no idea I have one as well) yet these two pawns of the credit card industry have no sense of art, craft or vision. Too many keyboard and mouse clicks making photographers these days instead of time behind the lens.

dave

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »

Flagship is 1DX...5D3 currently costs about ~half of the MSRP... but if it makes you feel good. Please make a bumper sticker :)

P.S. One of the bodies I own is a 5D3 and love it. But I am just calling attention to this lording over those who can't afford the 5D3 at MSRP.

The OP has a point. It is priced officially higher because it can be had for much lower from time to time. Why is this an issue?

The OP didn't actually focus on the MSRP - instead suggesting it should be $2500 tops.

robbinzo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »
I recently tried out the 5D III and I can honestly say that it is worth the price premium over the 6D.
The autofocus of the 5D III is simply awesome and I would buy one just on that basis alone.
You have to try the cameras, not just look at reviews on the interweb.
I have other more important things that I need to squander my money on first but I will definitely buy myself one as soon as possible.
70D, 10-22mm EFS, 17-40mm L, 15-85mm EFS, 100L macro, 50mm f/1.4

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 10:21:28 PM »
So glad I got mine when I did.   I bought it late last year from Amazon when the price dropped below $3000.00.  I felt like I got a decent deal considering.

As of Feb 1, 2013, Amazon is charging sales tax at least here in AZ.  I suspect if online sales tax hasn't hit your states/countries yet, its just a matter of time.  Amazon does have presence in Arizona, maybe that is why.   So far it just seems to be Amazon, I just ordered a filter from Adorama without a sales tax charge.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 11:00:23 PM »
+1

Very few actually pay MSRP for any product. I got mine for $2599. Others found deals even cheaper than that. Just keep your eyes open, and when you find a good deal, grab it!

Oh except for that "purple" guy's family that paid over 4k for his surprise "gift" 5DIII.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

sanfranchristo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 12:21:48 AM »
In defense of the OP's sentiment, we have become conditioned to the price of most electronics dropping in price with each successive generation more so than this range of DSLRs have. From the outside, it's hard to know exactly what the P&L looks like for the 5Diii - it clearly leverages much from the previous model that is "paid for" many times over (from an R&D perspective), and shares some features and presumably development costs with other current generation models. It's not unreasonable to think that it should be priced X% less than the 5Dii, which should have been priced X% less than the 5Dc in a relatively new and rapidly advancing and technology space. Look at not only the specs of the point-and-shoots, but also the prices - they have generally dropped significantly as quality improved, where as the DSLRs in the 5D range haven't. At this point we just have to accept that brand loyalty (or being bound) to one of a few options makes these more like specialized Apple products or proprietary game consoles that will keep adding new functionality without necessarily coming down in price and less like commoditized categories such as TVs and point-and-shoots. (Having said that, I still think it's unacceptable that the 5Diii didn't launch at least a bit less than the 5dii was originally.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 12:21:48 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 12:52:56 AM »
There were several sales in the $2500 to $2750 range already. These are clearly is a wink-wink-nod-nod understanding between retailers and Canon, as even authorized dealers got in the game via ebay. This is how the companies manage price drops from initial high pricing which targets early adoptors who will pay a premium.

I think 5DIII will gradually settle down in the ~$2750. You will have periodic firesales at deeper savings like the one we saw couple of months back for $2500 or smaller rebates at $2800....but it is clear where it is headed.

However, once it hits the stable $2500 mark, I don't think further reduction should be expected until few months before the end of cycle for the body.

5D3 sales for ~$2500 have happened already and are bound to happen again. Just get one then.

Yep

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 12:54:50 AM »
Buy the 5d mark iii with the lens 24-105 from Amazon,...then sell the lens on Craiglist for,.... 750 or 800 and your body will be 2500.
The lens is crap for me but it generates money fast,.... cause a lot of people love it.
For me the f4 stop, strong purple hazing and pronounced distortion make it impossible to like.
Any person which is not dead center of picture, has egg shaped head,...i feel like a cannibal....want to eat them.

Good luck.

Could you please some sample photos which make you hungry. I want to learn. Please.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 12:54:50 AM »