September 23, 2014, 02:51:58 AM

Author Topic: Panasonic's new color splitting method increases sensor efficiency  (Read 907 times)

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
here's an interesting story.
Instead of the color filters used on typical Bayer or other patterned image sensors, this is a color-splitting method based on diffraction within the sensor surface.
This could utilize significantly more incoming light to create electrons for readout signal.
Overall increase in effective QE and SNR possible.

IMO, This may be a method better suited to tiny pixels in small sensors rather than larger sensors and larger pixels in higher end cameras. Either way, an interesting and promising development.

http://photorumors.com/2013/02/04/panasonic-to-double-sensors-sensitivity-with-unique-micro-color-splitters/#more-38804

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Panasonic's new color splitting method increases sensor efficiency
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:13:32 PM »
While I see how it works, I'm doubting the claim of better low light performance of a actual camera (which does not exist).  The light loss seems to me to merely be moved to a different place. That very tiny diffraction grating is 100% efficient, but light that does not strike it is reflected back and lost while all of the light that strikes a color filter is kept, even if its 50% efficient.  How good will the top micro lenses be at focusing all the light on the diffraction grating??

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »
I feel like they wouldn't have presented it to a scientific journal if their claims weren't accurate.

I'm always very excited to read about these kinds of breakthroughs.
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »