November 25, 2014, 07:35:58 PM

Author Topic: BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here  (Read 130867 times)

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here
« Reply #1485 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:47 AM »
One more from yesterday. The 7D2/400 5.6 "pocket rocket" combo  :)

Beautiful shot. Excellent timing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1485 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:47 AM »

Skatol

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Richardson Photographic
« Reply #1486 on: November 21, 2014, 10:36:09 AM »
One more from yesterday. The 7D2/400 5.6 "pocket rocket" combo. You may wish to avert your eyes if you find "crop" sensor high ISO noise disturbing. Don't say I didn't warn you  :)
Wonderful series Brian.  Looks like the MII is holding it's own.  Just curious as to what ISO this was shot at.  Trying to get real world idea of how it compares to the 1DMIV.  Maybe I'll see you at the dam sometime.  Hopefully will be down next weekend if the snow isn't too deep.
1DIV, 5DIII, 7D and too many lenses to list.
Too much time, too little gear...scratch that, reverse it.

GraFax

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: November 21, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »
One more from yesterday. The 7D2/400 5.6 "pocket rocket" combo. You may wish to avert your eyes if you find "crop" sensor high ISO noise disturbing. Don't say I didn't warn you  :)
Wonderful series Brian.  Looks like the MII is holding it's own.  Just curious as to what ISO this was shot at.  Trying to get real world idea of how it compares to the 1DMIV.  Maybe I'll see you at the dam sometime.  Hopefully will be down next weekend if the snow isn't too deep.

Still pretty quiet at the dam. Only about 50 eagles or so there yesterday.  :)  It's a great spot. I think the first was at ISO 1600. I believe the second, which is from a different run, was actually only at 1000. The 7D2 works great for me and my handheld shooting style. I've never owned a ID4 so can't say about that. Hope to see you there. I'm easy to spot, I'll be just about the only guy without a tripod or a 500/600 f4.

GraFax

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: November 22, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
Here is one for folks who might like to put together long reach combo's with the 7D2. I shot for an hour or so this morning at Conowingo Dam handheld with the 7D2, 400 5.6L and 1.4x ii tele yielding an effective focal length of approximately 900mm. Sadly, the results were not very good. The 7D2 seems to focus fine at f8. It even tracked reasonably well. You can't use the Zone AF modes but you can use assisted center point and it had no trouble holding focus.

I think the problem probably is the 400 5.6L. I think the 7D2's resolution is about all it can take. It's an old design and I suppose modern ultra-high res sensors may have caught up to the pocket rocket. The 1.4x just puts it over the edge. 900mm is a lot to ask from such a small object lens. Even at 1/3200s the photos are mushy at 100%. I generally like 1/4x-focal-length for BIF's so maybe 1/3600 or 1/4000 would be better.  But, stop down to f11 to help sharpness and now you are maxing the ISO.

So, maybe on a tripod for something that moves slower than Bald Eagles you may be able to get something decent but I wouldn't count on it. YMMV. A new body always seems to trigger another Lens upgrade cycle.

Anyway, here is one that is just about as good as I could do. It's not cropped at all. Cropping these was a non-starter. It works fine as a small image but even at page size it's pretty mushy. I think these would likely  have been better shot without the 1.4x and cropped but I'm not sure. That is always tough to call.

I suppose if I was just trying to capture a rare animal or some unusual behavior it would be fine as a photo record if that is what you are into. - Brian
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:18:29 PM by GraFax »

GraFax

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: November 22, 2014, 05:44:04 PM »
The is with the 7D2 / 4005.6L bare lens combo taken a few minutes prior to the previous posted photo. The light is better so the ISO on this is 400 vs 2000 on the last. But a 1.4x really costs you two stops of light with BIFs. You lose a stop plus you have to stop down for sharpness and increase shutter speed. Shutter speed for this is 1/2500 but should have been faster. These two were really going at it over that fish.

This has been cropped to about the same field of view as if I had used the 1.4xii. Although 7D2 images don't tolerate much cropping this looks far better to me.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:48:01 PM by GraFax »

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: November 22, 2014, 05:46:12 PM »
Great shots Brian. I especially like the first picture. Well done.

GraFax

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: November 22, 2014, 05:54:34 PM »
One more just for fun! The immature (lower) eagle does a full 360 claws up back-flip at 40 mph. They really are fun to watch. If I haven't said it enough, loving the 7D2's AF. This was a total point, spray and pray. These two came rocketing out of the trees right over my head. I had my coffee thermos in my left hand. Camera hanging  from BR sling strap. Needless to say the thermos went flying. Luckily I didn't hit anybody with the thermos. IMO these are in much better focus than I had any right to expect. Nice.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:20:22 PM by GraFax »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1491 on: November 22, 2014, 05:54:34 PM »

GraFax

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: November 22, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »
Great shots Brian. I especially like the first picture. Well done.

Thanks Click. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: November 22, 2014, 08:35:29 PM »
Here is one for folks who might like to put together long reach combo's with the 7D2. I shot for an hour or so this morning at Conowingo Dam handheld with the 7D2, 400 5.6L and 1.4x ii tele yielding an effective focal length of approximately 900mm. Sadly, the results were not very good. The 7D2 seems to focus fine at f8. It even tracked reasonably well. You can't use the Zone AF modes but you can use assisted center point and it had no trouble holding focus.

I think the problem probably is the 400 5.6L. I think the 7D2's resolution is about all it can take. It's an old design and I suppose modern ultra-high res sensors may have caught up to the pocket rocket. The 1.4x just puts it over the edge. 900mm is a lot to ask from such a small object lens. Even at 1/3200s the photos are mushy at 100%. I generally like 1/4x-focal-length for BIF's so maybe 1/3600 or 1/4000 would be better.  But, stop down to f11 to help sharpness and now you are maxing the ISO.

So, maybe on a tripod for something that moves slower than Bald Eagles you may be able to get something decent but I wouldn't count on it. YMMV. A new body always seems to trigger another Lens upgrade cycle.

Anyway, here is one that is just about as good as I could do. It's not cropped at all. Cropping these was a non-starter. It works fine as a small image but even at page size it's pretty mushy. I think these would likely  have been better shot without the 1.4x and cropped but I'm not sure. That is always tough to call.

I suppose if I was just trying to capture a rare animal or some unusual behavior it would be fine as a photo record if that is what you are into. - Brian

Great series GraFax

Thank you for sharing
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

DominoDude

• Canon 7D MK II
  • 3 out of 2 voices in my head says I have DID.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: November 22, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »
One more just for fun! The immature (lower) eagle does a full 360 claws up back-flip at 40 mph. They really are fun to watch. If I haven't said it enough, loving the 7D2's AF. This was a total point, spray and pray. These two came rocketing out of the trees right over my head. I had my coffee thermos in my left hand. Camera hanging  from BR sling strap. Needless to say the thermos went flying. Luckily I didn't hit anybody with the thermos. IMO these are in much better focus than I had any right to expect. Nice.

Lovely action!
I don't envy you the slightest... *pouts, sobs and kicks the dirt* ;)
Things you learn with age: No matter how are you drunk *hic!* you will never be able to do a clean sha*hic!*aaave with an electric foot file. *waves fist at Scholl*

GraFax

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: November 22, 2014, 09:37:45 PM »

Lovely action!

Thanks DominoDude. We are very fortunate to have the Eagles for 3-4 weeks every autumn as they move south to find food. Many of them gather near a local Hydroelectric Dam called Conowingo where the water never freezes, the fish are plentiful and they are protected.

Although there can be a lot of Eagles, they are not as plentiful as the photographers. There must have been hundreds of photographers there today. When all of the shutters are going at once it sounds like machine gun fire. But it's lots of fun for everybody and the Eagles have a safe place to hunt for a few weeks.

These birds were very rare in this area 30 years ago. Now they seem to be doing very well.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:42:32 PM by GraFax »

GraFax

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: November 22, 2014, 09:46:48 PM »

Great series GraFax

Thank you for sharing

Thanks Dylan, I think some folks are curious about the 7D2 for BIFs so I've been trying to post some samples as I shoot them. Hope folks find it interesting. Plus, photographing those eagle is so freaking addictive. Nice to have something to do with the pics.

DominoDude

• Canon 7D MK II
  • 3 out of 2 voices in my head says I have DID.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: November 23, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »

Lovely action!

Thanks DominoDude. We are very fortunate to have the Eagles for 3-4 weeks every autumn as they move south to find food. Many of them gather near a local Hydroelectric Dam called Conowingo where the water never freezes, the fish are plentiful and they are protected.

Although there can be a lot of Eagles, they are not as plentiful as the photographers. There must have been hundreds of photographers there today. When all of the shutters are going at once it sounds like machine gun fire. But it's lots of fun for everybody and the Eagles have a safe place to hunt for a few weeks.

These birds were very rare in this area 30 years ago. Now they seem to be doing very well.
*nods*
We have around 700 nesting couples of Golden Eagles in the entire Sweden, and the White-tailed Eagle (most similar to your Bald Eagle) consists of roughly 500 nesting couples (>2000 individuals). They're slowly coming back, after being severely hit by the effects of PCB, DDT and similar toxins up 'til about the mid 70's. If I remember correctly the shells of their eggs got weakened and soft due to DDT and that had a huge impact. I can imagine that the data and situation is of the same kind on your side of the Atlantic.
Things you learn with age: No matter how are you drunk *hic!* you will never be able to do a clean sha*hic!*aaave with an electric foot file. *waves fist at Scholl*

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1497 on: November 23, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »

DiSnapper

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Goin to wait for user reviews and insights on 7D2
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1498 on: Today at 03:08:24 PM »
Canon 7D with Canon 70-200 L2.8 IS ii USM+Canon 2X Extender iii

Post processing: Contrast tweeking, selective noise reduction and sharpning. Canon DPP and GIMP

Northern Pintail landing

IMG_6731 dss
by Ganugapenta NaveenKumar Reddy, on Flickr

Osprey

IMG_6833 dss

Common Pochard male making a turn in air

IMG_6700 dss

Glossy Ibis landing

IMG_7075 dss
Canon 7D, Canon 400D, Canon A-1, Canon FD 50mm 1.4, Canon FD 100-200mm 5.6, canon 18-55 3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm 1.8 ii, Canon 70-200 IS 2.8 ii L USM , Canon 2x extender iii, Opteka 6.5mm 3.5, Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 DG Macro, Sigma 170-500mm 5.6-6.3,

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: Today at 03:18:38 PM »
I really like your last picture DiSnapper. Nicely done.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1499 on: Today at 03:18:38 PM »