July 25, 2014, 06:14:38 PM

Author Topic: Show your Bird Portraits  (Read 626685 times)

TBiRD

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Show your Bird Portraits
« Reply #2310 on: August 19, 2013, 04:52:20 AM »

5DIII + 70-200 f/2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2310 on: August 19, 2013, 04:52:20 AM »

Pierre Bonenfant

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: August 19, 2013, 05:58:22 AM »
Going for the photographer, duck!
Pierre, great angle.

Hi all,

Here's a bald eagle taken in Nova Scotia.

1DlV/ 800mm F5.6

Visit my galleryhttp://www.pbase.com/pbon

LOL....Nikon eagle trained to attack red rings ;D
Great shot, Pierre.

;D

You guy's crack  me up!

It was taken at a festival and they feed the birds occasinnally  with chickens from the farmer's around.

P. Bonenfant

Visit my gallery: http://www.pbase.com/profile

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: August 19, 2013, 06:13:50 AM »
LOL....Nikon eagle trained to attack red rings ;D

LOL  ;D Nice one serendipidy  ;D

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: August 19, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
Does anyone know what this bird is?

It's tiny, just a bit bigger than a chickadee, and there were two of them on the sand at the edge of the Ottawa river, near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It would use it's beak to quickly probe the sand.
The best camera is the one in your hands

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #2314 on: August 19, 2013, 01:18:18 PM »

It's tiny, just a bit bigger than a chickadee, and there were two of them on the sand at the edge of the Ottawa river, near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It would use it's beak to quickly probe the sand.

I'm inclined to say it is a Least Sandpiper, which is the smallest of the shorebirds (and only slightly larger than a Chickadee). I almost said Baird's, however they have dark gray legs, and are slightly larger...and have maybe a slightly longer bill.

For reference, here are a couple shots of these birds. First is Bairds, second is Least:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:38:24 PM by jrista »
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: August 19, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »
I'm inclined to say it is a Least Sandpiper, which is the smallest of the shorebirds (and only slightly larger than a Chickadee). I almost said Baird's, however they have dark gray legs, and are slightly larger...and have maybe a slightly longer bill.

Actually, you did say Baird's, before the edit.   ;)

But I'm inclined to agree that it's a least sandpiper. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #2316 on: August 19, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »

I took a closer look at the legs, which looked gray at first. Given that they are yellow, definitely not Baird's. And it was "almost"...I did edit. :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:32:32 PM by jrista »
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2316 on: August 19, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: August 19, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »

I took a closer look at the legs, which looked gray at first. Given that they are yellow, definitely not Baird's. And it was "almost"...I did edit. :P

Thanks!!!!!
The best camera is the one in your hands

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #2318 on: August 19, 2013, 03:39:43 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's a Least Sandpiper, although I'm surprised to see it that far south at this time of year.  It's a bit early for the fall migration to have started.
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #2319 on: August 19, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's a Least Sandpiper, although I'm surprised to see it that far south at this time of year.  It's a bit early for the fall migration to have started.

It's been pretty cold to the north this year. I wouldn't be surprised if birds start migrating a little sooner. I don't expect to see migrants until September myself, but it could be earlier in September than normal.
My Photography

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #2320 on: August 19, 2013, 04:17:30 PM »

Thanks!!!!!

If you like birds, the best app purchase I ever made was Sibley's Bird Guide for mobile phones. It has some extensive information on how to identify birds, and has a huge catalog of over 800 species native to north america (and some very rare visitors from other continents.) It was what I used when I first identified the Least Sandpiper in the photo I linked.
My Photography

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: August 19, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »

Very nice shot Don. Well done.

IslanderMV

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Bernier Photography
« Reply #2322 on: August 19, 2013, 07:29:12 PM »

It is a Least Sandpiper juvenile. I photographed one here on the 9th. (  Confirmed by local bird experts, and a new early arrival record for the area) My pict is almost identical to yours - it is spooky.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2322 on: August 19, 2013, 07:29:12 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: August 19, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »
If you like birds, the best app purchase I ever made was Sibley's Bird Guide for mobile phones. It has some extensive information on how to identify birds, and has a huge catalog of over 800 species native to north america (and some very rare visitors from other continents.) It was what I used when I first identified the Least Sandpiper in the photo I linked.

+1 - it's how I knew it wasn't a Baird's.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ejenner

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: August 19, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
I'm really in awe of the photos on here, especially the Hummingbirds over the last few pages.  And the Osprey.

So far this is the best I've done with an action shot.  A Cooper's Hawk in Downtown Denver.  It flung the squirrel off a tree trunk which gave me just enough time to point the camera and take a burst as it was going in for the kill.

Second one and third are the Hawk after stashing it's kill.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2324 on: August 19, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »