November 28, 2014, 12:14:13 PM

Author Topic: Show your Bird Portraits  (Read 811663 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Show your Bird Portraits
« Reply #2325 on: August 20, 2013, 01:14:22 PM »
I'm inclined to say it is a Least Sandpiper, which is the smallest of the shorebirds (and only slightly larger than a Chickadee). I almost said Baird's, however they have dark gray legs, and are slightly larger...and have maybe a slightly longer bill.

Actually, you did say Baird's, before the edit.   ;)

But I'm inclined to agree that it's a least sandpiper.

There were two yesterday and about 20 today.... I checked my bird books again and they are about the first of the migrating birds to pass through here.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2325 on: August 20, 2013, 01:14:22 PM »

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: August 20, 2013, 01:17:46 PM »
I believe this one is a Greater Yellowlegs...

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #2327 on: August 20, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »

Aye, Greater Yellowlegs. Key differences are the slightly larger size, and the longer, slightly upturned bill on the greater. Really good shots, Don. Nice, close up, sharp and detailed. I can't wait till these beauties start migrating through Colorado again.

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: August 20, 2013, 01:39:59 PM »
Ah, since we're on the topic here's one I shot in April I thought was a lesser yellowlegs but I'm being told it's not.  Any idea?

It's a fair sized bird maybe about the size of a Canadian robin.

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: August 20, 2013, 02:48:06 PM »
Ah, since we're on the topic here's one I shot in April I thought was a lesser yellowlegs but I'm being told it's not.  Any idea?

Jack
One of the defining characteristics of the greater and lesser yellowlegs is "bright yellow legs". My shot above has no colour corrections or adjustments made to it, the legs really are that yellow....

Could yours be a solitary sandpiper? Where did you see it? What part of the world and what habitat? It would make it easier to ID.

jthomson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: August 20, 2013, 02:53:54 PM »

Jack

I'd go with solitary sandpiper as well.

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: August 20, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »

Jack

Jack
It's a green sandpiper. I took a photo of one with a little egret and a dragonfly on Sunday. Guess which is which?
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600, EOS-M, 18-55, f/2 22.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2331 on: August 20, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: August 20, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »

Jack

Jack
It's a green sandpiper. I took a photo of one with a little egret and a dragonfly on Sunday. Guess which is which?

Cool shot, Alan 8)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »

Yes it is...And it's a great shot also. Nicely done.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #2334 on: August 20, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »

Jack

Jack

Alan, your sandpiper is actually a bit different than Jack's. His is definitely a Solitary Sandpiper, as evidenced by the spots on its back (which your sandpiper lacks...indicating it is in non-breeding plumage, while solitaries maintain their spots in non-breeding plumage.) Additionally, I do not believe Green Sandpipers visit North America, and as Jack is from Canada, that lends more credence to the id being a Solitary Sandpiper.

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: August 20, 2013, 05:06:22 PM »

Jack

Jack

Alan, your sandpiper is actually a bit different than Jack's. His is definitely a Solitary Sandpiper, as evidenced by the spots on its back (which your sandpiper lacks...indicating it is in non-breeding plumage, while solitaries maintain their spots in non-breeding plumage.) Additionally, I do not believe Green Sandpipers visit North America, and as Jack is from Canada, that lends more credence to the id being a Solitary Sandpiper.

You are most probably right, but the green sandpiper usually does have spots on its back, mine is a juvenile bird - see Wikipedia:

"This species is a somewhat plump wader with a dark greenish-brown back and wings, greyish head and breast and otherwise white underparts. The back is spotted white to varying extents, being maximal in the breeding adult, and less in winter and young birds. The legs and short bill are both dark green.

It is conspicuous and characteristically patterned in flight, with the wings dark above and below and a brilliant white rump. The latter feature reliably distinguishes it from the slightly smaller but otherwise very similar Solitary Sandpiper (T. solitaria) of North America." Canada is part of the Commonwealth, spelling such words as colour correctly so you never who might be visiting from here. :)
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600, EOS-M, 18-55, f/2 22.

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: August 20, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »
Of course I should have given more information!  Here's another shot and it's near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and this bird has been here since early May (unless what I saw yesterday is a slightly different bird).

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

Pierre Bonenfant

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: August 20, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »
Great horned owl taken in a park in Qu├ębec city

1DlV + 800mm F5.6

Visit my gallery: http://www.pbase.com/pbon/birds__oiseaux&page=all

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2337 on: August 20, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »

fyah5dmarkiii

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: August 20, 2013, 07:42:46 PM »
Gulls from the bay. Taken with 5dmark ii and 70-200 2.8 ii.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #2339 on: August 20, 2013, 08:03:54 PM »

Jack

Jack

You are most probably right, but the green sandpiper usually does have spots on its back, mine is a juvenile bird - see Wikipedia:

"This species is a somewhat plump wader with a dark greenish-brown back and wings, greyish head and breast and otherwise white underparts. The back is spotted white to varying extents, being maximal in the breeding adult, and less in winter and young birds. The legs and short bill are both dark green.

It is conspicuous and characteristically patterned in flight, with the wings dark above and below and a brilliant white rump. The latter feature reliably distinguishes it from the slightly smaller but otherwise very similar Solitary Sandpiper (T. solitaria) of North America." Canada is part of the Commonwealth, spelling such words as colour correctly so you never who might be visiting from here. :)

"and less in winter and young birds"

"Winter" and "non-breeding" plumage are basically the same thing, so yeah, Wikipedia and I are on the same page. ;P

Fair enough about word spelling, though. :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2339 on: August 20, 2013, 08:03:54 PM »