October 20, 2014, 08:22:39 AM

Author Topic: Show your Bird Portraits  (Read 748748 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Show your Bird Portraits
« Reply #3480 on: November 26, 2013, 04:07:41 AM »
jrista, Not sure I should thank you this time as now my head is really spinning.   :)  That may relate to the fact that I've been reading all these bird set up articles and so forth instead of going to bed (it's 1:40 AM).

Anyway, thanks again.  Off to bed!

Oh BTW, can you maybe post a shot or two to illustrate sharpening - none, correct, too much, if and when you have time of course. ;)

Jack

Sure. I'll see if I can scrounge something up. I do have to say, ever since picking up the 600/4 L II, I don't really sharpen anymore. For example, the last shorebird shot, the one of the Spotted Sandpiper's head. That is a lightly cropped image that is pretty much out of camera. I think I recovered highlights a bit, and slightly tweaked the tone curve. The sharpness is all the lens and sensor.

So, first things first...the BEST way to sharpen is get sharper gear. ;) I was lucky, I had some extra money earlier in the year this year (and, I found a purely PHENOMENAL deal at a Canadian store), and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy the lens I was ultimately going to get anyway. (However, as times are a bit harder on me now, as I'm trying to go into business for myself, the extra money would have been useful...ah, hindsight, you mangy bitch.) I don't remember what lens you have, I think it is the 300/2.8 and a teleconverter or two? If that is the case, then you are off to a really good start...that is a phenomenal lens, Mark I or II, and paired with a 6D, you should have the gear to maximize your in-camera sharpness potential already.

When it comes to post-process sharpening, I'll see what I can dig up. It really depends on the subject and the circumstances. The answer might be best answered by a blog article, so I'll probably write one up and drop it in my Knowledge Center on my Blog, instead of writing it all in here.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3480 on: November 26, 2013, 04:07:41 AM »

TheJock

• Rebel T5i
  • Learning one day at a time...thanks to CR :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: November 26, 2013, 04:08:52 AM »
With this in mind jrista/Eldar, I hope you don’t mind me also hijacking to ask a question of my own?
I will also move from my beloved Microsoft Picture Manager (never shoot RAW so not used DPP yet) to some form of PS software soon, I don’t have a particular style so I would like to be able to do things like make parts of a B&W image in to colour, or to stack images on top of a single image to add multiples of something to a single image, change a sky to a nicer one from another photograph etc, so would Elements 12 be a better option than LR for me?  I fully appreciate what LR does with batches from reading CR threads, however I always seem to only want to edit parts of single images; so that (in my head) renders the batch processing redundant to me.  Sorry, I know I’ve rabbit’d on a bit here and my question became more of a comment, however do you believe that E12 is better for image manipulation and LR is for speedy corrections?? Is my interpretation right??

Thanks in advance
70D - 100-400L - 24-105L - 50 f1.8 II - 100 f2.8 USM Macro - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Sigma 610 ST.
Next on the hit list -  2xTCIII + 2x 430 EX-II
My Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/126853167@N07/

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #3482 on: November 26, 2013, 04:17:23 AM »
With this in mind jrista/Eldar, I hope you don’t mind me also hijacking to ask a question of my own?
I will also move from my beloved Microsoft Picture Manager (never shoot RAW so not used DPP yet) to some form of PS software soon, I don’t have a particular style so I would like to be able to do things like make parts of a B&W image in to colour, or to stack images on top of a single image to add multiples of something to a single image, change a sky to a nicer one from another photograph etc, so would Elements 12 be a better option than LR for me?  I fully appreciate what LR does with batches from reading CR threads, however I always seem to only want to edit parts of single images; so that (in my head) renders the batch processing redundant to me.  Sorry, I know I’ve rabbit’d on a bit here and my question became more of a comment, however do you believe that E12 is better for image manipulation and LR is for speedy corrections?? Is my interpretation right??

Thanks in advance

If you want full image editing capabilities, skip Elements and go strait for Photoshop. As much as people hate Adobe CC, they are actually starting to realize that they can get more customers by offering reasonably priced packages. At the moment, you can get Photoshop CC (and Lightroom 5) for the measly price of $9.99 a month...which is actually a phenomenally good deal (buying PS CS6 would cost you $700, which amortized out at $10/mo, means you could pay $10/mo for PS CC+LR5 for nearly 6 years before you paid as much as you would for a single CS6 license.)

The PSCC+LR5 deal, which also includes a couple extra tools, online hosting, and cloud storage as well, is only available for a limited time, so I highly recommend you take advantage of it. It will be a far better option than getting Elements. Also, digging deeply into the Adobe CC license nitty gritty, it seems that when you stop paying for CC, you still have access to all your files, and can still open (and I believe edit) them for a guaranteed 30 days, and  I believe up to 180 days (due to how the license check stuff works.) In the long term, if you don't want to be held hostage to a monthly fee, you can always buy Photoshop CS6 and install that side by side with CC, and just make sure you save all your stuff as TIFF files rather than PSD (thus guaranteeing you'll be able to open them with the older version.) This is basically what I do, and it works quite well.

TheJock

• Rebel T5i
  • Learning one day at a time...thanks to CR :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: November 26, 2013, 04:49:40 AM »
At the moment, you can get Photoshop CC (and Lightroom 5) for the measly price of $9.99 a month...which is actually a phenomenally good deal (buying PS CS6 would cost you $700, which amortized out at $10/mo, means you could pay $10/mo for PS CC+LR5 for nearly 6 years before you paid as much as you would for a single CS6 license.)

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go.
70D - 100-400L - 24-105L - 50 f1.8 II - 100 f2.8 USM Macro - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Sigma 610 ST.
Next on the hit list -  2xTCIII + 2x 430 EX-II
My Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/126853167@N07/

Mr Bean

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: November 26, 2013, 07:02:33 AM »
So, best tools? Lightroom, without question, to start. Photoshop, once you gain enough skill to understand why you need it. ;)
+1
And a +1 again. I have PS, but since buying LR earlier in the year, I've used PS maybe twice. LR does everything I need in subtle changes to an image, plus, the cataloging/tagging and searching ability is by far, one of the best features.
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

Synkka

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Synkka Imagining Flickr
« Reply #3485 on: November 26, 2013, 07:08:46 AM »
Yeah a step up in imaging tools really does make a difference and there are a lot of great tools on the market. Once you get a bit more into editing I found it helps with photography because you learn more about the data capturing and what you can accomplish in post.

Snagged this egret shot today, pretty pleased as this iso 3200 and this is more than sharp enough for anything i use these pictures for.

Great-Egret by Synkka~, on Flickr

Mr Bean

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: November 26, 2013, 07:17:03 AM »
Yeah a step up in imaging tools really does make a difference and there are a lot of great tools on the market. Once you get a bit more into editing I found it helps with photography because you learn more about the data capturing and what you can accomplish in post.

Snagged this egret shot today, pretty pleased as this iso 3200 and this is more than sharp enough for anything i use these pictures for.

Great-Egret by Synkka~, on Flickr
Nice pic. I find the 5D3 works well at ISO 1600-3200 when I use uncropped images. Even at ISO 1600 I can crop, but turn the NR up to +20 or so in LR, and the noise smooths out nicely. The thing I'm learning in LR is the subtle changes that you can make, just to tweak the image. The "highlight" slider is one that I've recently discovered, and how it brings out the detail that I thought was blown out :)
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3486 on: November 26, 2013, 07:17:03 AM »

Synkka

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Synkka Imagining Flickr
« Reply #3487 on: November 26, 2013, 07:23:46 AM »
Yeah you are right the noise is a lot easier to remove, and the highlight slider comes in handy with white birds.

One of the big things I have found getting more into post I like to have a workflow that keeps my photo editing time minimal. I tend to get most of my pics roughly corrected and only if i have a particularly difficult picture or something special do i spend more time on it. I would always rather be out taking photos than sitting at a desk editing them.

chauncey

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: November 26, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
That's right...turn to the side and look back at the camera...perfect...
I once asked this ole country boy how they cook wild turkey, he responded..."Ya cut off the head, dip in boiling water to get rid of the feathers, cook it at 350 for about 4 hours or so, grind it up and feed it to the dogs...then go buy a Butterball"

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: November 26, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »
That's right...turn to the side and look back at the camera...perfect...
I once asked this ole country boy how they cook wild turkey, he responded..."Ya cut off the head, dip in boiling water to get rid of the feathers, cook it at 350 for about 4 hours or so, grind it up and feed it to the dogs...then go buy a Butterball"

Beautiful photo....I love Butterball turkeys.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #3490 on: November 27, 2013, 06:53:27 AM »
Okay, I'm done attacking my own reflection in your car's paint, and sure I'll pose for you:

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: November 27, 2013, 11:53:57 AM »
With a beak like that what about the paint?! :)

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #3492 on: November 27, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »
With a beak like that what about the paint?! :)

Jack
Luckily there was no damage - but it gave new meaning to the "mirror finish" my car wax promised :) 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3492 on: November 27, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »

sanjosedave

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: November 27, 2013, 01:57:51 PM »
Colusa, CA Wildlife Preserve. Heron in Repose. LR 5.x, Snap Art 3

DIABLO

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: November 27, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »
The Great Blue Heron, or the bird you will always see no matter what time of year, place, or time zone. lol.
One shot, One photo, One moment frozen in time

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3494 on: November 27, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »