November 28, 2014, 04:13:47 AM

Author Topic: Show your Bird Portraits  (Read 811174 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Show your Bird Portraits
« Reply #5460 on: May 07, 2014, 01:13:11 AM »
Glossy/White-faced Ibis Hybrid

Common to Colorado are the White-faced Ibis. They are beautiful birds, long slender necks, burgundy feathers with green wings and a patchwork of faintly colored feathers on their backs. These birds are fairly elusive here in Colorado, and they have been a target of mine for a couple years now. I've seen flocks flying overhead, usually at sunset, and only been able to get remote silhouette shots.

A couple days ago, at the Cottonwood Creek wetland, a good-sized flock of Ibis were hanging out, bathing and preening in the calmer backwaters of the wetland ponds. After some time carefully getting into position, I finally managed to get some nice shots of these beautiful waders. Once they were finally framed in my lens, I realized that at least one, if not a few, looked like Glossy Ibis. A VERY similar bird, the Glossy Ibis is endemic to the Everglades of Florida, and very rarely ventures anywhere else. The key difference is the very thin white border around the Glossies face, where as the White-faced has a much larger border that blends into their burgundy and green head and neck feathers. However the face on the Ibis in front of me was a thin and mottled white line...somewhat different from a Glossy.

The White-faced and Glossy Ibis have only a very small region of the Gulf Coast where they cohabitate a couple times a year. In my research to identify the bird I've captured here, the only photos that looked identical were labeled "White-faced/Glossy Ibis Hybrid". I'm honestly unsure how common a hybrid cross between White-faced and Glossy Ibis is, however given the small overlap in their ranges, I suspect it can't be that much more common in Colorado than the Glossy itself.

Hybridized Ibis
White-faced and Glossy

Cottonwood Creek Wetland
Cherry Creek, Colorado

Canon EOS 7D
Canon EF 600mm f/4 L II
Gitzo GT3532LS + Jobu Pro 2

Read more on my blog.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:16:28 AM by jrista »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5460 on: May 07, 2014, 01:13:11 AM »

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: May 07, 2014, 01:27:15 AM »
Jrista, cool bird, nice shots!  Winter has returned with snow the last two days - ugh.

As your Prez says, expect worse weather from here on! 

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #5462 on: May 07, 2014, 01:42:53 AM »
Jrista, cool bird, nice shots!  Winter has returned with snow the last two days - ugh.

As your Prez says, expect worse weather from here on! 

Jack

Well, our Prez, the narcissistic god-complexed emperor-savior, is an blazing idiot-buffoon, so don't listen to him! :P

Winter is ending. It's only really been in the last two weeks that things went from still freezing at night, to 65 degrees at night and high 70's during the day. If that only happened to us down here, it's probably still a couple weeks or so for you guys higher north. Life always finds a way to force itself forth again.

sanjosedave

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Powershot SX 50 HS - backyard bird
« Reply #5463 on: May 07, 2014, 01:59:31 AM »
Powershot SX 50 hand held

iso 800; f5.6; 1/500; focal length 161.191

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #5464 on: May 07, 2014, 02:42:14 AM »

Common to Colorado are the White-faced Ibis. They are beautiful birds, long slender necks, burgundy feathers with green wings and a patchwork of faintly colored feathers on their backs. These birds are fairly elusive here in Colorado, and they have been a target of mine for a couple years now. I've seen flocks flying overhead, usually at sunset, and only been able to get remote silhouette shots.

A couple days ago, at the Cottonwood Creek wetland, a good-sized flock of Ibis were hanging out, bathing and preening in the calmer backwaters of the wetland ponds. After some time carefully getting into position, I finally managed to get some nice shots of these beautiful waders. Once they were finally framed in my lens, I realized that at least one, if not a few, looked like Glossy Ibis. A VERY similar bird, the Glossy Ibis is endemic to the Everglades of Florida, and very rarely ventures anywhere else. The key difference is the very thin white border around the Glossies face, where as the White-faced has a much larger border that blends into their burgundy and green head and neck feathers. However the face on the Ibis in front of me was a thin and mottled white line...somewhat different from a Glossy.

The White-faced and Glossy Ibis have only a very small region of the Gulf Coast where they cohabitate a couple times a year. In my research to identify the bird I've captured here, the only photos that looked identical were labeled "White-faced/Glossy Ibis Hybrid". I'm honestly unsure how common a hybrid cross between White-faced and Glossy Ibis is, however given the small overlap in their ranges, I suspect it can't be that much more common in Colorado than the Glossy itself.

Hybridized Ibis
White-faced and Glossy

Cottonwood Creek Wetland
Cherry Creek, Colorado

Canon EOS 7D
Canon EF 600mm f/4 L II

Those are beautiful shots Jrista!

Looking at a lot of the posts on this site, I really envy you who can go out and shoot bigger and more exotic birds. With the exception of a few water birds, I only get the tiny traditional ones ... :-\
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

TheJock

• Rebel T5i
  • Learning one day at a time...thanks to CR :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: May 07, 2014, 05:37:29 AM »
i just upgraded to a 70D from a T4i. i am LOVIN this new camera  :D
The 70D is quite an upgrade from the rebels, I upgraded from a 550D (not sure what Rebel that is, maybe a T3i) and it just amazes me on its capabilities every time I use it, I took a couple of shots at ISO 128,000 and there was about the same “grain” as I would see at ISO 1600 on the 550D, for me it’s still a gazillion miles beyond my capabilities or understanding at present, and I hope it will remain like that for the next 2 years at least, then I’ll be looking for a 5DIII, BUT, the 70D will be my back up and wildlife body then.
70D - 100-400L - 24-105L - 50 f1.8 II - 100 f2.8 USM Macro - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Sigma 610 ST.
Next on the hit list -  2xTCIII + 2x 430 EX-II
My Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/126853167@N07/

dpc

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: May 07, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
Not the best picture. A bit soft since was shot at f/32. Still, I like it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5466 on: May 07, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #5467 on: May 07, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
You have posted a lot of cool images lately dpc! These last ones radiates sound and action.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #5468 on: May 07, 2014, 11:19:15 AM »
Common Goldeneye, male
This is one of my favorite ducks, with very cute kids.
1DX, 600mm f4L IS II + 1.4xIII
1/500s, f5.6, ISO1600, handheld

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #5469 on: May 07, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »
Those are beautiful shots Jrista!

Looking at a lot of the posts on this site, I really envy you who can go out and shoot bigger and more exotic birds. With the exception of a few water birds, I only get the tiny traditional ones ... :-\

Thanks, Eldar! The Ibis are about as rare and exotic as birds get, here. You have been able to capture some wonderful shots of pretty rare birds yourself, like that one duck species. Colorado is actually a pretty poor place for bird photography...we have very short windows of time each year where a wider variety of birds move through, and if you aren't out there every day, checking all the hotspots at different times a day (very difficult when you have a job), you miss most of the more exotic species.

You also seem to have some rather docile birds. I can never get as close as you do. :P

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #5470 on: May 07, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »

Hybridized Ibis
White-faced and Glossy

Cottonwood Creek Wetland
Cherry Creek, Colorado

Canon EOS 7D
Canon EF 600mm f/4 L II

Read more on my blog.

That is a beautiful bird and wonderful captured. Thank you for your very informative posts!

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #5471 on: May 07, 2014, 01:57:30 PM »
You also seem to have some rather docile birds. I can never get as close as you do. :P
I´m not sure you would say that if you joined me on a trip. It often takes me a couple of hours of very careful movements and lots of sit-still-and-be-patient time to get them close enough. Some duck species are easy though

The other day I spotted an Eurasian Teal, which is rather rare this far north. It was too far away, but I thought he would come my way, so I sat patiently in a spot, very quiet and still. After a long time I heard a low whisper next to me and I had a giant male swan studying med from 4-5 feet away, with his head and wings held in their aggressive posture and I was sitting on my but, with the tripod and 600mm over my lap. You don´t mess with them! First instinct was to run, second was to sit still, which i did. After a while he lost interest and glided away. Puuhhh! An hour later I could conclude that I would not get an image of the Eurasian Teal ...

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #5472 on: May 07, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »
I´m not sure you would say that if you joined me on a trip. It often takes me a couple of hours of very careful movements and lots of sit-still-and-be-patient time to get them close enough. Some duck species are easy though

The other day I spotted an Eurasian Teal, which is rather rare this far north. It was too far away, but I thought he would come my way, so I sat patiently in a spot, very quiet and still. After a long time I heard a low whisper next to me and I had a giant male swan studying med from 4-5 feet away, with his head and wings held in their aggressive posture and I was sitting on my but, with the tripod and 600mm over my lap. You don´t mess with them! First instinct was to run, second was to sit still, which i did. After a while he lost interest and glided away. Puuhhh! An hour later I could conclude that I would not get an image of the Eurasian Teal ...

You and I seem to have similar tactics and experiences. :) I spend hours getting close. I've sat, covered in camo, on the muddy shores of various wetlands and ponds and lakes, for hours for birds to get comfortable and close. I think that's just the bird photographer's life...patience. To get the shots of the Ibis, I spent over an hour getting close and waiting for them to do interesting things. I spent about 40 minutes getting some shots of this beautiful Black-crowned Night Heron. It's just how it is...it takes time, and most of the time, you end up with nothing for your efforts.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5472 on: May 07, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »

dpc

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: May 07, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »
You have posted a lot of cool images lately dpc! These last ones radiates sound and action.

Thanks! Pelicans are my bird of the moment. Fortunately they are easy to photograph.

dpc

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: May 07, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
Tufted duck
This is an example for everyone who believe the 600 f4L IS II combined with the 2xIII extender is not sharp enough. This image is cropped to about 50% of the full image size. Photographed in light rain.
1DX, 1/500s, f8.0, ISO4000

Beautiful shots of the ducks. LOVE THE DETAIL.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5474 on: May 07, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »