September 20, 2014, 06:24:59 AM

Author Topic: Which Gitzo: GT3532LS or GT3542LS?  (Read 10653 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Which Gitzo: GT3532LS or GT3542LS?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 04:51:29 AM »
I guess the only drawback I see with the XLS vs. the LS is its collapsed height. It is over 28" long collapsed, where as the LS is a little over 22" long. If I wanted to travel with the tripod, a 22" one would fit in a carry-on, where as a 28" one would not. At the moment that is the last thing I guess I need to decide on.

Neither would do well as a carryon, and either would fit in a checked suitcase.  That's actually why I have two tripods - the TQC-14 with BH-30 ballhead in its quiver bag fits inside my Storm im2500 carryon hard case, and is quite suitable for anything up to and including a white zoom (70-200/2.8, 100-400, 28-300).  It would hold the 600 II, but if I were to travel with that, the TVC-33 would go in checked luggage.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 04:51:29 AM »

jasonsim

• EOS M2
  • Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 10:43:59 AM »
The news Gitzo 3 series from a weight handling perspective should work fine.  Especially since the new 600 II weighs about the same as the v1 500mm IS.  I had the 800mm before the 600 II, so the greater weight of that lens and all the other stuff that bolts on was a concern.  That is what swayed me to get the 4 Series.  Most folks I spoke with actually recommended a 5 Series, but I did not want the added weight and girth (5 series is huge).

All I would say is, for the amount of mula you are spending for a new tripod, I would look to the future and get something that you will not have to replace (unless it breaks).  If you think that one day you will want to get a RRS tripod, I'd suggest just getting one now.  You might save some $$$ now by getting a 3 series on Amazon, but will loose a lot if you try selling it later to get the RRS.  Buy once, not twice or three times. 

You could always save your Amazon points to purchase things like a Lenscoat for the 600mm or a replacement foot, or Don Zeck front cap, etc.

Kind regards,
Jason Simmons
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »
The news Gitzo 3 series from a weight handling perspective should work fine.  Especially since the new 600 II weighs about the same as the v1 500mm IS.  I had the 800mm before the 600 II, so the greater weight of that lens and all the other stuff that bolts on was a concern.  That is what swayed me to get the 4 Series.  Most folks I spoke with actually recommended a 5 Series, but I did not want the added weight and girth (5 series is huge).

All I would say is, for the amount of mula you are spending for a new tripod, I would look to the future and get something that you will not have to replace (unless it breaks).  If you think that one day you will want to get a RRS tripod, I'd suggest just getting one now.  You might save some $$$ now by getting a 3 series on Amazon, but will loose a lot if you try selling it later to get the RRS.  Buy once, not twice or three times. 

You could always save your Amazon points to purchase things like a Lenscoat for the 600mm or a replacement foot, or Don Zeck front cap, etc.

Kind regards,
Jason Simmons

Well, I guess I am not quite convinced that the RRS is enough better than the Gitzos, which are themselves very good, that it warrants paying almost double the price. The Gitzo will certainly do the job, and as I mentioned before, all of the professional or other highly skilled bird and wildlife photographers I follow seem to use Gitzo exclusively, so it can't be all that bad of a brand. I also have no doubts that the Gitzo will last me for...well, forever, barring some random unknown event that breaks it for me ( ::)).

On top of that, I have a bunch of Gitzo parts and cleaning supplies, such as the grease used for the joints and such, that came with my other Gitzo Series 0 Mountaineer (GT0541). I guess I also feel it would be nice to stay within the family.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

jasonsim

• EOS M2
  • Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »

Kind regards,
Jason Simmons

Well, I guess I am not quite convinced that the RRS is enough better than the Gitzos, which are themselves very good, that it warrants paying almost double the price. The Gitzo will certainly do the job, and as I mentioned before, all of the professional or other highly skilled bird and wildlife photographers I follow seem to use Gitzo exclusively, so it can't be all that bad of a brand. I also have no doubts that the Gitzo will last me for...well, forever, barring some random unknown event that breaks it for me ( ::)).

On top of that, I have a bunch of Gitzo parts and cleaning supplies, such as the grease used for the joints and such, that came with my other Gitzo Series 0 Mountaineer (GT0541). I guess I also feel it would be nice to stay within the family.

Sounds good to me.  I trust Gitzo and that's why I bought another.  I have three Gitzos and they have never once let me down.  The new version 2 of their systematic line is very innovative, you will be both impressed and very pleased.  RRS I am sure is great too and I have one of their monopods which is an absolute beast.

I too purchased my Gitzo from Amazon, used my Amazon Visa points and got the Gitzo rebate to boot.  From a value stand point, you cannot go wrong.  Best of luck!
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 11:57:39 AM »
High quality eqiupment, but I feel overpriced. Seems to be a recurring theme with most photographic equipment... see Canon and their pricing!

EvilTed

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 01:13:22 PM »
I toyed with the idea of getting a RRS 34L but it is a lot more expensive for a California resident than the Gitzo.
I bought a Gitzo GT3542LS for $724 from B&H and use an Arca Swiss Z1 + RSS quick release clamp.

The whole kit is cheaper out the door than the RSS 34L.

ET

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 01:10:45 AM »
Aye, I couldn't justify the TVS-34L. It sounds really cool, and I am sure the technology is very advanced. It can apparently handle more than 100 pounds of load, too. However...I won't be putting 100 pounds of load on my tripod. Hell, I probably won't ever put 50 pounds of load on it. So, despite all of its more advanced awesomeness, I really couldn't justify the nearly-double cost.

I pulled the trigger on the GT3542XLS. I figure I'll only need to use three and a half legs most of the time, which is fine...that should mean better stability. I did want the extra flexibility to drop one of the legs down the side of a hill or mountain, though, to get better stability on uneven terrain. I think it should make it easier to get my camera right up to eye level than a 57" tripod, too. Additionally, for birds in flight, where the lens is pointed up and the viewfinder tends to drop a couple inches, the option for greater height would also be there.

I saved a bundle by buying through Amazon, and only spent about $650. That is about 60% the cost of the TVS-34L, however I think it is more like 90% as good...so it feels like a great deal to me. Should arrive tomorrow, so I'm pretty excited! Will be nice to use a more stable tripod than I have for the last year (my old one, even before breaking, was never really great...it was my first tripod ever, about four years old, a rather creaky thing, and it tended to shift at the upper joint where the legs met the tripod plate.)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 01:10:45 AM »

Flemming

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 06:28:41 AM »
Very interesting topic. I am 6"3 (191 cm) and have been eyeing the GT3542XLS as well. I have also looked at the RRS but since I am being located in Europe it will be very expensive after added VAT and import duties. Regarding the GT3542XLS I have been wondering the following. Since it so tall, I recon it will often be used with the last section only partially extended. How difficult is it to adjust the partially extended legs to make it level. Is it easy or does it involve a lot of fidling to get all 3 legs evenly extended?

What do you think.

/Flemming

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 07:11:08 AM »
How difficult is it to adjust the partially extended legs to make it level. Is it easy or does it involve a lot of fidling to get all 3 legs evenly extended?

Not too difficult to get close (I usually only partly extend the last leg sections on my TVC-33).  But unless you're shooting on flat ground (and sometimes even then), getting the platform perfectly level does mean fiddling. But with a ballhead, there's no need to level the platform.  With a gimbal head, there is - that's why I recommend the leveling base - you don't need to worry about the legs to get the platform level.

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
The suggested Gitzo tripod legs that has been suggested are the 3, 4 and 5 Series for the 600mm IS II. I'm eying the GT3542LS.

I am also looking for legs as well. Will be attaching it to the Mongoose 3.6 due to the weight. It weighs 1 lbs. 8 ounce or about 680g.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:58:05 AM by dolina »
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Flemming

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 01:09:53 PM »
Not too difficult to get close (I usually only partly extend the last leg sections on my TVC-33).  But unless you're shooting on flat ground (and sometimes even then), getting the platform perfectly level does mean fiddling. But with a ballhead, there's no need to level the platform.  With a gimbal head, there is - that's why I recommend the leveling base - you don't need to worry about the legs to get the platform level.

Thanks. Really helpful info.

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
I looked at the RRS tripods and went with a Gitzo 5532LS.
I liked the RRS but my local camera store stocks Gitzo.
I cannot imagine any gear that I may own in the future that would tax this tripod.
Yes its heavy-ish but I shot mostly architecture and transport is not an issue.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 01:47:33 PM »
Three years ago I bought a GT3541LS and it's extraordinarily stable compared to any Manfrotto I've tried. But it's achillies heel is sand and sea water. In fact it's so bad in coastal conditions that they are appalling. I recently did a trip on the Lincolnshire coast shooting grey seals and the tripod needs so many replacement parts in only 9 hours of shooting. It needs three lower tubes and all the locking joints need replacing.
In my opinion, these tripods are useless in extream sea salt and sandy conditions. They literally seize up or fall apart.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 01:47:33 PM »

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »
Well, received my new tripod a short while ago. It is a thing of beauty, I'll definitely offer that. I think I may have...miscalculated...the height though. This thing is WAAAY TALL. I all four leg sections fully extended, it is way, way above my head. Even with only three out of four sections extended, with my Jobu Pro 2 gimbal head and camera attached, the viewfinder is right at the very top of my head. I guess I forgot to account for the fact that my eyes are actually a couple inches below the top of my head. Even though I am just over 6' tall, my eye level is more like 5'8" high.. To get it all set for eye level, I have to drop the top section a couple inches, at which point it ends up just right for eye level.

I may end up having to return this in favor of the GT3532LS or GT3542LS. I am not sure I'll EVER use the fourth leg section, in which case this thing is larger at minimum size, heavier, and slightly bulkier than I really need. I guess there are a few cases where a slight overhead advantage might be worthwhile, such as BIF, or maybe night sky photography...but in general...yeah, this puppy is freakin super-tall!

Three years ago I bought a GT3541LS and it's extraordinarily stable compared to any Manfrotto I've tried. But it's achillies heel is sand and sea water. In fact it's so bad in coastal conditions that they are appalling. I recently did a trip on the Lincolnshire coast shooting grey seals and the tripod needs so many replacement parts in only 9 hours of shooting. It needs three lower tubes and all the locking joints need replacing.
In my opinion, these tripods are useless in extream sea salt and sandy conditions. They literally seize up or fall apart.

That is really surprising to hear. While I think the RRS sounds awesome, and would have picked one up instead if the price had been right, I read a LOT of bird photographer blogs and personal sites. Just about all of them, including Art Morris who is often thought of as the worlds premier bird photographer, use Gitzo on sandy beaches on a continuous basis. Many also frequently use them IN sea water if that is what is necessary to get the shot. Art Morris has some good articles about the care and maintenance of Gitzo tripods, with his preferred being the GT3532LS.
My Photography

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
Well, received my new tripod a short while ago. It is a thing of beauty, I'll definitely offer that. I think I may have...miscalculated...the height though.  This thing is WAAAY TALL.

Don't say you weren't warned...   :P

For that reason, I'd consider the 3542XLS instead of the 3452LS (although that's really a tall set of legs!).  XLS too tall, LS too short, TVC-34L would be just right.    ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »