Gear Talk > Lenses

Sigma 50 1.4 or Canon 85 1.8 OR 100 2.0 for 5d mark ii

(1/6) > >>

estercaires:
Hi folks!

I just got my 5d mark ii and still have no lenses because i want to make the best decision. Unfortunately i can only buy ONE because i sold everything i had to afford the 5d!

I`m stuck between a Sigma 50mm 1.4 and a Canon 85mm 1.8. I find them both stunning lenses and very sharp, but i just cant decide.
Will the 85mm be to long for portraits and group photos? And about the background blur, wich one will give a more smoother background, and nicer bokeh?
And the focus, i heard the 85 is much more accurate and faster. For night shots, how will the 1.8 behave?

In my research ive also read about the canon 100mm 2.0, because it woul be more like the amazing135mm 2 but should i wait a little bit more and save more money and buy the 100, is it worth it? I quite woried that it will be too long to be my only lens.
Im driving myself crazy!

Hope you can help me make the best decision so i can take the 5d out of the box and hit the streets!

elflord:

--- Quote from: estercaires on February 06, 2013, 06:33:57 AM ---Hi folks!

I just got my 5d mark ii and still have no lenses because i want to make the best decision. Unfortunately i can only buy ONE because i sold everything i had to afford the 5d!

I`m stuck between a Sigma 50mm 1.4 and a Canon 85mm 1.8. I find them both stunning lenses and very sharp, but i just cant decide.
Will the 85mm be to long for portraits and group photos? And about the background blur, wich one will give a more smoother background, and nicer bokeh?
And the focus, i heard the 85 is much more accurate and faster. For night shots, how will the 1.8 behave?

In my research ive also read about the canon 100mm 2.0, because it woul be more like the amazing135mm 2 but should i wait a little bit more and save more money and buy the 100, is it worth it? I quite woried that it will be too long to be my only lens.
Im driving myself crazy!

Hope you can help me make the best decision so i can take the 5d out of the box and hit the streets!

--- End quote ---

For night shots you'll need about double the shutter speed with the 85 because of the longer focal length and fraction of a stop difference.

The longer lens (with larger absolute aperture size) will give you better subject isolation but challenging for group shots unless you have a lot of distance to work with.

Because this will be your only lens for a while I'd lean towards the 50. Far more versatile. 

RS2021:
50mm of whatever brand is better than the other two Lenses in your case...not because the two are bad, but because they are too long to be your only lens. 40mm  is another option but it will be f2.8.

Mendolera:
All are very good.. I own the Canon 50 1.4 and the 85 1.8 and tend to lean toward the 85 with FF because I like the tighter shots. Most of my shots are my son or wife/son, so not a lot of group shots. With some room, 2-4 people group shots are doable IMO. I do find AF a litter faster on the 85 as well with my Mark III.

You will lose just a little low light capability with the 85 or 100, in both aperture and need for faster shutter speed to compensate for the focal length.

Never owned the 100 but I hear its nearly identical in performance to the 85 with just a little longer reach and a 1/3 less stop. That being said I would get the 85 because its usually $50-75 cheaper

infared:
I agree with what was said above...out of the lenses you mentioned the Sigma 50mm is a great lens and would be the most versatile. If you are new, and getting your feet wet, you may want to consider picking up a used Canon 24-105mm to get a feel for a good range of focal lengths. Then start buying your primes when you have more experience...you can always sell the zoom later......
You mention wanting to shoot groups and "hit the streets"...to me that is sounding like the better lens for you, if you want a prime may be a 35mm. Check out the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4. Killer value and if you only own one lens it could be more versatile for your needs. That is the street lens of choice for many and a good lens for groups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version